Windows 10 & 11 Tips and Tricks

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:03 pm Windows 11 so far is not much different, except:
How is Windows 11? Looks like the new laptop comes with it, so I'm going to try it out.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:26 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:18 pm We'd like the clock to appear in the corner of both windows
I'm confused. I have 3 monitors and 3 clocks?
I never updated, but yes they fixed this. They got a ton of complaints.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:11 pm How is Windows 11? Looks like the new laptop comes with it, so I'm going to try it out.
Looking forward to seeing what its all about myself. Its supposed to work really well with the new Gen 12 CPU's like we have and take full advantage of the E-cores.
Leisher wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:36 pm I never updated, but yes they fixed this. They got a ton of complaints.
Only got to mess around with it for about 30 mins last night but it did look like i had the clock on only one of the monitors. Maybe there's a service pack download i still may need??

So far the only difference i noticed was that the task bar icons were now in the center of the bar. But like i said, only played around for about 30 mins.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:45 am Looking forward to seeing what its all about myself. Its supposed to work really well with the new Gen 12 CPU's like we have and take full advantage of the E-cores.
I've been using it for 1 week. So far, so good.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:45 am Only got to mess around with it for about 30 mins last night but it did look like i had the clock on only one of the monitors. Maybe there's a service pack download i still may need??
It's a setting.

Right-click Taskbar | Taskbar settings | Taskbar Behaviors | Show taskbar on all displays, I think (I'm on one display right now, so it doesnt show up right)
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:24 am It's a setting.

Right-click Taskbar | Taskbar settings | Taskbar Behaviors | Show taskbar on all displays, I think (I'm on one display right now, so it doesnt show up right)
I definitely had the task bar on both displays, but not the clock. I'll have to look into it more but right now, its not that big of a deal for me.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:24 amIt's a setting.
A setting that was added, and apparently, got turned on in the latest update. I know that because when I first updated it didn't exist and peeps were bitching. Recently I had to reboot to apply system changes and voila, I suddenly had a clock in my second monitor.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:45 am So far the only difference i noticed was that the task bar icons were now in the center of the bar.

You can move that to the left where it always has been located for Windows users. It's a setting.

The worst part so far continues to be them stupidly removing all the customization for the Start menu.

Other than that, I've had no issues.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:46 am You can move that to the left where it always has been located for Windows users. It's a setting.
Yeah, I did that, I didn't like the middle.

I rarely use the start menu anyway, so not a big deal. I mostly just pin every app I commonly use to the taskbar so it's always there.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Had a Windows 11 update yesterday. After the update.. Boom, clock on both task bars
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It is bugging me that people glommed on win11 chat to the win10 thread. It's isn't like we're only allowed so many new threads per month.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:33 pm It is bugging me that people glommed on win11 chat to the win10 thread. It's isn't like we're only allowed so many new threads per month.
get with the times
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:25 pm
GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:33 pm It is bugging me that people glommed on win11 chat to the win10 thread. It's isn't like we're only allowed so many new threads per month.
get with the times
Technically, 10 is 11 or 11 is 10, just updated.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I don't know what's different in Windows 11, but my bluetooth headsets sounds like dogshit when the mic is on. And windows treats them like completely separate devices (headset vs headphones), so the sound settings are completely separate, etc. It's terrible.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There was some update years ago on Win10 that fucked up headsets. Took me a while to figure out what happened when it worked one day, and not the next.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:39 am There was some update years ago on Win10 that fucked up headsets. Took me a while to figure out what happened when it worked one day, and not the next.
Audio with "headset" mode is 1 channel, 16-bit, 8000 kbps or some bullshit. Sounds worse than AM radio. Windows calls it "telephone quality" and cannot be changed.

Audio with "headphones" is 2 channel, 16-bit, 48000 kbps ("DVD Quality")

Right now I have it so that I listen on my headphones, but use my laptop's mic. Which feels diptarded.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

What I thought was dumb is that the setting....

It went from "Select headphones as audio out." Simple, right? Well they added a new setting. Even if it was your preferred audio-out, you had to allow programs, like discord, to use the headphones. It defaulted to "No." That was dumb.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm building a new file server for mom's tax office. Getting her off the old windows home OS.

Does Win11 Pro still allow 5 users to connect for file sharing, and stuff like that? They also use a program that installs on the server shared drive and then they launch the client on their desktops, but that has its own licensing and I wouldn't THINK Win11 would have a problem with that. I don't know the new Windows server 2022 OS well enough to feel comfortable trying to set it up from scratch.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »