Apple sucks

TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

House antitrust subcommittee agrees with Catt.
The House Judiciary subcommittee on antitrust’s groundbreaking report on Big Tech said Apple has “monopoly power” over software distribution on iPhones, which allows it to generate large profits from the App Store and extract rents from developers.

The 450-page report from the Democratic majority is the culmination of a 16-month investigation that also examined competitive practices at Amazon, Facebook and Google and included the CEOs of the four giants testifying over videoconference in August.

The report, released Tuesday, recommends that dominant technology platforms, including Apple, be barred from entering “adjacent lines of business” and should not be allowed to give preference to their own services or products. But the report is also complimentary of Apple in some places: It also noted that Apple’s mobile ecosystem has produced significant benefits to consumers and app developers.

If these recommendations eventually become law, it could force big technology companies to change core business practices, including for Apple changing how it distributes its own apps through the App Store or which products or services it decides to develop.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by GORDON »

Apple's going to be putting shit loads more cash into reelection coffers, as of.today.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: House antitrust subcommittee agrees with Catt.
According to AOC none of the politicians in Congress understand technology, so yep.
GORDON wrote: Apple's going to be putting shit loads more cash into reelection coffers, as of.today.
Guaranteed, and then directly into pockets.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by GORDON »

Pockets of the children of the lawmakers
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Good deal for Peanuts in the short term thanks to the cash they're getting, but long term this will hurt them.

Shrinking your audience that was already shrinking is probably not a wise long term investment.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

At least they didn't all commit suicide?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: At least they didn't all commit suicide?
Or... maybe they already did?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

The new App Store Small Business Program, as it’s called, will allow any developer who earns less than $1 million in annual sales per year from all of their apps to qualify for a reduced App Store cut of 15 percent, half of Apple’s standard 30 percent fee, on all paid app revenue and in-app purchases.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/18/215 ... -reduction

So... if you make $1,000,001 you're back to 30%? Why not just charge 15% on everyone's first $1M?
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: So... if you make $1,000,001 you're back to 30%? Why not just charge 15% on everyone's first $1M?
Even when they do something right...
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

I would have guessed $599, only 2x its competitors.
GORDON
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by GORDON »

Well, they are a pretty useful "idiot" flag.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Expanding to my hood. Apple has owned/leased some land about 2-3 miles from my house. Not sure if this is explicitly where they are building this location, but that has been the rumour for the past 2 years.
Troy

Apple sucks

Post by Troy »

Kick ass. Nowadays big tech employees seem to largely be people who manage vendors and contactors that do the grunt work, so the actual job gains should be 2-10x that, like an auto factory.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Shocked that Apple would engage in the same bullshit that everyone else engages in, including Google. :D

Jokes aside, why wouldn't this be the case? The tech industry is pretty much built on "our stuff won't work on your stuff".