Adaptive driving beams

Leisher
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:03 pm Now legal in the U.S.
Strange what needs to be legalized.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by GORDON »

A broken headlight will cost so much to replace the insurance company will just total the car.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:34 pm A broken headlight will cost so much to replace the insurance company will just total the car.
like windshields these days
GORDON
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:41 pm
GORDON wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:34 pm A broken headlight will cost so much to replace the insurance company will just total the car.
like windshields these days
I heard the ones for my Leaf were. I went ahead and added window insurance to my policy, it's like $1 per month.
GORDON
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by GORDON »

Rented a car with adaptive beams the other day, it was my first experience.

Did not like.

When I am controlling the beams, I'm always careful to never have them on with oncoming cars, or cars ahead within a half mile. These adaptive beams were set way less conservatively. They would switch to high beams with another oncoming car like RIGHT THERE (on the other side of the highway, but still). They were switching beams like a douche was driving. I disabled them pretty quick.

It was the kind of car, too, that even with low-beam people were flashing me like I had my brights on. So.

Not a fan. I also disabled the radar that would lower the cruise control speed when I was a quarter mile from the car in front of me. Do younger people actually need these features to drive? They suck.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:34 am I also disabled the radar that would lower the cruise control speed when I was a quarter mile from the car in front of me
The last time we had a car that had this, you could set it to 3 levels of sensitivity. The closest one was actually useful.
GORDON wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:34 am When I am controlling the beams, I'm always careful to never have them on with oncoming cars, or cars ahead within a half mile. These adaptive beams were set way less conservatively. They would switch to high beams with another oncoming car like RIGHT THERE (on the other side of the highway, but still). They were switching beams like a douche was driving. I disabled them pretty quick.
Havent had that before.
Leisher
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:34 am Rented a car with adaptive beams the other day, it was my first experience.

Did not like.

When I am controlling the beams, I'm always careful to never have them on with oncoming cars, or cars ahead within a half mile. These adaptive beams were set way less conservatively. They would switch to high beams with another oncoming car like RIGHT THERE (on the other side of the highway, but still). They were switching beams like a douche was driving. I disabled them pretty quick.

It was the kind of car, too, that even with low-beam people were flashing me like I had my brights on. So.

Not a fan.
I wonder how many of these are on the roads because during all the driving I've been doing lately I started wondering if everyone is driving around with their high beams on or if headlights are just super bright in new cars.
GORDON wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:34 am Do younger people actually need these features to drive? They suck.
Yes and they do suck. Not their fault though. We're making technology that removes the need for those skills.

Amish people probably think we can't cut wood for shit or something else old...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by GORDON »

I've cut many a cord of wood. Amish can suck a dick, because I have all that and a big TV, too
Troy

Adaptive driving beams

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:27 am
I wonder how many of these are on the roads because during all the driving I've been doing lately I started wondering if everyone is driving around with their high beams on or if headlights are just super bright in new cars.
Same, driving at night in the last few years on roads without divided medians is eye scorching.

Additionally, if any of the new LED bright SUV's come up behind you in a traditional sedan(e: like our old Accord), it illuminates your soul via the rear view mirror. I've been trying to play with the mirror in a way that will blind the driver behind me, but not sure how to pop it in place right. I'm having to move it from regular position anyway, usually just pointing it straight down.
Last edited by Troy on Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:12 pm I'm having to move it from regular position anyway, usually just pointing it straight down.
Yours doesn't have the normal flick for dimmer?
Troy

Adaptive driving beams

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:21 pm
Troy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:12 pm I'm having to move it from regular position anyway, usually just pointing it straight down.
Yours doesn't have the normal flick for dimmer?
The what now? 2007 Accord Coupe btw.
GORDON
Site Admin

Adaptive driving beams

Post by GORDON »

I'd love a rear window, pop-up mirror to send their headlights right back at them.