Sure the PS3 will cost $600... but...

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

At least the games will be more expensive.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9901
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

But I'm sure things will get cheaper once blu ray becomes cheaper and less expensive to produce. Kinda like how CDs went down in price just like the record labels said they would :laugh:

Seriously though fuck sony, fuck em right in the ass if they want to get away with this absurd shit. I just hope more of their developers decide that being ps3 exclusive may not be in their best interests.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think Sony is going to have its hands full. They are way too cocky about their market share.

The price point on the PS3 is more than the 360 and triple the Wii.

The PSP has done ok, but not what they were expecting. (They expected to put Nintendo out of the handheld business.)

Meanwhile, Microsoft FINALLY got a clue and realized they didn't have to make a console when they already dominated the number one gaming platform. Using the PC and the 360 together to take down Sony is going to be an interesting strategy to watch.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Article about inflation adjusted prices

Inflation adjusted prices - graphically

Still seems $300-350 is a magic point for penetration.

Edited By TheCatt on 1152189481
It's not me, it's someone else.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Sony is fine as long as they continue to be a big player in Japan.

I think in the US the 360 can hold its own against PS3 and come in a close second but it can't knock sony off its perch because of such poor sales in Japan.

Just a few months back sales from Japan were released and to make it into the top 10 Xbox/Xbox360 games sold for the week you only had to sell 27 games. More SNES were being bought from stores then Xboxs were.

As long as Japan is a big player in video games the Xbox isn't going to take an overall lead.

I do think that it can end up being the most sold console in the US in the coming generations.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I remember when Voodoo video cards were THE #1 cards to own.

Then they came out with the Voodoo 4's and 5's, with the 5's costing $500 and required so much power that THEY HAD TO BE PLUGGED INTO A WALL SOCKET, and then Voodoo went out of business.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Sony is fine as long as they continue to be a big player in Japan.

I think in the US the 360 can hold its own against PS3 and come in a close second but it can't knock sony off its perch because of such poor sales in Japan.

Just a few months back sales from Japan were released and to make it into the top 10 Xbox/Xbox360 games sold for the week you only had to sell 27 games. More SNES were being bought from stores then Xboxs were.

As long as Japan is a big player in video games the Xbox isn't going to take an overall lead.

I do think that it can end up being the most sold console in the US in the coming generations.

I meant the U.S.

Japan never occured to me, but you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I remember when Voodoo video cards were THE #1 cards to own.

Then they came out with the Voodoo 4's and 5's, with the 5's costing $500 and required so much power that THEY HAD TO BE PLUGGED INTO A WALL SOCKET, and then Voodoo went out of business.
I remember the first time I saw one of those. That thing was a fucking beast.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

a magic point for penetration.
*giggle*
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bought a PS3 tonight, to replace my shitty Samsung BD-P1400 blu ray player.

$300 price point for the 120Gigger.

Simple to hook up and set up (HDMI/Sound/Network infrastructure was already in place for the stand alone BD player), so far no complaints. Appears I can set up a Netflix account right in the interface, and DL my movies without needing a PC.

I am going to look into setting it up as a media streamer. I heard it is possible.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bought a PS3 tonight, to replace my shitty Samsung BD-P1400 blu ray player.

$300 price point for the 120Gigger.

Simple to hook up and set up (HDMI/Sound/Network infrastructure was already in place for the stand alone BD player), so far no complaints. Appears I can set up a Netflix account right in the interface, and DL my movies without needing a PC.

I am going to look into setting it up as a media streamer. I heard it is possible.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Let me know if it does x.264. That's my one complaint about the XBox 360, can't do some of my HD content.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Setting up a "PS3 media server" on my server, now.

Server may be underpowered for the transcoding that seems to be required. I will see.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

1. UPnP needs to be enabled on your router.

2. UPnP is enabled on my router. After I enabled it, I see the router as a UPnP device in my UPnP window.

3. PS3, which has good network connectivity, says UPnP is "not available" when I run a network connection test. It can't see the PS3 media server running on the server, and the PS3 Media Server on the server cannot see the PS3 (even though the server can see the router in the UPnP device list, as well).

Thinking about it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Any firewalls on your server?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:Any firewalls on your server?
Yes, but I "Unblocked" as soon as I launched the program on the server, and even with firewall that shouldn't stop the PS3 from seeing a UPnP-enabled router...

I even hard-rebooted the router after I enabled UPnP, and confirmed it was active after reboot. No luck.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I would completely disable the FW on the server.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I can try that.

Also considering putting the PS3 in the DMZ and seeing what happens.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Putting the PS3 in the DMZ let the media server see the PS3.... PS3 can now see the media server....

But I certainly don't like having a machine in he DMZ.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Appears I can set up a Netflix account right in the interface

You will still need to get a disc from Netflix for streaming.