Succession of a US state

Yep.  Registration required to post.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There's been talk recently of one of those worthless White House petitions from someone in Louisiana who wants to secede from the union. There is lots of "yeah, don't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out" talk from the usual crowds (most yankees). Lots of talk of, "We will be better off without them," and "they would never survive without foreign aid."

I got in early on the Fark discussion thread the other day, and shared an opinion about it. I responded to a "they will starve without USA money" with, "Actually, I bet China would pay out the ass to be allowed to use New Orleans as a port of call for their navy." That resulted in lots of grumbles about, "Well, the USA would never allow the mouth of the Mississippi River to be in the hands of a foreign government.

So then I added, "Goodness, I bet the Independent Republic of Louisiana would have to appeal to the United Nations and could easily get 100k Russian soldiers flying a UN flag in a base 20 miles outside of Baton Rouge in 6 weeks, to protect from the aggressive stance of their neighboring country."

That led to lots of grumbles about how much they would love to kill seditious southerners, and how the USA has veto power in the UN and LA would be defenseless, and my favorite, "You would allow yourselves to become a puppet nation to the communists just to spite a black president?"

To which I responded, "Yes, I think that would be hilarious."

+++++

So, whatcha think? My personal opinion is that if you give me a thousand square miles of government land in the middle of nowhere out west, which is just a drop in the bucket of the land the government owns, I will have the surrounding states begging me to annex them within 10 years.

Now you go.

Edited By GORDON on 1352772855
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I refer to my earlier stated tenet of, "If you're going to talk shit, expect pain." Setting up a new nation in someone else's backyard goes way beyond talking shit.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:I refer to my earlier stated tenet of, "If you're going to talk shit, expect pain." Setting up a new nation in someone else's backyard goes way beyond talking shit.

Of course it goes way beyond. And, most of the country welcomes the chance to get rid and/or kill off a few ignorant, hick, federal-aid-sucking southerners, until the reality of that loss is actually illustrated to them with crayon.

But it sure is fun to dream.

Edited By GORDON on 1352773284
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."