General Cell Phone Discussion

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Cellular Crap - Ting cell service

Post by GORDON »

If my wife didn't use so much data I'd jump on that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:If my wife didn't use so much data I'd jump on that.
You won't have sex with your wife because of her data usage?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:I bought the Pixel.
Arrived today. I love it. There's nothing super wonderful OMG about it (I mean, the camera is pretty great, but still), but damn it's fast. 4GB of RAM. I can have a billion apps open at once and it just shuttles between them without having to reload them.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Still love my Pixel.

On a side note: The free VR headset is OTW via the slowest shipping ever, and I bought a Google Home.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I bought a Costco home. It was actually three homes wrapped together. You save money that way you see.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I won an Amazon Echo last night at company holiday party raffle. So now I'll have an Echo and a Home and can have them fight each other.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cellular Crap - Ting cell service

Post by TheCatt »

Google Fi - Moto X now onboard

Gordon, if you don't want to shell out for a premium phone, you can get this to upgrade from your 5X.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Anyone here use Tmobile? Thinking of switching them from Google Fi to get the free/discounted phones, unlimited data, etc. Our kids are starting to use enough that Fi doesn't really make sense. Looks like it'll also save $10/month on YoutubeTV
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I was on the 1GB Fi plan (which was never really a "plan," as there were no penalties for going over, they just charged you more at the same rate). It used to be fairly simple to keep my phone data under 1 GB per month. But for the last year I managed to keep it under 1, maybe once. So my $35 phone plan isn't, any more.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:25 pm I was on the 1GB Fi plan (which was never really a "plan," as there were no penalties for going over, they just charged you more at the same rate). It used to be fairly simple to keep my phone data under 1 GB per month. But for the last year I managed to keep it under 1, maybe once. So my $35 phone plan isn't, any more.
We used to average 2-3GB/month, for 3 people. So it was pretty cheap. But with school back, and the kids activities back, etc, etc, we're at like 6-8GB/month, so we may as well go unlimited.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:29 pm Anyone here use Tmobile? Thinking of switching them from Google Fi to get the free/discounted phones, unlimited data, etc. Our kids are starting to use enough that Fi doesn't really make sense. Looks like it'll also save $10/month on YoutubeTV
Looks like TMobile will give us a bunch of credits, if we stick around for 2 years. $25/month if we trade-in a Pixel 2. Looks like we can get 4 Pixel 6s (1 Pro, 3 regular), 4 lines, and unlimited service (magenta max) for like $80/month or less after credits. And it gives us $10/month off youtube tv!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

T-Mobile messed up something on my order, so I got mad... and canceled. But, turns out if you want a decent hotspot you have to go with the major providers, so I re-placed my order. Bah.

Also, my math above was way off, as I didn't realize the discounts didn't stack. So $170/month + $10/month off on YTTV. Oh, and free Paramount+ yyyaaaayyy

With the massive phone discounts, it works out better than Mint Mobile or Visible, and doesn't have the cap on hot spots that those have.

Also comes with GoGo inflight, which is decent for me if work travel starts back up, and the mid-tier Netflix plan.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm skeptical.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:40 amI'm skeptical.
UPS just sent me an email that my package from T-Mobile will arrive tomorrow.

T-Mobile still says it will ship + arrive today. :\
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Moved to TMobile yesterday, the # port was very fast (20 minutes), and things seemed fine last night.

Today, data doesn't work at all, call them and my line is "suspended" which makes no sense. yyyyaaaayyyy
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:47 am Moved to TMobile yesterday, the # port was very fast (20 minutes), and things seemed fine last night.

Today, data doesn't work at all, call them and my line is "suspended" which makes no sense. yyyyaaaayyyy
20 minute phone call to fix.

This morning it worked, then I ordered a new phone for my line, and then the next time I used my existing phone, it didn't work. So maybe something got messed up in the ordering process.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

They bolloxed up our number transfer, Daughter + Wife's #s took more than a day, but got resolved over night after being escalated.

They gave us $40 to make up for it, which seems fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:33 pm We used to average 2-3GB/month, for 3 people. So it was pretty cheap. But with school back, and the kids activities back, etc, etc, we're at like 6-8GB/month, so we may as well go unlimited.
We typically use about 20-30GB / month these days. I hotspot on occasion, one kid hotspots on her way to activities to do her homework, etc. It worked just fine in France and England. The YTTV $10/month thing expired, but we get $$ off Netflix and free Apple TV+ now. We also got a free year of AAA. Overall the experience has been very good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I try to keep my data under 1GB/month, and it used to be easier, but these days I'm lucky to keep it under 2GB. Fi is unlimited for $60, but every GB under that is $10 per. If I keep it under 1GB, I only pay $10.

It kind of bugs me that I pay for 2 separate internets.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”