Batch 13 - Munich Helles

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

A light-colored German lager with a malty profile.
Slightly sweet with just enough bittering hops to bal-
ance the malt. This kit includes a lager yeast that will
also perform well if fermented at ale temperatures.

This one is actually a lager, not an ale. That means it has bottom fermenting lager yeast, as opposed to the top fermenting ale yeast, and also you are supposed to control the temperature of the fermentation down to near freezing.

I don't have my cooling system yet, but the box said it would still work at ale temps, so I gave it a shot. I was a little concerned because it took over 3 days to start bubbling... I've never had one take longer than 24 hours before... I was concerned I would have to run into town and get some ale yeast so I didn't lose an entire batch. But then it started fermenting, so cool.

It was worth it. I don't have the vocabulary yet to describe why, but I can tell this is not an ale, it is a lager. If I had to compare, I would say this is the closest thing to a "Miller's American Lager" I have ever made. Except better.

Looking forward to making another batch of Munich Helles once I have the cooler, to compare how the temperature difference affects the final product.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just FYI: I am currently drinking another batch of this, but this time properly lagered.

Still outstanding.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."