Point to Point Wireless Bridge

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

ANyone ever use these? I want to put a wifi camera out to my detached garage. No hardline network out there. Right on the edge of wireless range, and I want a stronger signal.

I'm thinking one of those bridges, and a switch, and plug the camera into it?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-CPE210-3 ... 00P4JKQGK/
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've never used a bridge like that. Why not a WiFi extender?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I originally looked at something directional, since the garage is a bit away from the house. That's sort of what came up. I presume you point those things at each other.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

WiFi extenders don't need any direction. All they need is the signal, and they're made specifically to strengthen weak signals. Many will have ports so you could plug the camera right into it.

I'd try that before spending the money on the bridge and switch?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

But wouldn't the signal be less week with a directional antenna? I remember people used to even make them out of pringles cans.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The WiFi extender takes the weak signal, injects it with steroids, and makes it strong.

Now I do want to point out that there can be a difference between a booster and an extender depending on manufacturer. So my sentence above might not apply unless it says "booster" instead of "extender".

I use Netgear devices for my home network, and they eliminated the difference between booster and extender. Their devices do both. In fact, if you have one of their WiFi routers laying around unused, they can act as a WiFi extender.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Camera installed, and it can't see the house wifi at all, at the moment. Wifi is always hit and miss out there, so I was hoping it would just connect. Sigh.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Can one connect an extender to an extender?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yes