Sure the PS3 will cost $600... but...

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't have any .264 files at the moment, but it is playing a high-def .mkv file right now, transcoding on my old-ass server, and I am surprised to say it looks and sounds perfect. I do wonder, though, about video/sound displacement farther into the movie.

The FAQ's for this software says it can handle .264 files.

So I guess the answer to your question is that even if the PS3 can't play it, software on the server can convert it on the fly? Maybe the same for your XBox?

I'm almost positive I read you need a relatively new server to transcode 1080P successfully, but it looks like I am doing it on a 1.2ghz single core cpu (with gigabit lan).
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

WSGrundy wrote:
Appears I can set up a Netflix account right in the interface
You will still need to get a disc from Netflix for streaming.
I see.

I don't have a Netflix account.... what does it have that my Time Warner DVR, and On Demand services cannot provide? I realize my options for older titles are limited, but I don't demand a lot of those. So why should I buy Netflix? Serious question. Sell me.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I bought a PS3 today and though I haven't played a single game on it yet, I have watched Star Trek BD, and then hooked it up to a media server. Sweet.

Bought the new Riddick game, though.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

GORDON wrote:
WSGrundy wrote:
Appears I can set up a Netflix account right in the interface
You will still need to get a disc from Netflix for streaming.
I see.

I don't have a Netflix account.... what does it have that my Time Warner DVR, and On Demand services cannot provide? I realize my options for older titles are limited, but I don't demand a lot of those. So why should I buy Netflix? Serious question. Sell me.
If your cable company on demand is good enough then you probably don't need it but if your on demand sucks for $7.99 or 8.99 a month you get all the movies/shows you want and on the 360 they are now offering 1080p. They just started that and I don't know if netflix is offering that for ps3 yet. That fee also includes 1 dvd at a time.

I have been looking through the streaming selections and it isn't the best in the world but blockbuster sucks for me so I am going back to netflix and the streaming is just an added bonus.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

1. Catt: I am playing .264 files in .mkv containers. On my old server the PS3 Media Server can't play them straight without jittering, but can transcode them keeping the buffer about 92% full, but it plays flawlessly on the TV. This seems backwards to me, but there it is.

2. On top of Netflix, I also have access to new movies and TV shows through the Playstation Store. Seems to be $3 for HD TV shows, and I saw a brand new movie on there for some reason (Men Who Stare at Goats). This store doesn't seem to have a subscription fee or anything, and again, unlike Netflix I don't seem to have access to old stuff.

3. The PS3's RJ45 jack is gigabit. Sweet. I only ever saw 100MBit on dedicated media streamer boxes.

Edited By GORDON on 1259070988
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Nice. My one complaint about the XBox 360 is I cant stream those .264 files. There's a fair amount of HD content encoded that way on the webs.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So far I am pretty pleased with this. Granted, what I wanted is a little non-standard, and I already had all of the network architecture (and home theater... setup took, literally, 30 seconds) in place.

Edited By GORDON on 1259071922
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

How is fan noise etc?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Now that you mention it, I haven't heard a thing out of it. My chair is about 12 feet from it.

Edited By GORDON on 1259077653
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The PS3 Media Server (called PMS from now on) can play straight iso's.

I had a hard time pulling the trigger on a HTPC/media tank/media streamer, but so far I have no regrets about the PS3.

Edited By GORDON on 1259251390
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Have you played any regular DVDs in you PS3? If so how is the upconversion on it?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yes I have, and I think it is better than the stand-alone BD player I had.... which, to be honest, I don't even think the upconversion on that Samsung BD player even looked as good as my dedicated DVD player.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

How quickly does it load DVDs? I have a Sony Blu-Ray in the living room and I swear I can make an omelet in the time it takes from power up to a DVD's menu.

And I had an upconvert DVD player too and also thought it was BS.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

PS3 loads up DVD's and BD's very fast.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

What is the fan and drive noise like when watching blu rays?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't hear a fan at all. There may not be a fan.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

How good is it's weight to size ratio?

Does it get good gas mileage?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I prolly sound like a fanboy, but really I am not. Here are a couple negatives:

No 'real' remote. You get a wireless ps3 controller that needs to be recharged every couple days with a usb plug attached to the machine, which needs to be on.

There are alternatives to that, but they cost.

That is the mAin gripe. I'd like it if I could add new apps without wiping the entire system and loading ubuntu... Which you can.
Troy

Post by Troy »

A friend I've met down here does home install for Best Buy and private stuff on the side wiring home theater systems.

For what it's worth, I told him about my TV purchase, and asked him about Blue Ray and what not.

He couldn't say enough good things about the PS3, how it is much much better than a $100 dollar BD player in terms of speed and image quality, and that with it able to hold music and movies with its HD, it's a pretty easy choice if I ever want to upgrade.

Edited By Troy on 1260915075
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The wife will play music off the server, while doing a picture slideshow, off the server for her relatives on the 61" TV. I believe you could do all this with a thumb drive or the hard drive.

I still haven't played a game on this thing.

I've read reviews saying this is the best BD player on the market. BD is Sony tech, and the PS3 is the platform on which they want to show it off.