Gaming headsets

Cakedaddy

Gaming headsets

Post by Cakedaddy »

I would have thought these would have been discussed by now, but couldn't find a thread.

Anyway, I bought a Razer Megoladon headset MANY years ago for the 7.1 surround sound it offered. Right out of the box, the 7.1 never worked. It made everything sound tinny, or like I was in a metal drum or something. I got ZERO spacial awareness from them, other than left/right stereo. I chalked it up to them being virtual surround and a gimmick that you paid extra for, but doesn't really work. I thought Leisher has a set. Do they work for you?

Does anyone have a surround sound headset that works in games? Troy CLAIMS(!) that his Arctis 7 works, as did his previous headset. I bought the Arctis 5 headset today (I don't need wireless, didn't want the extra weight of the batteries, and they were in stock where the 7's are hard to find). They are supposed to use the same speakers, etc as the 7's.

I don't know if my Megoladon was broken out of the box, weren't built well enough to actually work, or if my ears are too shitty to be able to hear surround via a headset. I'm REALLY hoping the new set works for me.

But again, anyone else using a surround headset that actually gives them spacial awareness in games?
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming headsets

Post by Leisher »

I do have the Razer Megalodon, but I recently retired them. I do still have them laying around like a certain video card...

They worked for me, but they did require specific drivers. I remember playing a few horror games/FPSs where they worked as advertised. However, I mostly play with my speakers and not a headset.

I switched though because I rarely play with headphones on, they were heavy (although comfortable), and being cabled to that one box was a bit annoying.

I went with a wireless pair of Alienware I got at the last DTW I attended. They're pretty slick, but I've only used them for our gaming, so D&D and Among Us.

I'll have to give them a go with a horror game to see if I get the spatial awareness you're looking for... I will attempt it tonight.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Gaming headsets

Post by Cakedaddy »

What drivers? They didn't ship with any, and ALL of their support pages talk about no drivers/software being needed. Just plug them in and they work.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming headsets

Post by Leisher »

I don't remember. It's been so many years. I do remember software that allowed me to do shit with the settings.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Gaming headsets

Post by Stranger »

I bought myself the Steelseries headset just last year, can't remember if they are the 5's or 7's but they are the wireless ones. I'll have to check it out when i get home. I love them, they have a really slick software where you can adjust EQ, how much voice feeback you recieve, and choose your stereo or 7.1 surround. Its been a while since i've messed around with the software but there are quite a bit of features built into it and i believe it was one of the reasons i bought them in the first place, the reviews on these headsets are really good.

I do remember giving them a go in Overwatch and immediately noticing where the sounds were coming from. i could tell the footsteps or gunshots were coming from above or below me, something which most headsets have a tough time replicating. Since you've already bought them i don't need to convince you, but i'm sure you will be really happy with them. The only complaint i'd have is the controls for volume, mute and voice blend are behind the ear. I sometimes accidentally adjust those when i'm taking the headset on and off.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming headsets

Post by Leisher »

The Alienware has the buttons back there too. I don't mind them hiding like that, but they're too small and not distinct. Thus, I'm not sure if I'm hitting mute, power, volume, etc. without taking them off and looking.
Troy

Gaming headsets

Post by Troy »

My only complaints about the Arctis 7's is that the mute button (which I never use) is kind of crappy and isn't easy to click and unclick compared to the rest of the controls. It does have a pretty nifty red-mute icon when you do hit the button that is useful.

Also the wireless range doesn't quite cover all the way to my kitchen, which is a minor annoyance.

Otherwise, by far my best headset so far. Gaming surround wise, they are the same as my old Logitech gaming wired one. Can solidly hear people coming from all directions in Rust.
Cakedaddy

Gaming headsets

Post by Cakedaddy »

Ya. About buying them. The day after placing the order, I got the "We're sorry. We don't actually have any." email. So still looking for them. I REALLY wanted to buy them locally so I could return them if they didn't work for me.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gaming headsets

Post by GORDON »

You can return Amazon stuff at Kohl's and ups stores now.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Gaming headsets

Post by Cakedaddy »

Even used?
GORDON
Site Admin

Gaming headsets

Post by GORDON »

Cakedaddy wrote: Even used?
I think any return can be processed that way. What's cool is that as soon as the UPS guy scans it in, that's a return. Immediate refund.

At least that was my experience
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gaming headsets

Post by TheCatt »

Cake - Any word on the Arctis 5s?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Gaming headsets

Post by Cakedaddy »

I ended up with the Arctis 7 wireless. I was concerned about weight due to batteries, but they haven't been an issue. I do miss the controller box the Razer set had because the mute and volume functions were so accessible. But I'm getting used to the mute and volume buttons being on the left ear. As far as the surround sound, I'd say I'm not blown away, but I 'think' it's working. If I'm in game and I'm trying to listen for it by turning so the noise is behind me, then in front, or below then above, I can't really hear it. They both sound the same to me. One might be quieter (because it's behind me), but it doesn't really sound 'behind' me. That being said, when I'm just in the game and focusing on the action or the task at hand, I do find myself turning towards sounds, even behind or above/below me. So, there must be something there that my brain hears, but I don't.

The only reason I really wanted surround was for Rust. Knowing where the bad guys are is REALLY important. The game is just so unforgiving and you need every bit of information you can get. Well, at least I do. Other games, it's not life or death, so it doesn't really matter. I'll probably always spend the extra money to have surround, even though I don't think it REALLY benefits me. But if surround isn't all that important, or if you can't hear it like me, spending less might appeal.

Over all, they sound really good (but so did my Razer set), they are convenient being wireless, good battery life, and I can wear them about as long as I could the Razer before my head/ears have had enough of having shit on them, so I'd say they are comfortable.

Best out there? No clue. But I don't regret buying them.
Stranger

Gaming headsets

Post by Stranger »

I've got the same pair. I like them, but now that i've had them for a couple of years i find that they are a little more bulky than i'd prefer. I've also noticed that i don't like the almost complete noise cancelling from outside sources. I've had my son or wife calling for me and i don't hear a thing and then my wife gets pissed.

Also, not being able to hear my own voice other than the volume i put into my headphones has an effect on how i talk. Kinda weird and hard to explain, but i like to hear my voice with my ears in the room i'm in. I think my next pair will be an open air type so i can hear my natural voice and whats going on around me more.

I'm really happy with the way they sound and they still hold a charge really well and have no complaints with that. The controls on the back of the ears are a little cumbersome but nothing you can't get used too.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!