Windows 10 & 11 Tips and Tricks

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There's a Win10 thread, but the tips and tricks are spread throughout. Here's a place to concentrate them.
How to get rid of the many ads in the new update.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-ditch-the ... ors-update
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Windows 10 Tips and Tricks

Post by GORDON »

How to remove the search box from the task bar.

Personally, I find it annoying.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how ... 0.2738846/
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Windows 10 now has OpenSSH Server as a built-in add-on.

Nice.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

My Zwift (online bike racing) laptop updated itself to Windows 10 2004... and now my bluetooth headphones work for like 5 seconds, then stop making sounds. Tried 2 different pairs, same issue. Upgrade headphone firmware, ran bluetooth troubleshooter... nothing.

Fuck Microsoft.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't think this is your issue, but one Win10 update changed how programs use/take over the headset, and I had to remember this, and remember how to fix, headphones on 3 different systems when one day they stopped working.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I don't think this is your issue, but one Win10 update changed how programs use/take over the headset, and I had to remember this, and remember how to fix, headphones on 3 different systems when one day they stopped working.
maybe. both things i normally do with my headphones on that system are chrome. But, I tried only Chrome, and it was still fail. Physically plugged in headphones worked fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Never put it past MS to break Chrome because Google has intentionally broken MS software and their own apps for MS hardware before.

Try using Edge, the new one that is actually ok so far, and see if you have better results.

Side note, why the actual fuck wouldn't MS rename their new browser? Why use Edge, which is the name of the worst browser in history?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I don't think this is your issue, but one Win10 update changed how programs use/take over the headset, and I had to remember this, and remember how to fix, headphones on 3 different systems when one day they stopped working.
maybe. both things i normally do with my headphones on that system are chrome. But, I tried only Chrome, and it was still fail. Physically plugged in headphones worked fine.
So Windows 10 lists both "headphones" and "headset" modes for my headphones. If I disable headphones mode, the audio works. But the audio SUCKS ASS because that's how life is. "HeadPhones" mode works for 1 second, and sounds much better. I updated the patches today, and there was an update for Windows 10, but it didn't fix anything.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There was a setting I had to find... "allow any application to use headphones," or something weird like that. It was weird because OF COURSE I WANT TO DO THAT. Some patch happened and the default got set to something like "Allow only windows to send audio through headphones."

And I'm going from memory, I'm sure the wording is different.

And I can't remember where that setting is.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Windows+Shift+S

I never knew about that shortcut before.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:31 pm Windows+Shift+S

I never knew about that shortcut before.
Neither did I, but the screen-shotting software I've used does the same.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Anyone have a spare Win10 Home key they're not using? Send in PM please and thank you.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:08 pm Anyone have a spare Win10 Home key they're not using? Send in PM please and thank you.
Are you still using the one I sent you a while ago? (Can you re-use keys?)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:10 pm
GORDON wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:08 pm Anyone have a spare Win10 Home key they're not using? Send in PM please and thank you.
Are you still using the one I sent you a while ago? (Can you re-use keys?)
Lost track of that key. Can you resend?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Was feeling nostalgic today.

I remember back when doing a Windows install.... you better plan 6 hours, minimum. Good project for a nerdy Saturday night.

Today I installed Win10 off a thumb drive in about 20 minutes, unformatted drive to working desktop.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10/11 Tips and Tricks

Post by Leisher »

Windows 11 so far is not much different, except:
-They went with the Apple design for icons on the task bar and it's pretty fucking stupid. Now when you open the Start menu the icons are randomly thrown in, which you can remove and add, but it's a terrible design compared to the last Start menu where you could group them.
-Another dumb thing about the Start menu is that recent documents eats up at least half the window. Tell Windows not to show them and it removes the files, but the section stays there. Absolutely moronic.
-I run dual screen and the time is only displayed in the corner on my primary screen now. So if I'm gaming...no more way to see the time. Dumb.

How to alter the unpopular change or download an alternative.

Seriously, how fucking dumb are the engineers at Microsoft? "Hey, we have been curb stomping Apple since day 1. Let's change our design to mimic theirs since people obviously love it!!!"

The only explanation that makes sense is they hired software designers from Apple.

Having a customizable Start menu was awesome.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Dear Microsoft,

It's 2021 and about to be 2022, a lot of people have more than one monitor now.

We'd like the clock to appear in the corner of both windows, so when we go full screen on one monitor, we can still track the time.

Thanks!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:18 pm We'd like the clock to appear in the corner of both windows
I'm confused. I have 3 monitors and 3 clocks?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah you can set it to show task bar on every monitor.