Smart Phones

Post by GORDON »

Digging the coke nail
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by Leisher »

Just ordered three MS Surface Duos for testing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by GORDON »

ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Pixel 4 the other day, upgrading from my Pixel 2. Google is only offering me $47 on my trade-in. Pixel 3 not for sale. Decided I didn't want to spend $900 on a new phone. I'll go a little longer with my old, paid-off phone.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: ALMOST pulled the trigger on a Pixel 4 the other day, upgrading from my Pixel 2. Google is only offering me $47 on my trade-in. Pixel 3 not for sale. Decided I didn't want to spend $900 on a new phone. I'll go a little longer with my old, paid-off phone.
4a just came out today and has been getting solid reviews. I definitely wouldn't spend $900 on any phone. I got the 4XL for $450 when it came out.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by GORDON »

Google was selling the 4XL on their "Google Fi" shopping site for $800+. Seemed super pricey.

Yeah, just looked again. $900.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Google was selling the 4XL on their "Google Fi" shopping site for $800+. Seemed super pricey.

Yeah, just looked again. $900.
4a ftw. Or, wait until Black Friday for the 5.
GORDON
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by GORDON »

Black Friday is a good plan.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by TheCatt »

I bought a Samsung S21+ cuz I was bored of my Pixel 4XL. It was sluggish. So far the 21+ is definitely faster. But it seems to be a bit of a battery suck. The good news is that is supports 25W charging, so it can charge quickly. The bad news is I really got used to my wireless charger, but it only does 10W.
GORDON
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by GORDON »

Remember when cell phones were causing brain tumors?

Is that not a thing any more?
Cakedaddy

Smart Phones

Post by Cakedaddy »

At AT&T right now, you can trade in (almost) any samsung phone (Galaxy, Notes, and one other) in any condition and get $800 towards the new S22 ultra (and other phones). I'm trading in my old Note 8 with a cracked screen. Catch: It's spread out over 3 years. Which is a LOONNG time in the cellphone world. But I did the math, even if I only used the new phone for 2 years, then paid off the balance owed in full to upgrade later, I'm still getting over $500 in discounts. For an old, busted Note 8.

This allowed me to trade in my current Note 10+ for $400 towards the new Tab S8 Ultra. (they were paying $500 for the Note 10, not plus? Kind of BS) With the free keyboard and $50 credit towards accessories (picked a wireless charger and 128GB EVO SD card). With the education discount (just had to select it), I'm out the door at $756. (retail $1691.57)

Surprised at the heavy incentives on launch day.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by TheCatt »

Not bad at all. When I got my Pixel 6 Pro, ($899 retail?) they gave me $800 back for a Pixel 4a (worth about $150 on eBay). But it's a 2 yr requirement.

Let us know how that tablet works out, it's gigantic. I guess with the keyboard it's basically a fancy/thin laptop?
Cakedaddy

Smart Phones

Post by Cakedaddy »

It's replacing my Surface Pro 3. And ya, an ultrawide (or close to it) ratio with a keyboard. Using it for email, spreadsheets, streaming, android games.

The Surface Pro replaced my earlier tablet. Was a really good device, but more often than not, it was over kill, or under powered. Overkill for simple email, spreadsheets, streaming. Under powered and too small for games. I have a full size laptop that I would game on, and the tiny screen and lack of GPU limited what the Surface could do. It was a heavy tablet as well, when using it as a tablet. So, it never really fit anywhere. It wasn't a good tablet or laptop. But it was good if you wanted both but didn't want to carry both.

I actually ordered an S7+ about two weeks ago. Got it and was not digging the size. Again, untrawide aspect ratio. It's 12 inch screen compared to my wife's Ipad 12 inch, the tablet looked really small. It was a bit wider, but much squatier. Was very meh about it. Then I discovered I was only days away from the new 14 inch Ultra but figured it would be way more than I wanted to spend. And at full retail, it is. But with all these trade in deals available, everything is where I want it to be. Getting all that credit for my old busted phone is awesome.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:01 pm Then I discovered I was only days away from the new 14 inch Ultra but figured it would be way more than I wanted to spend. And at full retail, it is. But with all these trade in deals available, everything is where I want it to be. Getting all that credit for my old busted phone is awesome.
Alright, you tempted me. Also the reviews seem to be very solid. I have an old 2nd Gen iPad Pro that never gets used, so that got the price down to $600+taxes.
Cakedaddy

Smart Phones

Post by Cakedaddy »

Mine shows up on Friday after 3 or 4 delays. Keyboard is still delayed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:20 pm Mine shows up on Friday after 3 or 4 delays. Keyboard is still delayed.
Mine will be late April since I ordered so late, let me know how you like it.
Cakedaddy

Smart Phones

Post by Cakedaddy »

Got the tablet a couple of weeks ago, and the keyboard a few days ago. Then another keyboard. They sent me two for some reason.

The tablet is nice. My wife makes fun of how short and wide it is. It's more of an ultrawide aspect than a 1920 ratio. I like my ultrawide monitors, and I like the untrawide tablet. Have already been multi tasking with two apps side by side. Spreadsheet and browser for data entry. Worked really well. It's going to allow far more work to be done on it than the old surface, and definitely the old 10" tablet. I've linked it to my laptop so get the tablet screen on my laptop. This lets me do Android stuff on my laptop. Playing Archero with a mouse is pretty cool. There's a slight bit of lag though, but not enough to affect game play. The tablet itself is really nice. I like how thin it is, how sharp all the corners are, etc. HUGE screen, hardly any bezel. The small bezel is taking some getting used to. I have to change how I'm holding it because I end up touching the screen in two spots (my 'holding' hand sometimes makes contact with the screen, then my other hand/finger will try to do something). So I end up zooming in/out instead of moving something. Because it's so big, it's a handful. But I'll take big and cumbersome over small and annoying. I just have to adjust how I use it. And because it's so new, shiny, big, and pretty, I'm constantly afraid I'm going to drop it.

The keyboard really gives it a laptop feel. Even the desktop changes to a very Windows 10 look/layout when attached. Uses very much like a laptop with the mouse, etc. The keyboard ads quite a bit of weight to it as well. Not too much though. It weighs about as much as any other super slim laptop would. It's just much heavier than just the tablet. And because you have 'tablet' on your mind when holding it, it feels extra heavy. But connected to the keyboard, it's very sturdy and comfortable to use.

This is a HUGE upgrade from my old 10" tablet. The old tablet was little more than a game playing, book reading, movie watching, web browsing tablet. I could never really do any work on it. Was too small and I never got a keyboard for it. The Surface was ok, but very small screen. So again, mostly just games, movie, browsing type stuff. Not a work horse, but a better gaming platform than the old tablet and it had a keyboard. But way more bulky.
The new tablet is big, yet compact, wide, light, and actual work can be done on it.

It will still get light use as I have other tools that will work better for everything. But when I'm traveling, the tablet will be a really nice upgrade from what I use to carry.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:27 pm
Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:20 pm Mine shows up on Friday after 3 or 4 delays. Keyboard is still delayed.
Mine will be late April since I ordered so late, let me know how you like it.
My order has shifted from late April to April 7th, back to April 19th, and then they charged my credit card overnight which implies it's shipping soon.
GORDON
Site Admin

Smart Phones

Post by GORDON »

Android 14 seems to have greatly improved the battery life of my Pixel 6a.

Or I could be trippin. But seems like it will was draining the battery in 12 hours doing almost nothing, now it's lasting a couple days.