Fiber internet

Cakedaddy

Fiber internet

Post by Cakedaddy »

I think someone here has fiber at home so:

What kind of modem does it use? Or does it connect direct to your router? How do you hook up your service?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fiber internet

Post by TheCatt »

We have Google Fiber. They use a proprietary Google box, as far as I know, that then has a standard ethernet that goes to my Nest Wifi. Fiber runs along the street, there's a box of some kind buried in my front yard. That then runs to my backyard, where all the utility boxes are. That then has a cable running to the side of my house where a hole was drilled in our foundation to the crawlspace, and hole then in my office with a small device that then runs to where the above Google box lives.

The google box has wifi + 6 ethernet ports, iirc (maybe only 4). But I turn that off and just forward it to my Nest stuff.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fiber internet

Post by TheCatt »

I can get more specifics tomorrow, or pictures, if they help. I've been drinking alreayd tonight.
Cakedaddy

Fiber internet

Post by Cakedaddy »

The main question was answered. You don't use your old cable modem. Which I highly doubted anyway, but couldn't confirm. I figure the Google box is a media converter/demuxer that converts the signal to standard Ethernet. Have you ever looked in to buying your own Google box, like you can buy your own cable modem? I'm guessing there's not much of a market for them, and they haven't become widely available yet.

Also, is your connection shared with neighbors like cable is? Or are you guaranteed your throughput?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fiber internet

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:21 pm Have you ever looked in to buying your own Google box, like you can buy your own cable modem? I'm guessing there's not much of a market for them, and they haven't become widely available yet.
There's no fee/it's wrapped into the monthly, so there's no point.
Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:21 pm Also, is your connection shared with neighbors like cable is? Or are you guaranteed your throughput?
I think it's guaranteed. Wired in, tests around 900 Mbps each direction.
I figure the Google box is a media converter/demuxer that converts the signal to standard Ethernet.
There's a small box inside my office that connects to the cable from the utility box, on the wall like a cable plug. That box has a ethernet run to the Google Fiber router.