Televisions

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, as a stand-alone they are great. I wish it were possible to get just a 70" dumb monitor for a couple hundred less, though.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Eh, already getting it for fairly cheap. I have discovered Costco. Given what I spend on groceries and fuel, it's worth it. Bonus is all the other random crap they have in there for cheap. Liquor store has some fucking tremendous deals on the big five (whiskey, vodka, rum, tequila, gin).
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm intrigued by the Smart TV concept mostly as a way to have Android embedded into the TV. At this point, it doesn't seem like it's all there, but I'd probably go for that same TV right now.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Malcolm wrote:Getting a new TV in the near future. Anyone learned which technology sucks the least yet?
I got an LCD and my ex-girlfriend got a plasma.

Plasmas are brighter. My living room is pretty dark so it doesn't matter, but hers has a lot of light coming in so I think getting plasma was a good idea.

If I looked at the images side by side I'd pick plasma.
But I'd rather have my TV last twice as long without any maintenance.

If I bought another I'd go with LCD again.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Way more LCDs than plasmas where I'm buying. Avoiding the 3D TVs like the goddamn plague, though.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Going Visio 70" LED. Hoping to pick it up Sunday.

Edited By Malcolm on 1380774060
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

I don't think 70" is big enough. Go bigger.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The 75" and 80" TVs are nearly twice as much. I just barely talked myself into the cost of the one I decided on.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Looks fucking beautiful.

EDIT: Watched Houston get man-raped/handled by Frisco. Again, fucking gorgeous TV. Just looking through the helmet, I get enough detail to tell you if the dude behind it is sleep-deprived, hung over, tweeking, bloodshot, or tripping.

Edited By Malcolm on 1381118499
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I am currently looking at this TV.

Thoughts?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:I am currently looking at this TV.

Thoughts?
I got the e-series from them (same size). It's not 3D, but I've been satisfied thus far.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I thought I saw that 70" for sale somewhere for $1k recently? Mayb enot 3d
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:I thought I saw that 70" for sale somewhere for $1k recently? Mayb enot 3d

Walmart.com

:D

(No, but seriously it was listed for $1500 during their problems.)

Edited By Leisher on 1385071570
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ah crap. It is time to equip the man cave, and that is what I wanted to spend on a TV....
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm loathe to do Black Friday, but that is a pretty friggin sweet deal, imho.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just spoke to my brother in law, who is a warehouse manager at a local store.

He said that each location usually gets 0-3 units, except for the high volume stores.

NOW..... I read that Walmart was doing a broad price matching scheme.... like... buy it a week ahead of time, and they match any advertised offer valid on BF and give you the difference in a gift card. I have not yet verified that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Sp what can we do with this, because I aint waiting in line thanksgiving to fight over 3 TVs:

http://news.walmart.com/news-ar....k-early

BENTONVILLE, Ark. – Nov. 19, 2013 – Holiday shoppers don’t have to wait until Black Friday to start shopping for deals at Walmart. At 8 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 22, Walmart will kick off a pre-Black Friday savings event in stores and online, lowering the prices on popular toys and electronics, to match select Black Friday offers from Target, Toys R’ Us and Best Buy one week early.

Beginning today, the retailer also extends its Christmas Ad Match* to Walmart.com customers. Customers who purchase an item on Walmart.com, and find a lower price in a local brick and mortar competitor, can email christmasadmatch@walmart.com and receive the difference on a gift card. The same policy is in place for customers at Walmart stores for items purchased Nov. 1 through Dec. 24, excluding Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Does 3D work yet? I've never done anything with it, but I've never heard anything good about it either. Or is it pretty much default on TVs now?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Skip 3d, not going to take off.