Apple sucks

Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

"Holy Grail" of security flaws found on iPhones.

Security patch is out now (14.8).
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:00 pm "Holy Grail" of security flaws found on iPhones.

Security patch is out now (14.8).
Yeah, upgraded my iOS device this morning, though I doubt anyone would even bother to target me, I'm not a journalist
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Just noticed the emoji code got triggered. Sometimes stuff is dumb.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Apple wins in court against Epic.

Ok, Epic won against Apple's third party fee thing, but lost in claiming Apple has a monopoly. However, now Apple gets to drag this out for years, and has vowed they're not going to allow Epic onto their devices until this is out of the courts.

That's some impressively petty shit.
GORDON
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by GORDON »

I've been hearing rumors of Tinder matches not working out beyond the first conversation because women claiming, "You have an android and i like to chat on iChat" or whatever that apple chat is.

"It must be fuckin nice" to have enough options that you can reject someone out of hand because they have an android phone.

Cue: "Why can't I just find a nice guy?"
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Apple sucks

Post by Troy »

Counterpoint: Talking to people and your messages turning green is whack and lame
GORDON
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by GORDON »

I don't know what that means.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

Massive amount of Apple employees stage a walkout.

I'd be pretty pissed about this too.
"Last week, a customer came in and spit on one of our team members," this person said, adding that the customer was then serviced by the store's leadership despite the incident.
They lose me with some of these demands though:

Hazard pay? Go fuck yourself. You work in retail.

Full benefits for part time workers? Uh no. But I do think some partial or limited benefits would be fine.

Protections from abusive customers? Define abusive. Physically? Yes, Apple should provide a safe work environment and prosecute any customer that crosses this line. Verbally? Sorry, but in real life people can be dicks or simply very frustrated. For example: Instead of being a selfish cunt all up in your feels as you think you're the star of some reality show called "Earth", maybe realize that old man isn't being a dick because he's mad at you, but rather because he needs help with a technology that he doesn't want to have, but is required to have. It scares him and makes him feel irrelevant. Be a good human and learn how to be a better helper rather than expecting your customers to bow before you.

What does appointment only have to do with Covid? Nothing. That's just you being lazy. It's massively inconvenient for the customers and is bad business.
Cakedaddy

Apple sucks

Post by Cakedaddy »

Ya. But they are geniuses. So, you know.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Inside Apple, your job classification can mean a lot. The difference between a “level 4” engineer and a “level 5,” for instance, could mean a difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation. And those titles help determine how much Apple employees can make when they leave the company for another job. But there’s a hitch.

In widely used databases that companies refer to for verification of job information, Apple changes the job title for every employee, whether they’re a PhD in computer science or a product manager, to “associate,” the company confirms.

Apple’s approach is bizarre if not unique, experts in employment practices say, but until now has gone largely unnoticed by anybody but a handful of job applicants whose résumés conflict with official databases maintained by job verification services run by companies such as Equifax and LexisNexis.

The title “associate” is generally used to connote more junior roles. Entry-level retail workers, for instance, are often called associates. Law firms refer to recent law school hires in the same way, and in universities, associate professors are ranked below those with the title “professor.”

The practice recently came to light when Cher Scarlett, a former Apple software engineer who raised concerns about alleged discrimination and misconduct at the company, filed a complaint to the Securities and Exchange Commission, alleging that when Apple changed her job title to “associate,” it delayed the hiring process at a prospective employer by nearly a week, during which time the company rescinded the offer. Scarlett said the job verification service hired to vet her résumé was unable to resolve the discrepancy with Apple.

Apple spokesman Josh Rosenstock confirmed that, for years, Apple has changed the job titles of its former employees to “associate.” Rosenstock declined to say why Apple does this or precisely when the practice began.

“We are and have always been deeply committed to creating and maintaining a positive and inclusive workplace. We take all concerns seriously and we thoroughly investigate whenever a concern is raised and, out of respect for the privacy of any individuals involved, we do not discuss specific employee matters,” he said.

Scarlett, a software engineer on Apple’s security team, last year helped found the #AppleToo movement, which encourages employees at the company to speak out about workplace misconduct. In mostly anonymous testimonials, hundreds of employees have shared stories of what the group calls “persistent patterns of racism, sexism, inequity, discrimination, intimidation, suppression, coercion, abuse, unfair punishment and unchecked privilege.” She left the company last year after she said she was intimidated and retaliated against.

On Sept. 1, Scarlett filed a charge with the National Labor Relations Board, alleging Apple’s practices violate federal labor law. The case is being investigated. In October, Scarlett filed a whistleblower complaint with the SEC, accusing Apple of misleading investors when it issued a statement to shareholders asserting that it does not use concealment clauses in separation agreements or settlements with employees. Scarlett says Apple asked her to sign such a clause when she left the company.

Apple has declined to comment on her specific allegations or specific employee matters.

Apple fires employee who raised workplace misconduct allegations at the company

Some former employees, previously unaware of the title changes, criticized Apple for the practice. Janneke Parrish, another #AppleToo founder, who was fired by the company after criticizing it for alleged employment law violations, said that even if Apple changes the titles in the database for all its employees, it can have “devastating consequences” for some former employees where specific titles represent levels of technical expertise. (Parrish has filed an NLRB complaint against Apple; she said she was told she was fired for deleting apps and files from a company phone during a company investigation, but she thinks it’s because of her activism.)

“Doing this severely limits the ability for ex-Apple employees to verify past employment, especially if they left on bad terms. It essentially forces us to stay in Apple’s good graces for those references as verification,” she said.

Apple offers a phone number employers can call to verify titles of former Apple employees. A voice recording on that line directs callers to the web site for InVerify, an employment verification service provider owned by credit agency Equifax. When The Washington Post called InVerify’s customer support number, a customer service representative said Apple is the only company he knew of that changes job titles of employees when they leave. Apple also changes titles for employees who have taken a leave of absence, the person said.

The representative said he gets a few calls a month from people trying to get the accurate job titles of former Apple employees. If the caller can provide the employee’s full Social Security number, InVerify is able to look up the person’s old payroll information and verify the job title that way.

Equifax did not respond to a request for comment.

But even people who verify job titles for a living can be stumped by the byzantine system for verifying accurate job titles for former Apple employees. Emails between Scarlett and Sterling, an employment verification firm hired by her would-be employer, show that employees at Sterling were confused when her title came back as “associate” when they checked Equifax’s database, called the Work Number, in late January.

Unable to verify Scarlett’s title, a recruiter from the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, which had offered her a job, emailed her asking if she could provide any references at Apple who might be able to independently verify her title. “I hope you are having a great day! Could you help me with the job title discrepancy with Apple?” the recruiter wrote in a message reviewed by The Post. “Could you provide me with a couple of references from Apple? I’ll need to submit references from Apple confirming the job title.” Scarlett provided the name of a human resources employee she had dealt with in the past.

The education of Frances Haugen: How the whistleblower learned to use data as a weapon from years in tech

“Irrespective of the reasons why they are doing it, this is a very bad and possibly unlawful practice,” said Laurie Burgess, an employment law attorney who represents Parrish in her labor board case against Apple. “Seems to me that this action interferes with employees’ reasonable future economic interests.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

I get it. I mean, they're barely scraping by as a company. Of course they need to do anything they can to keep employees. They can't afford to pay more! :roll:
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Anyone here use iPhones and plan to have a used one available in the next couple of months? Looking to buy a used one.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

How old?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:38 pmHow old?
I dunno. I don't know much about iPhones. I'm basically looking for something to leave in my car to use Apple CarPlay, and nothing more. Something that still gets updates is ideal.
Cakedaddy

Apple sucks

Post by Cakedaddy »

I have to wonder how the used iphone market is doing given the strong incentives to turn in. We turned in my wife's for the $800 that ATT was offering. Any year, any condition.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:50 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:38 pmHow old?
I dunno. I don't know much about iPhones. I'm basically looking for something to leave in my car to use Apple CarPlay, and nothing more. Something that still gets updates is ideal.
I'll see what I have.
Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:37 pm I have to wonder how the used iphone market is doing given the strong incentives to turn in. We turned in my wife's for the $800 that ATT was offering. Any year, any condition.
I still have two iPhones in great condition. iPhones. Not iPhone 11 or 13 or 6. The originals. I've heard they might be worth something.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:37 pm I have to wonder how the used iphone market is doing given the strong incentives to turn in. We turned in my wife's for the $800 that ATT was offering. Any year, any condition.
Yeah, I turned in Pixel 2s + 3s for our new 6s for $600+ of credit.
Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:57 pm I'll see what I have.
Thanks!
Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:57 pm I still have two iPhones in great condition
Whoa.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:20 am Roblox takes Apple's side in Epic lawsuit.
Which just means that Epic is even more right.
Leisher
Site Admin

Apple sucks

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:24 am
Leisher wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:20 am Roblox takes Apple's side in Epic lawsuit.
Which just means that Epic is even more right.
Honestly, it's kind of funny watching all of these unethical companies fight one another over ethics.

Apple employees threaten to quit over Cook's RTO plan.