Dell Technology World 2020

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Virtually being held today and tomorrow. I'm actually attending the Keynote as I type this.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Nothing super exciting out of the Keynote. Mainly a lot of "how Covid has changed the world" chatter.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The new Optimizer is pretty bad ass.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The new Dell Optimizer only runs on Latitudes and Precisions, but I see this becoming a new standard. Someone, like Trend or Symantec, is going to make a version for every PC. It's a really cool tool.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Give us a one sentence summary of it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Better yet, make me trust software from dell.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Give us a one sentence summary of it.
Pick up to 5 programs on your computer and Optimizer will analyze them for hours and figure out how to make them run better while freeing up resources for the other programs you're running.

Essentially, this is something VMWare and HyperV should be strongly focused on because virtualization is still a shitshow when it comes to resource sharing. However, for individual PCs it can be quite a useful tool. I have multiple programs running on my PCs at any given time and some are resource hogs. It'd be nice to have them reigned in.
TheCatt wrote: Better yet, make me trust software from dell.
Meh. Nobody, imho, makes software that is fully trustworthy.

In other DTW 2020 news, there is a TED talk taking center stage and FUCK it is boring. Oh shit, as I type this I realize it's multiple TED talks and this seems to be female centric. The moderator is a woman and both TED talk presenters so far have been women.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Second woman is a hand talker. She keeps touching her chin as if contemplating some deep thought. She's done it 10 times already less than 5 minutes in...

Her hands won't stop moving! Almost every single word gets a motion. This is so distracting!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It just occurred to me that I have no idea what the topic of the first woman's speech was...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Hand talker also looks up and to the right a lot. She looks off to the right a LOT. She's kind of attractive in a "I'm coaching her kid in youth league soccer and she's on her second divorce" kind of way. :D

Her TED talk is fucking interesting as hell though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

5 TED talks, zero white men. Probably smart considering yesterday's Keynote was all old crackers.

In another session now. The lady speaking has a thick accent. Northern European? She's a blinker. Lots of blinking and most times a bunch at once.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Oh shit, as I type this I realize it's multiple TED talks and this seems to be female centric. The moderator is a woman and both TED talk presenters so far have been women.
Better than a "manel"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I wish I could have shown you guys the hand talker. Might have been the worst case of it I've ever seen. What she presented on was cool though.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I've noticed a lot of speakers tend to smack their tongue at the end of everygoddam sentence, like they need to signal a period or something.

I think hate that worse than uptalk??
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It still makes me chuckle when these presentations talk about data centerS, thousands of employees, IT teams, and so on.

98% of the businesses on the planet are SMB.

0% of presentations at tech conferences are geared towards them.
thibodeaux wrote: I've noticed a lot of speakers tend to smack their tongue at the end of everygoddam sentence, like they need to signal a period or something.
Great. Something else I'm going to be trying to spot.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This looks like it's on Fremont Street based on the Golden Nugget sign, but that's awesome.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:48 pm This looks like it's on Fremont Street based on the Golden Nugget sign, but that's awesome.
What?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:56 pm Shit... I goofed. Looking for it now.

This place, but what I meant to post was someone's view from their room.
that’s a lot of pee water