Dell

Leisher
Site Admin

Dell

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dell

Post by TheCatt »

I have a Dell XPS, which has been running too hot, and limiting the CPU. Like hitting 25% and it throttles. I replaced the thermal paste today, and it went from a LOW of 70 Celsius to the mid 40s. It tends to hover higher than that when doing almost anything, but the fact that it ever gets to the 40s is nice. Noticed the watts it's willing to consume, as well as the turbo GHz are much higher as well. It still won't go 100%, but it gets closer. In theory this CPU can take 135 Watts, but I've never seen it get above 100 now. (About 45-50 prior to replacing the paste).

Dell sucks. This laptop cannot run 100% because of how they built it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Dell

Post by GORDON »

They skimp on $.01 of paste and it reduces the thing to half its value? Someone should tell them about that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Dell

Post by Leisher »

Dell's business line is the shit. I've worked with thousands of their desktops, laptops, and servers, and rarely ever have hardware issues.

Their home line is not as impressive, by a long shot. I bought two of their premier XPS desktops years ago. They were "top of the line" gaming rigs and supposed to be worth the money. Nope. Nothing but problems, including overheating issues, them being poorly configured, etc.

I rarely ever hear complaints about Dell, but when I do, the letters XPS are always included.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dell

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:59 pm the letters XPS are always included.
Yeah, XPS 15 supposed performance laptop. It is sadness.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dell

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:10 pm I have a Dell XPS, which has been running too hot, and limiting the CPU. Like hitting 25% and it throttles. I replaced the thermal paste today, and it went from a LOW of 70 Celsius to the mid 40s. It tends to hover higher than that when doing almost anything, but the fact that it ever gets to the 40s is nice. Noticed the watts it's willing to consume, as well as the turbo GHz are much higher as well. It still won't go 100%, but it gets closer. In theory this CPU can take 135 Watts, but I've never seen it get above 100 now. (About 45-50 prior to replacing the paste).

Definitely running dramatically better, but it still cannot hit 100%. A lot of people reduced their CPU voltage to improve things even more, but Dell took that away 12 BIOS versions ago. It made it to around 112.5W out of 135W this morning.

I tried a cooling pad (cheap plastic with some fans) and that barely did anything.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dell

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:45 am
TheCatt wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:10 pm I have a Dell XPS, which has been running too hot, and limiting the CPU. Like hitting 25% and it throttles. I replaced the thermal paste today, and it went from a LOW of 70 Celsius to the mid 40s. It tends to hover higher than that when doing almost anything, but the fact that it ever gets to the 40s is nice. Noticed the watts it's willing to consume, as well as the turbo GHz are much higher as well. It still won't go 100%, but it gets closer. In theory this CPU can take 135 Watts, but I've never seen it get above 100 now. (About 45-50 prior to replacing the paste).

Definitely running dramatically better, but it still cannot hit 100%. A lot of people reduced their CPU voltage to improve things even more, but Dell took that away 12 BIOS versions ago. It made it to around 112.5W out of 135W this morning.

I tried a cooling pad (cheap plastic with some fans) and that barely did anything.
This laptop is dumb. Intel advertises a TDP or 45 watts. OK, that's not so bad, surely this laptop can cool that. But, it turns out, under max power (turbo frequencies), it can consume 135 Watts. Wtf? That's triple the TDP. I can only imagine the beast of a laptop you'd need to dissipate that much heat. I've seen mine peak at 112.5 Watts since the change (but only briefly).

Lesson learned for next one.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dell

Post by Leisher »

That sucks.

Seriously, I don't know why Dell even keeps making any of their XPS line.

Buy a business laptop, you won't have any issues.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dell

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:01 pm That sucks.

Seriously, I don't know why Dell even keeps making any of their XPS line.

Buy a business laptop, you won't have any issues.
Apparently I should have bought an Alienware according to reddit. will try that next time. I also emailed "Michael Dell" so we'll see if anything happens.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dell

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:05 pm I also emailed "Michael Dell" so we'll see if anything happens.
Copycat.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dell

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:49 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:05 pm I also emailed "Michael Dell" so we'll see if anything happens.
Copycat.
Turns out Michael Dell is Indian.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dell

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, when I wrote him I got a return from an underling as well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dell

Post by TheCatt »

Dell thermal expert - tldw - "It's hard so we gave up"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dell

Post by TheCatt »

I found that guy on LinkedIn, and was tempted to msg him, but refrained.