In home mesh wireless

Cakedaddy

In home mesh wireless

Post by Cakedaddy »

Anyone doing this? Anyone know anyone doing this? A LOT of people ask how they can improve their home Internet access and heard about this mesh wifi stuff. I don't use it, so know nothing about it. Anyone have any experience?
TheCatt
Site Admin

In home mesh wireless

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:23 pm Anyone doing this? Anyone know anyone doing this? A LOT of people ask how they can improve their home Internet access and heard about this mesh wifi stuff. I don't use it, so know nothing about it. Anyone have any experience?
I kinda am. We Use Nest Wifi, but we have all 3 wifi points wired in. I tried mesh mode, and it worked, but it was noticeably slower (duh) due to the additional relay. Probably fast enough for phones, but wasn't fast/consistent enough for streaming 4k videos/etc to a TV, imho.

Other systems are slightly higher rated, but we have Google everything, and it's really easy to use.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

In home mesh wireless

Post by Leisher »

Not using it. I have a Nighthawk X12?(whatever their top model is) and an extender at the top of the house.

I have looked into mesh systems, but they seem really expensive and I don't think the performance is there to justify it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

In home mesh wireless

Post by thibodeaux »

Google wifi mesh. Works pretty good.
Troy

In home mesh wireless

Post by Troy »

thibodeaux wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:53 pm Google wifi mesh. Works pretty good.
Same. 2 units, one for each office.
TheCatt
Site Admin

In home mesh wireless

Post by TheCatt »

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbe973sb/

$2,300 for 3 HOME wifi units? JFC. $1,700 for 2? Stupid inflation
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

In home mesh wireless

Post by Cakedaddy »

Look at MoCA or Ethernet over coax. If you have coax you don't use (from back in the cable TV days), it's a good way to get Ethernet through the house without having to run cables and is a better solution than mesh being that the routers would be hardwired.
Leisher
Site Admin

In home mesh wireless

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:30 pm https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbe973sb/

$2,300 for 3 HOME wifi units? JFC. $1,700 for 2? Stupid inflation
The worst part is they roll out like TVs with new tech. Every quarter is something new.

The good part is that the constant products push down the price of the older ones pretty quickly.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”