Televisions

Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Point was, the TV Leisher has linked is 3D. Could he do better with a non-3D TV?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh I didn't even realize the one he linked was 3d.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

That's why I was wondering if it was just default. High end TVs force it on you or something. Otherwise, those that know 3D could let him know that 3D isn't worth it, or whatever.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nah, not standard or anything. It's optional and it's gimmicky. I opted out.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

As I have said before, I would love to be able to get a barebones, 70" monitor with a high speed HDMI port, instead of all the smart tv stuff that I already have duplicated 3 times over. I could save a couple hundred, then, possibly, if they were producing them at scale.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

There are also dumb TVs, but any given model doesn't always have the dumb option. You'd probably need to do more than a little digging.

EDIT: Hmm. Or maybe not.

Edited By Malcolm on 1385086512
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yes, Walmart. But it's a BF deal

That's a different TV. That's the E model, and not as well reviewed as the M series. (Not that it's bad.)

Does 3D work yet?

Yes.

However, there are two different types of 3D: Active and Passive.

Active - You have to wear powered glasses that cost $100 or so per pair, but the picture is "better".

Passive - Glasses cost $5 a pair or just bring the ones from the movie theater home with you because this is the 3D they use.

One important note about 3D is that you can simply turn it off. Think about it, all those 3D TVs on display at the stores don't require you to put on glasses to look at them, right?

Skip 3d, not going to take off.

I always agreed with this, but always added the stipulation that if they could make it cheaper and easier to access, it would be more successful. Nobody wants to have a Super Bowl party and have to tell their 50 guests to all put on the $100 per pair 3D glasses.

Ever see the Nintendo 3DS? Granted it's a handheld game system, but the 3D technology on that is pretty cool and doesn't require glasses. So, I know at some point, the technology will bring it to our homes. Keep in mind that holograms are eventually going to arrive, so 3D is here to stay. "Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope."

Otherwise, those that know 3D could let him know that 3D isn't worth it, or whatever.

According to all the reviews, the newest 3D technology is worth it. Again, you can turn it off and I'm not seeing pricing differences between 3D and non-3D TVs. Plus, if it truly is the same technology as what's used at theaters, I already know what it's about.

This is a lot of talk about 3d, which is a feature I don't even care about. This isn't the selling point for me. The selling point is the size, picture, and price.

(I do want to note that I have $1840 in Best Buy reward certificates...)

There are also dumb TVs, but any given model doesn't always have the dumb option.

At this point, I don't get the "dumb" model. I mean, I do if you're saving money because you can just buy the "smart TV box" slap it onto your dumb TV, and voila, you have a smart TV. However, I'm not seeing a huge price difference, and you're losing some of the other new advances in picture technology.

All that stuff aside, I'm just looking to get the best TV I can at a reasonable price. I want a smart LED TV at 70" and around $2k. This Vizio I just stumbled upon, and so far I'm finding overwhelmingly positive reviews. In fact, here's what I'm seeing so far:

Cons:
-Glossy screen material so you have to be cautious about glare.
-Some peeps seem to have issues with the remote being unresponsive. Others say it works fine. Even more say, "Just get a universal because the TV is worth it even if the remote sucks."
-Vizio has made some shitty TVs in the past, and gotten a mildly bad rep because of it.
-I've heard through second hand accounts that Vizio's get returned a lot due to problems. This is prior models though, and makes sense considering the point above.

Pros:
-Price
-Passive 3D doesn't require $100 glasses and 8 pairs come in the box.
-Smart features are apparently pretty solid and fast.
-Picture, by all accounts, is on par with Sony's 4X picture. (This is a REALLY strong statement made by the top reviewer on Amazon's site.)
-This is Vizio's attempt at making itself a player in the TV market.
-It uses backlighting. Or maybe not...Vizio says it's backlighting with smart dimming, but cNet's review calls it edgelighting. I've seen other reviews call it one or the other, so no fucking clue.
-Very well reviewed. I honestly can't find a bad review. Of the 30 user reviews on Best Buy, the worst reviews are the 3 4 star reviews, and all 30 said they'd tell a friend to buy it. cNet gave it a 4 star "excellent" rating and that's pretty much par for all the other "tech" reviews I've seen on the M series.

What's irritating is that no matter what TV you settle on, you're going to find potential flaws. And if you rely on the "experts" you get different opinions. I did a google search for "what is the best smart tv on the market", and obviously saw different answers.

I honestly don't know if I should go for this TV or try to grab a one with a bigger name brand like Samsung.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The hotel chain in which I;ve recently spent a lot of nights had all LG TV's. When you turn the TV on, you get 5 seconds of splash screen with the LG logo and it says, "Life's Good." I think that's a nice sentiment and it makes me happy and I want an LG TV because of it.

But I can't resist a Vizio 70" for $1k.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I wonder if there is a way to use walmarts price matching policy to order that TV and not stand in line to get that price.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

FYI: i got the 65". It's awesome.

No glare off the screen in our house. Beautiful picture. 3D is exactly like the theater. Remote works fine. Etc.

Very happy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've already got 2 60" TVs upstairs. I feel like that if I don't go bigger in the cave, I will regret it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It would depend on how fRa way you are from the screen. At some point you would get pixelization.

At leats until 4k tvs
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ok, here's tonight's Walmart adventure.

Decided it was worth an hour of time and effort to save $500 on a 70"er, so Dad and my sister came with me to Walmart at 5:15pm. 12 minutes from Walmart.

About half way there, my sister was on my smartphone and found the ad that said the 70" sale starts in the second phase, at 8pm. I thought that was a good idea, staggering times.

We decided since we were almost there, let's go see how big the crowds were at 5:30pm.

Parking lot was packed. Bank next to Walmart was packed. People were starting to park in the grassy field on either side. And coming from the city was about a mile of cars trying to turn left into Walmart's parking lot.

Obviously we didn't stay beyond that... and I went by myself at 7:30 for the 8pm sale.

Found the appropriate place... sales associates everywhere.

Me: "I am here for the 8pm 70" TV sale"

Associate: Oh, those are already gone. They were gone at 6.

Me: But the sale doesn't start until 8, and now it is 7:45.

Associate: Right.

Me: So the sale hasn't started yet, but they sold out at 6?

Associate: No, we handed out wristbands and they all went immediately.

Me: So the sale that started at 8 was sold out by 6?

Associate: No, we handed out wristbands.

Me: For the 8 oclock sale. And they were all gone by 6.

Associate: Yes.

Me: .......... fine, I see you guarantee the price for items within an hour of the sale starting, how do I do that?

Associate: It doesn't apply for the 70" TV.

I just left at that point.

++++++++++

Walmart lost a lot of goodwill with me tonight. No more impulse shopping there for a while.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Why did you think it would be that easy to score one of those?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Cakedaddy wrote:Why did you think it would be that easy to score one of those?
I didn't. I had every expectation of walking out empty handed, I just decided the savings was worth at least showing up.

But I never expected them to sell out of things 2 hours before the sale even started. I expected at least to see a line of people waiting for 8pm.

Amazon will get my money, I think.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I measured the cave, my eyeballs will be exactly 8'6" from the TV screen when I am in my spot on the couch.

I put a kitchen chair 8'6" eyeballs-to-60" TV in the family room, and tested it out (Current spot is like 13' from the TV).

I think I can live with a 60" TV in the cave. For now. In a couple years I can always sell this one for a couple hundred and upgrade, if I so desire.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

60" should be pretty ideal.

And, the fact that they gave away bracelets at 6pm doesnt mean getting there at 6pm was sufficient. Surely people had been lining up hours before that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I found some very fine print on the weekly flier mentioning the wrist bands. So congrats to Walmart, they suckered me into the store with the 40 point font stating the sale started at 8, and the 4 point font stating they will actually be gone much, much earlier.

I'll be doing my impulse shopping elsewhere until the irritation with that fades.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

VIZIO E701i-A3 70-inch 1080p 120Hz Razor LED Smart HDTV - $999 FS Live on Amazon
VIZIO E701i-A3 70-inch 1080p 120Hz Razor LED Smart HDTV - $999

Just happened on Amazon
Paul

Post by Paul »

Here's the VIZIO E701i-A3 70-inch 1080p 120Hz Razor LED Smart HDTV that TheCatt mentioned (with my affiliate code stuck in).
It's even on Prime, so that's free two day shipping (assuming you have Amazon Prime).

List Price: $1,699.99
Price: $1,498.00
Deal Price: $999.00
VIZIO Internet Apps Instantly enjoy online movies, TV shows, music, apps and more
Razor LED for richer colors and more vivid details in an ultra thin design
TV without stand (Width x Height x Depth): 62.56'' x 36.49'' x 2.35'' , TV with stand (Width x Height x Depth): 62.56'' x 38.41'' x 12.56''
Smart remote with QWERTY keyboard
Built-in Wi-Fi for easy internet access

Edited By Paul on 1385764711
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

As of right this second I don't see any sale prices on it.