Beer in a box

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ok, I was intrigued and read it.

It is bullshit.

In about 3 1/2 hours your keg will be no longer filled with water -- it will contain beer wort (unfermented beer). At this point you just need to detach the keg from the machine (remove the hoses from the keg posts), chill the keg to room temperature (a 5G bucket of ice-water works well), add yeast and then seal the keg with an air-lock keg lid. Your beer will ferment in the keg you brewed it in in (typically) 5 days to 1 week.

When your beer has fermented you can either rack it (transfer the beer to another clean keg) or connect it directly to your kegerator pouring off the first several pints of trub. After carbonating overnight (we set ours to 20psi for this, but your mileage may vary) your beer is cold and ready to drink. Not into kegging yet? Yes, you can bottle PicoBrewed beer with the aid of a racking cane, a bottle-capper and some sterilized empty beer bottles available from your homebrew supply shop.

They aren't really skipping any steps. When I brew, it takes me about 2.5 hours, start to finish, and the only transferring I do is from the big pot I boiled it in to a big bucket in which I ferment it when I add the yeast. I don't see any actually time being saved, here. They are leaving the trub in the fermentation bucket too, it seems... cloudy beer.

They are doing "all grain," which is a pain in the ass, but the point of doing all grain is to have the pure beer brewing experience... which they automated away, anyway, so what's the point? I don't know how much that machine is going to cost, but it has to compete with about $90 worth of stand-alone equipment that is working for millions of people who are able to read and follow a page of instructions. It would have to be REAL damn cheap for me to spend any money on it.

Edited By GORDON on 1380760109
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Looked through the FAQ's... some things weren't mentioned in the original article.

Apparently this thing will have its own IP address, and can hit a website with different recipes. That is sort of interesting... but one will still have to procure the appropriate grains and hops for different recipes. So it is sorta interesting, if you want to make only half as much beer with 20% less work.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Didnt gordon comment on this already?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There's another thread somewhere
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Locked/merged with the original thread in Fermentation.