Scams and such

Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of people.

The reason we have all received emails from a Nigerian prince, our bosses asking us to go get gift cards, Microsoft claiming they're going to give us $500, and so on is because they work.

People fall for this garbage every single day. It's a huge business.

And if you don't forward this to 10 people within the next 5 minutes the same thing is going to happen to you!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

CNN article about a woman getting scammed.

First of all, $160K got her to live her dream life in CA? In what, a cardboard box?

Secondly, may all of these scammers die the worst possible deaths imaginable.

Thirdly, who do you blame more, her or her bank?

Personally, I think this is a 50/50 situation. She is at fault because she bought into the scam hook, line, and sinker. However, it doesn't appear like the bank did shit to stop what should have been flagged as suspicious behavior over the course of a week.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by TheCatt »

What part of "NEVER SHARE THESE NUMBERS WITH ANYONE" do people not understand?
This is what my bank says when it texts codes
DO NOT share this Sign In code. We will NEVER call you or text you for it.
She's 100% responsible, but the bank probably should have been like "Gee, this sure is aberrant behavior for this customer"
Chase Bank told CBS News that bank officials had attempted to contact Moss via phone and email regarding the wire transfers at the time. Moss says she did not receive any of these messages.
Maybe the fraudsters had changed that info? But, then the codes wouldn't have still been going to her.
He also said that the current two-factor authentication systems, including text messages, are insufficient in combating the increasingly sophisticated tactics employed by scammers.
This is also true.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:20 pm What part of "NEVER SHARE THESE NUMBERS WITH ANYONE" do people not understand?
As an IT person, I believe perhaps I have become numb to people ignoring warnings. I am all too aware that no amount of training or warnings is going to stop people from falling prey to this stuff.
TheCatt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:20 pm She's 100% responsible, but the bank probably should have been like "Gee, this sure is aberrant behavior for this customer"
The last part is why I don't think she's 100% responsible. Part of the deal is that they're supposed to be watching the account for unusual activity. Honestly, why pay to put money in a bank AND allow them to make money off of it at the same time if they're not giving you any sort of service back other than holding onto it?

I don't know how people are getting past two factor authentication, but they did against us. I think we're thisclose to facial recognition becoming required for most logons.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by GORDON »

Kinda why I have online banking with text alerts any time anything more than a penny goes into, or out of, my account. It might happen but I'll know within seconds and can try to take steps.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:11 pm Kinda why I have online banking with text alerts any time anything more than a penny goes into, or out of, my account. It might happen but I'll know within seconds and can try to take steps.
Yeah, my alert threshold is $5. Now, they can remove those alerts if they are in the account, of course.
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

Biggest fine EVAH for robocall scam.

Great, but it's not big enough. Put people in jail and financially cripple them and their company permanently.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:13 pm Biggest fine EVAH for robocall scam.

Great, but it's not big enough. Put people in jail and financially cripple them and their company permanently.
Death penalty. Also for all scammers.
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:20 am
Leisher wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:13 pm Biggest fine EVAH for robocall scam.

Death penalty. Also for all scammers.
Seconded
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:07 am Yay good guy hackers.
Let's go drop in the buckets!
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

That's a bit pessimistic.

I look at it as at least someone is doing something.

We all know our government isn't exactly leading the charge against cybercrimes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

Watch out for fake QR codes designed to get malicious software on your phone. That's the new thing.

Apparently, the assholes will tape them over QR codes at restaurants and such.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:30 pm Watch out for fake QR codes designed to get malicious software on your phone. That's the new thing.

Bleck.
Cakedaddy

Scams and such

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:30 pm Watch out for fake QR codes designed to get malicious software on your phone. That's the new thing.

This is NOT new. I've been weary of fake codes forever. I always look for stickers on top of the very rare one that I will scan.
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:46 pm This is NOT new.
You're probably right, but now it's getting press coverage.

Perhaps the method of attack has gotten more effective?
Leisher
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:58 am Gift Cards
Gift cards have been a disaster for years. I'll only get them from online sources. And never via resale. (The only exception is I used to do some stuff on reddit's gift card exchange, but stopped. All those were valid, fortunately.).
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scams and such

Post by TheCatt »

Requested by : HR Department
Position : Director of Human Resources

Dear ,

Kindly use the below excel link to check the staff memo referring to the above subject from HR department regarding low compliance to the Salary Plan for year 2024.

[MYLASTNAME] 2024 Salary Plan and-update.staff-information.robinhood@[MYLASTNAME].com/company/employees.xls .

Please do note that all names highlighted in red are those who are yet to comply to the Salary Plan for 2024.

Names of employees marked in Green color have met all the requirements for the 2024 Salary Plan

Should you have further questions, kindly reply this email.

Thanks & Regards,

[MYLASTNAME] Global HR Team

HR Manager
I used to be pretty diligent about using separate emails for separate accounts. like my ronbinhood@MYLASTNAME.com email address.

Was always helpful to see when companies got hacked. Often I'd find out from spam before they would announce it.