Help!!!!

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What the fuck is going on with system memory prices? Crucial has a single GB of PC2100 listed at $300??

On pricewatch.com I can find a generic single GB of PC2100 for $90.

Anyone know what's going on?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

They all went to make flash ram (compactflash/mmc/etc) to get higher margins... so those prices are tumbling.

Markets are self-correcting, but memory markets tend to move in about 2 year cycles, since that's about how long plant construction takes.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Check the CAS as well. The $300 might be CAS 2 with the $90 being CAS 3. Big margine for the two, but there is always a difference.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've checked every spec possible between the prices on Crucial/Best Buy and those on pricewatch and cannot find a difference.

If there truly is some new spec that makes a difference, Crucial must only be selling the new stuff because their memory is outrageously expensive now.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Pricewatch places are fraudulent?

Seems to be my experience.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Pricewatch is bogus? The few times I used them, they were good to go... but now I do most of my puter part shopping on tigerdirect.com. Good tech support, good customer service, good prices, established company. Excellent webpage... they have videos on how to install the cpu's and stuff you buy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, it's the super-cheap ones with 3 positive reviews that seem skethcy to me. I've used it a few times, but never gotten better (with enough feedback) reviews than I've seen elsewhere.

Edited By TheCatt on 1087046376
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've used pricewatch.com to build 2 PCs and haven't had one problem yet.

All pricewatch does is allow vendors to basically bid on your business.

If something is too cheap, its probably that way for a reason. I've never bought from the absolute lowest bidder. I always shop for a good looking vendor in a price range that many vendors seem to be pricing in. Then you know you're getting legit stuff from a legit place.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Leisher wrote:I've used pricewatch.com to build 2 PCs and haven't had one problem yet.

If something is too cheap, its probably that way for a reason. I've never bought from the absolute lowest bidder. I always shop for a good looking vendor in a price range that many vendors seem to be pricing in. Then you know you're getting legit stuff from a legit place.
Yups, just don't be too cheap or too stupid about it and Pricewatch does a superb job.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

mbilderback wrote:
Leisher wrote:I've used pricewatch.com to build 2 PCs and haven't had one problem yet.

Yups, just don't be too cheap or too stupid about it and Pricewatch does a superb job.
With my first experience building a PC, I got pretty lucky. I chose the cheapest components they listed, and everything still works 18 months later... except for the $17 UPS I bought. First power flicker, and it was an IPS. The brand was Tripp-Lite.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

The brand was Tripp-Lite.
???
Seriously, APC or bust. And it's great that the reliability leader is also well priced.