Electronic and Hybrid car regulations

Troy

Post by Troy »

We are notorious car simplest. In Atlanta, post college, we both bought 06 Accord coupes, barely drove them, sold one for California move, and still haven't put 100k miles on the one we have left.

But it's old and we've left the sun roof open during rains so it's kind of smelly.

So we finally pulled the trigger on 2021 Rav4 Hybrid with like 10 miles on it. Magnetic grey, black rims, two electric motors to pair with the existing engine, nice sound system, absolutely sick.

But this post is about the new electronic/hybrid regulations and what they mean.

Imagine my surprise when I backed out of my drive way for the first time and heard the "angel choir" - a new safety feature I will demonstrate below. . Apparently the government mandated that, to address pedestrians getting hit by super quiet electric and hybrid vehicles, all new car manufacturers have to add a 60 db noise when in low speed. My forward noise is fine, but the reverse is LOUD, and below.

Angel choir (not my car) :

I guess I will get used to it, but I am not a huge fan of it off the bat. You can remove it, but that sounds like a bad idea. You can also deafen it a bit if it's too loud, but I'll hold off on it for a bit to see if I get used to it.

Car kicks ass otherwise.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I do not love it, but hope you get used to it. I understand the why, but don't love it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Learned I can avoid angel reverse noise by pressing the gas once in Park. It starts the regular engine and no angel choir.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:47 am I do not love it, but hope you get used to it. I understand the why, but don't love it.
That's where I fall. I have been out working in the yard and gotten startled by an electric car coming around the curve. I never heard a thing, so the safety of adding a noise is absolutely logical and justifiable. However, that doesn't mean it's awesome.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Why don't they just make it sound like an engine? Or just beep like the UPS trucks do?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My car beeps like a truck when backing.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

When I was kid in the early 80s, I thought we should all be driving electric cars.

And I also loved Hardcastle and McCormic:

So I thought, you'd definitely want some sound effects on the electric cars :p