Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

You know how Apple how claimed iTunes does NOT turn on backup encryption automatically? It does, and we tested it several times over the past few weeks. We used different phones, different users, different computers, etc. ALL continually turned backup encryption on automatically even when we manually shut it off.

Some might presume this is a bug. However, dig deeper. If you don't know your encryption password, how can you get your stuff? By backing up to iCloud where you're given a ridiculously small amount of space, and typically to complete a backup would need to signup for a subscription and pay a fee.

Additionally, the minute you turn on your new iDevice it already has turned on all cloud stuff. Meaning all of your documents, photos, calendar events, etc. all are being saved to Apple's cloud out of the box. Not only filling up your iCloud, ensuring you won't have space for a backup, but it's technically theft. (Go fuck yourself with user agreement wording.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

2 college kids ripoff Apple for close to $1M.

And while reading the story all I could think about was how consumers are going to get fucked thanks to these two scumbags.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by GORDON »

I'd say "Chinese thieves" would be a better description. Yeah, in college, but they had a manufacturing base in order to pull that off.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Apple, literally the worst at abusing monopolistic positions, says it's too good to be broken up by regulation. Only the other tech companies need that.
The suggestion that tech giants need to be broken up was floated by Sen. Elizabeth Warren in March. The Democratic presidential candidate said tech companies such as Apple, Amazon, Google and Facebook have too much influence over our lives and would like to see them broken up.

In Apple's case, Warren says Apple's App Store gives the company too much of a competitive advantage.

"Apple, you've got to break it apart from their App Store. It's got to be one or the other," Warren said. "Either they run the platform or they play in the store."

Cook, unsurprisingly, doesn't see things the way Warren does.

"I don't think anybody would call us a monopoly," Cook said. "We're geographically in the same location as a lot of tech companies, and that is about the extent of the commonality."
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Has Elizabeth Warren ever taken a peek at banks, insurance companies, colleges, or the federal government? They too have way too much influence over our lives.
GORDON
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by GORDON »

She probably gets paid very well to not look at those things.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Nice to see Google talk about privacy, but actions speak much louder than words, and to date, they are one of the biggest offenders of people's privacy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Nice to see Google talk about privacy, but actions speak much louder than words, and to date, they are one of the biggest offenders of people's privacy.
Honestly, the controls they put forth are pretty strong, imho. I mean, no one will use them, but they exist :)

Google knowing more about me helps me more than it hurts, so far.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

SCOTUS agrees with Catt.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

It's a win for the Free Market, but honestly, a loss for security.

Now what I really want to see is a lawsuit covering tech companies stealing user data (pictures, music, videos, documents, etc.) by default whenever they get a new phone, tablet, or PC.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: It's a win for the Free Market, but honestly, a loss for security.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
The actual quote also includes the line:
"Except in relation to hackers, malware, and viruses because the vast majority of you are too stupid to avoid these things and you'll just fuck it up for everyone else."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
The actual quote also includes the line:
"Except in relation to hackers, malware, and viruses because the vast majority of you are too stupid to avoid these things and you'll just fuck it up for everyone else."
Well, the original quote is certainly more nuanced than "Those who would give up Liberty for Safety deserve neither," which is what I usually here.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Why yes, that is a $1,000 monitor stand.
GORDON
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by GORDON »

I heard he got some boo's at that statement.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

How old is that pin? "Does more, costs less"? That's supposed to be ironic, right?

iTunes is going away and being replaced with three apps.