Free PCs

Leisher
Site Admin

Free PCs

Post by Leisher »

Sometimes I love and hate our society at the same time.

I have a stack of 3-4 year old desktops in my office that I want to give to underprivileged families. (These did not sell in our annual employee sale of equipment no longer in use.) Posted on a FB parent group and was overwhelmed with responses.

Someone from Head Start schools who wants to distribute them to families. She was first and got the lion's share.

Three different poor families who have no computer living in my community. (They have free WiFi thanks to the local ISP.)

An organization that deals with human trafficking and heroin addiction whose location is secret and needs a PC for communication as cell phones are strictly forbidden.

Glad to help. Disappointed our government wastes so much money elsewhere, and thus, my help is needed...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Free PCs

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:40 pm Disappointed our government wastes so much money elsewhere, and thus, my help is needed...
Charity will take care of everything. So I'm told.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Free PCs

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:48 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:40 pm Disappointed our government wastes so much money elsewhere, and thus, my help is needed...
Charity will take care of everything. So I'm told.
I'm told taxes are charity. :D

Listen, the government should absolutely be responsible for some things, but not others.

Head Start schools is federally funded, and I think the kids have Chromebooks. So technically, you can't pin that one on Uncle Sam.

The secret organization one doesn't get federal funds, so yes, charity should pay for that one. Although, that's a really interesting case where they are secret, so they can't just hold a fund raiser...

As for poor families, if the local ISP can provide free WiFi, then the least the government could do is get them all a device to use it. That might seem like free handouts, but in our electronic age it's increasingly being needed to stay in touch with the world. I don't expect or want the government to hand out freebies ALL the time, but in this case, it's kind of win-win-win.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Free PCs

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:40 pm An organization that deals with human trafficking and heroin addiction whose location is secret and needs a PC for communication as cell phones are strictly forbidden.
Can you explain/elaborate? Are cell phones forbidden bc they can be used to determine location? (of traffic victims, I guess?)
Leisher
Site Admin

Free PCs

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:26 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:40 pm An organization that deals with human trafficking and heroin addiction whose location is secret and needs a PC for communication as cell phones are strictly forbidden.
Can you explain/elaborate? Are cell phones forbidden bc they can be used to determine location? (of traffic victims, I guess?)
I wish I could, but I didn't get more details. I was talking to the wife about it and breaking it down, but it all sounded so odd.