Apple sucks

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

I'll probably check it out now.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Apple TV bringing Mythic Quest from the Always Sunny people. I would be more looking forward to this if it weren't shackled by Apple.

!rmindME 2/8/2020
It landed a couple of weeks ago, and I've heard absolutely ZERO about it. Rotten Tomatoes giving it decent scores.

Unlike the other Apple+ Shows, they dropped all the episodes.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Hmm, I'll have to give it a look. I think I'm pretty caught up on Plex movies, so this might be coming at a perfect time.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Apple runs sweat shops overseas so bad that people are killing themselves, but won't allow bad guys to use their phones on screen because they think people might then associate them with evil?

Makes sense.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Holy fucking shit. I decided to give my iPad to one of my kids, and a) setup family sharing, b) remove my account (instead of resetting the device) and c) setup her up a new account.

Good god damned this process sucked balls. Signing out should be easy, and remove all my account data, like it does on Android phones. Nope. You have to sign out of everything individually, EVEN BETTER, when you sign out of some things, IT STILL KEEPS YOUR OLD DATA. Mother fucker.

At any rate, Apple sucks, I wish everyone who made Apple software would die, and then go fuck themselves repeatedly with fiberglass shards /malcolm
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

At one point, the iPad I was logging in to, sent a two-factor authentication code TO THE SAME FUCKING DEVICE to enter to login to the device. These people are morons.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: At any rate, Apple sucks, I wish everyone who made Apple software would die, and then go fuck themselves repeatedly with fiberglass shards /malcolm
You want them to fuck themselves repeatedly with fiberglass shards and malcolm? Weird, but I second your thoughts.
TheCatt wrote: At one point, the iPad I was logging in to, sent a two-factor authentication code TO THE SAME FUCKING DEVICE to enter to login to the device.
I setup iDevices all the time and I laugh in anger every time this happens, which is essentially EVERY FUCKING TIME.

Apple is NOT a technology company.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I setup iDevices all the time and I laugh in anger every time this happens, which is essentially EVERY FUCKING TIME.

Apple is NOT a technology company.
I just... I just... WTF? Google Software >> Apple Software; Apple Hardware > Google Hardware
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

It's why I was rooting for MS phones. Someone needs to break the moronic tie between two companies who can't figure it out.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

I do support Apple's right to charge that much. End of the day, it's their hardware and their platform. Whatever price they want to charge is the correct price.

Capitalism says if you don't like it, then make your own. And that's where I get torn because this isn't opening a local gym, restaurant, etc. This is building a multibillion dollar business capable of designing and making phones, plus having all the software and support available for them. IMHO, capitalism fails at this step. Sure, it's a logical conclusion, but it's not a realistic conclusion.

I think a more realistic solution would be for app developers to all band together and boycott the Apple store until Apple reduces the fees.

Oh, and let's be honest, even if there's a change in the fees Apple charges, the consumer won't see price relief.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

The consumer might see relief, they certainly have in stock trading.

I do not support their right, because they have created a monopoly, being the only application store on their iOS platform. The market is large enough to be considered its own market, and they should either 1) allow other entrants into the market, or 2) spin it off as its own separate business, and allow competitors. Does Apple Music pay 30% of its money to Apple? Does that even make sense? What about Apple+ vs Netflix and Disney+, etc? It’s all non-competitive bullshit that shouldn’t be allowed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Interesting point about it being its own market, but is it?

I'm guessing Apple's lawyers would argue the Google Play store and the Microsoft store prove it isn't.

Also, I don't want the Apple store to get competition because them providing the sole distribution point for their mobile devices is why they haven't ended up like the virus/malware utopia Google Play.

Interesting side note: Fairway Solitaire is a game I got for my iPhone 15 years ago via a website. It's still on the store and all that, but I legit got a game without going through the AppStore back then.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

It is. If you want an app on an Apple device, which is 1.3 BILLION devices worldwide, you have to go through Apple. You cannot tell me that 1.3 BILLION devices is not a market.

Apple’s lawyers will argue all devices are the market. I say that’s a different market.

The people complaining most in that article are companies that do subscriptions. If the subscription touches Apple or the app in any way, then Apple gets 30%. Bullshit.
Cakedaddy

Apple sucks

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: I'm guessing Apple's lawyers would argue the Google Play store and the Microsoft store prove it isn't.
They could also site Burger King and Target. All places that sell things, but not iphone apps. Or I misunderstood what you were saying.

Best solution would be for the developers to boycott. HUGE selling point for Apple, especially in the early days "Millions of apps available". Those were written by the people they are fucking now. So, Apple needed them around to help sell their phone. Now that they have market share, devs need apple for exposure. Devs won't boycott, because another will step up to fill their spot. Devs are just trying to increase profits by decreasing commission costs. I'm not saying Apple isn't greedy, etc. But this is also the Dev's greed fighting back.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Apple’s lawyers will argue all devices are the market. I say that’s a different market.
TheCatt wrote:They could also site Burger King and Target. All places that sell things, but not iphone apps. Or I misunderstood what you were saying.
Here's what they'll argue: Sure, Apple strictly controls the distribution channels for their products, but they do this for the customer. They spent lots of money in securing those channels to protect their consumers from malicious products and so on. Thus, customers can download an app knowing it's a quality product and yada yada yada.

Also, Apple has no restrictions about those products being sold elsewhere. So a consumer can subscribe to Office365 on an iPhone, Android, Windows PC, whatever. They don't have to subscribe via the iTunes store. In fact, this 30% only gets applied to purchases made through the iOS store, so if someone got their subscription to Office365 elsewhere, then Apple isn't getting a cut.

And I'm not defending Apple. I'm just pointing out what they're going to argue in court.

That 30%, as we know from the Steam war, is standard across the board from brick and mortar to online. I get it for the brick and mortar folks as they have more overhead. However, is it legit for Apple, Steam, etc.? They do have to design phones, software, host it all, pay for staffing, build a new HQ their employees walk into the walls of, etc. Is that worth 30%? I genuinely don't know.

I think in the case of Apple strong-arming people into making their stuff more available within the apps so they can get a cut, yes, that's bullshit. Beyond that, ?
Cakedaddy wrote: Devs won't boycott, because another will step up to fill their spot.
A genuine problem with so many things in life. There's always people willing to eat shit because there might be some corn kernels in it, rather than simply waiting and demanding corn without shit. :D
Cakedaddy wrote: Devs are just trying to increase profits by decreasing commission costs. I'm not saying Apple isn't greedy, etc. But this is also the Dev's greed fighting back.
Yep
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Here's what they'll argue: Sure, Apple strictly controls the distribution channels for their products, but they do this for the customer. They spent lots of money in securing those channels to protect their consumers from malicious products and so on. Thus, customers can download an app knowing it's a quality product and yada yada yada.
This argument is irrelevant. A monopoly is a monopoly.
Leisher wrote: So a consumer can subscribe to Office365 on an iPhone, Android, Windows PC, whatever. They don't have to subscribe via the iTunes store.
This argument is more valid.