Televisions

Leisher
Site Admin

TVs

Post by Leisher »

Very nice and completely agree about spending so much on a TV.

Let me drop $3K on something that'll cost $400 in 2-3 years? No thanks.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

TVs

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Very nice and completely agree about spending so much on a TV.

Let me drop $3K on something that'll cost $400 in 2-3 years? No thanks.
The worst part is a $300 tablet or $600 phone has a dramatically better screen than the expensive TVs cuz they're so large.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

TVs

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Samsung QLED Q80R.
The TV has a SteamLink app, but I haven't been able to get it to see my laptop for some reason.
TheCatt
Site Admin

TVs

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Samsung QLED Q80R.
The TV has a SteamLink app, but I haven't been able to get it to see my laptop for some reason.
Forgot I had two networks in my house...

NOW I wish I had a Steam Controller. Hmmm...
TheCatt
Site Admin

TVs

Post by TheCatt »

The good ole Xbox 360 controller still works.
TheCatt
Site Admin

TVs HDTV

Post by TheCatt »

75" HDTV seems great/huge until you are a) stuck with 720p or lower content or b) are watching 21:9 aspect ratio movies. Then you still need a bigger screen.
Leisher
Site Admin

TVs

Post by Leisher »

If anyone wants to do some early Christmas shopping for me, I would love this.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

TVs

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:39 pm If anyone wants to do some early Christmas shopping for me, I would love this.
BuT ThErE'S nO 8k CoNtEnT
Leisher
Site Admin

TVs

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by TheCatt »

summary: $5,000 for screen + ultra-short throw projector
Projector: https://www.formovie.com/pages/theater# $3,000 (down from $3,500)
Screen: Elite Screens Aeon CLR Series, 123-inch 16:9, Edge Free Ambient Light Rejecting Fixed Frame Projector Screen, Ceiling Light Rejecting Projection Material for Ultra-Short Throw Projectors, AR123H-CLR - $2,000

Looks pretty great.
GORDON
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by GORDON »

I had a feeling we were approaching a size limit for how big the TV could be and still fit in the back door.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:57 pm I had a feeling we were approaching a size limit for how big the TV could be and still fit in the back door.
Doors are usually about 80" tall, +/-... so a 160" TV (diagonal) could fit. Granted, that TV would be heavy as fuck (~500lbs) given current glass/TV equipment.
Leisher
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by Leisher »

Video shows that you can order a 156" TV, but it was over half a million.
Leisher
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by Leisher »

I did not know this device existed, but I'm getting one to give it a shot and see what happens. $15.

Cakedaddy

Televisions

Post by Cakedaddy »

I don't do any of that stuff on our TVs. We have Chromecast/Roku/Cube devices everywhere. We have never liked using the built in apps on the TVs. They are slow and stupid and many apps are missing.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by TheCatt »

Our TV is hard-wired.
Leisher
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:34 am Our TV is hard-wired.
I have some that are and some that aren't. However, did you watch the video? The device is for hard wired TVs.
Cakedaddy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:20 am I don't do any of that stuff on our TVs. We have Chromecast/Roku/Cube devices everywhere. We have never liked using the built in apps on the TVs. They are slow and stupid and many apps are missing.
I used to do this too, but Smart TV technology is much better than it used to be. I don't have a single newer smart TV that is missing an app. It helps that many TV manufacturers simply use Roku, Apple, or Google as their OS.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:27 pm The device is for hard wired TVs.
I did not, due to the wifi symbol in the preview pane.
Leisher wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:27 pm . I don't have a single newer smart TV that is missing an app. It helps that many TV manufacturers simply use Roku, Apple, or Google as their OS.
The bigger problem is that 5 years later, they are still on the same hardware.
GORDON
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by GORDON »

I had a sony BD player that had apps in the firmware. I actually found a work-around that I was able to load new apps on it like Plex. It wasn't the most elegant thing, but I could get to plex with a few more button clicks on that particular BD player.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Televisions

Post by Leisher »

Smart TV scams.

Nobody here would fall for such a thing, but warn your elderly family and neighbors.