Nuclear Fusion

Leisher
Site Admin

Nuclear Fusion

Post by Leisher »

China turned on its device and it burned for 17 minutes at 5x hotter than the sun.

They're not the only ones with this tech or working on it, but this was a record time, not temp.

I am really curious about the science at play here. How the hell do you contain something that hot?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Nuclear Fusion

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 pm I am really curious about the science at play here. How the hell do you contain something that hot?
Well, depends on how big it is.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Nuclear Fusion

Post by Leisher »

I have a panties joke, but I don't want to derail the thread. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Nuclear Fusion

Post by thibodeaux »

On the one hand, I hate China and everything in it.

On the other....maybe they'll blow themselves up. And not take us with them this time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Nuclear Fusion

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Nuclear Fusion

Post by GORDON »

Tony Stark did it in a cave. With a box of scraps.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Nuclear Fusion

Post by GORDON »

More and more stories coming out. I should read the wiki. Seems counterintuitive to me, like it's going against thermodynamics. How can you take two simple things, fuse it into a complex thing, and get energy output?

Seems like taking heat, and smoke, and ash, and reassembling it into the log you burned.... but then still have extra heat left over, with your log. I dunno.

I'm sure it works, otherwise this is a big scam, heh. The sun is fusioning all day long, but it's ultimately stepping down the potential energy ladder, no?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Nuclear Fusion

Post by Leisher »

Here's what Gordon was talking about: New fusion record set.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Nuclear Fusion

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:27 pm Here's what Gordon was talking about: New fusion record set.
Scientists and engineers near the English city of Oxford have set a nuclear fusion energy record, they announced Thursday, bringing the clean, futuristic power source another step closer to reality.
How many more steps?
It's not me, it's someone else.