Monitors

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Now that my PC ranks in the top 3% in the world according to 3D Benchmark, I need a monitor to match.

This looks awesome, but I'm a bit worried about going to a screen that big. I was thinking more in the 34" range. Anyone know of any kick ass affordable monitors?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I wonder if we could make our clan name

[3%]
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Personally, I'd go with 3 monitors so I could do surround.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I enjoy my 27" monitor

Cake has a good point.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote:Personally, I'd go with 3 monitors so I could do surround.
That's interesting.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote:Personally, I'd go with 3 monitors so I could do surround.
That's interesting.
With the same surface area, I'd take a 3-headed display versus 2. Doubly so if I had the desk for it.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by Leisher »

Once the GeForce 1080 Ti hits I'm going to be building another rig.

This time I'm certain I'm upgrading my monitors as well. I current have two 24" Dell ultrasharp flat screen.

I'm looking at these options:
Dell 34" curved ultrasharp
Acer Predator XB271HU
Acer Predator X34
Acer Predator Z35

Anyone using one of these?

The Dell is apparently a solid monitor and is the cheapest.
The Predator XB27 was the "best gaming monitor" ranked by PC Gamer as of last month.
The Predator Z35 took that title this month.
The Predator X34 is supposed to be the best if you don't care about budget. (Although, it's only $50 more than the Z35...)

I'm worried about IPS and the backlight bleed through. Anybody have an IPS monitor?

I'm also a bit concerned about OLED being on the way, but honestly, if you're always waiting for the next new tech before buying, you'll always be waiting. Plus, I'm not buying it, so...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I'm worried about IPS and the backlight bleed through. Anybody have an IPS monitor?
Does anyone use anything else? IPS has been the dominant style of flat screen for about 10 years now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by Leisher »

TN and VA are still very much in use. Check out this article listing the best monitors today.

Most are IPS, but there's a good number of the others. Since this is a "best of" list, the number of the other technologies is even higher.

No idea what my current ones are, but they're several years old.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by TheCatt »

All of those TN ones are "budget" or "entry-level," no thanks. TN is garbage. VA - Unfamiliar with.
Leisher
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by Leisher »

I wish I could really see how much better the Predator X34 is over the Dell.

Is there a "Ask an expert" for gaming rig builders? Time to hit the Googles.

I want to ask, "Getting an NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti. Should I buy a PX34 or the Dell?"
Leisher
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by Leisher »

I've asked Tom's Hardware and reddit, neither has given me a satisfactory answer.

I have no idea which monitor to get.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by TheCatt »

Any of those will be fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by Leisher »

Dammit Catt! I want someone to tell me exactly which one to buy so when it fails to give me 4K deliciousness I can blame them!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by TheCatt »

At any rate, ALL of my monitors are IPS. I have 5 at home, and 2 at work. And Yeah, there's a tiny bit of backlight bleeding that varies by monitor, but I seriously wouldn't have even thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it up above.

I think you'll be happy with any of them, and refuse to be more specific in order to avoid blame.
Stranger

Monitors

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Dammit Catt! I want someone to tell me exactly which one to buy so when it fails to give me 4K deliciousness I can blame them!
Actually, none of those monitors are truly a 4k monitor. A standard 4k will have a resolution of 3840x2160 or 8.3 megapixel, hence 4 times the resolution of a typical 1920x1080 or 2.1 megapixel.

All of those except one is a 21:9 aspect ratio so they are ultra wide and one is the standard 16:9. I think those would be considered more of a 2k monitor with about 5 megapixels.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Monitors

Post by Stranger »

But this is just nitpicking at this point. all of those monitors would be nice as hell, its just a preference. DO you like the ultra wide screens? I've never played on one so I wouldn't know personally, and also what would the game be like if it doesn't support 21:9 aspect ration? does the sides get cut off? do you have to downgrade to 16:9 ratio?

a quick search and I saw this LG for $500, I know price doesn't mean anything but its a true 4k just as a reference.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... onitors-20
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by Leisher »

I think the FreeSync makes that one undesirable? I believe I want "G-Sync" because of my NVidia card.

Interesting dig on the others. I got them based on "Best Monitor" lists, and I was certain they were 4K. I'll have to Google some more.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger's correct, none of those are 4k. Do you actually need 4k?
Leisher
Site Admin

Monitors

Post by Leisher »

The 1080 Ti puts me into the world of 4K.

Do I need 4K? No. Very, very few games are taking advantage of 4K right now.