Vine Park, batch 1 - Rudolph's Red Nose Ale

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

From here.
Cascade and Fuggles hops along with a variety of malts give this winter warmer its charm and appeal.

Going to bottle it tomorrow. Two week turnaround time. Seventy-two twenty-five ounce bottles. About 11 cents per ounce for this batch versus Costco's 13 cents per ounce. Plus this is way more variety and better quality ingredients, smaller batches, bottles are reusable, etc.

Buddy of mine is trading my some 100-proof strawberry moonshine for a portion. My liquor cabinet's getting respectable. Need to fill it out with some nice tequila and rum.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Holy shit, that's a huge batch. My typical 4-5 gallon batches only fill up about 50 12 ounce bottles. You brew 15 gallon batches at a time?

Edited By GORDON on 1389900527
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

They take care of everything at the site. Pots, boiling, fermenting, ingredients, draining, cleaning, etc. 72 x 25 oz. is the smallest batch size they've got. You show up to toss in the hops, sugars, and other various things. Show up a couple weeks later to bottle.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ooooohhhhhh I have heard of places like that. I have thought about giving brewing lessons at my mother's bar, which is closed on Sundays. If I thought I could get a white collar clientele in this small town, I would do it and sell it as a good place for networking while brewing. I would get meth heads.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Got the expected 72 25 oz bottles plus about one extra to consume whilst bottling. Liked the taste. Need to consume more before making a final judgement. Refilled a couple growlers. Czech Pils and German Marzen.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Have brokered a deal whereby I will trade beer for 3 pints of shine. Strawberry, blackberry, vanilla hazelnut. All 100 proof. One must diversify, even in liquor. Got to let it sit for 5-6 months, so says my buddy. Out of all the kits he's got, the blackberry is supposed to be the best. Takes extra long to mature, though.