Today in data breaches

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Because it needs its own thread...

Panera Bread.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Good news for Cake!
That fucking information should be on a readily available public look-up.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote: Good news for Cake!
That fucking information should be on a readily available public look-up.
That's actually an interesting question. But to avoid derailing this thread, I'm going to take it elsewhere...

I do find it curious and pretty responsible that Grindr apparently even asked that question.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

I get the privacy angle, but when it comes to life-altering diseases, if you plan on engaging in behavior that could spread then, then there needs to be a public database with a cell phone app. Not registered? Then no one is going to fuck you.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I get the privacy angle, but when it comes to life-altering diseases, if you plan on engaging in behavior that could spread then, then there needs to be a public database with a cell phone app. Not registered? Then no one is going to fuck you.
If people want to fuck stupidly, then they fuck stupidly.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I get the privacy angle, but when it comes to life-altering diseases, if you plan on engaging in behavior that could spread then, then there needs to be a public database with a cell phone app. Not registered? Then no one is going to fuck you.
If people want to fuck stupidly, then they fuck stupidly.
There's that. I can appreciate that. But as a person who is going to be "out there," it is my observation that everybody lies, and I'd prefer a std app over taking their word for it.

And I bet the ladies would appreciate a vasectomy verification app.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

Thank goodness no one has shopped there for a couple years.
Cakedaddy

Today in data breaches

Post by Cakedaddy »

I have started shopping there again. Since I have to pay tax at Amazon, and Best Buy matches Amazon, I buy at Best Buy for the reward points.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: I have started shopping there again. Since I have to pay tax at Amazon, and Best Buy matches Amazon, I buy at Best Buy for the reward points.
Ditto.
At this point, the only guy on the internet that I trust with my personal data is that Nigerian Prince. - Dennis Miller
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

I stopped using them a few years ago.... they were getting squirrelly with using 3rd party vendors, when you thought you were dealing with newegg. Plus sales tax. Plus amazon matching their prices. Plus they lost my customer history data that went back over a decade.
Cakedaddy

Today in data breaches

Post by Cakedaddy »

I've never paid tax with Newegg. But I also only buy from Newegg and not their third party. Hell, I even avoid non-Amazon fulfilled items. They still have all my purchase history.

And I JUST bought something from them two days ago!! But I used Paypal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Massive data dump reveals tens of millions of email addresses and passwords.

Site that claims to tell you if your email address has been compromised.

I always worry about those sites, but I did test it with real and not real accounts. Every single real account had been "pwned", whatever that means. Only 1 had been "pasted". Again, whatever that means.

One for passwords.

Does "pwned" mean your email is simply "known" to the world of hackers and spammers and whatnot?

Oh...I think I'm seeing that it is a list of emails recovered from data breaches. Thus, your email, if "pwned", was in those lists. Interesting.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Ah, a "paste" is really what you should be concerned about. That's where your info was actually put "into the wild" for hackers and whatnot.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Does "pwned" mean your email is simply "known" to the world of hackers and spammers and whatnot?
Just, just means your data has been exposed. But maybe some username/pw you used 10 years ago that you (hopefully) dont use anywhere else.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Today in data breaches

Post by Cakedaddy »

What is a 'compromised' email address? To me, email addresses are like phone numbers. Easily guessed/faked/etc. Just like a robo caller eventually dialing your number, they will also send you an email. I mean, that's why we have spam filters.

As far as passwords, one of mine was used 300+ times. Another 32 times, and on 2 times. And those are my junk passwords that I use for stuff that doesn't really matter. Honestly, with the billions of passwords out there, I expected a higher number of other occurrences out there.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: What is a 'compromised' email address? To me, email addresses are like phone numbers. Easily guessed/faked/etc. Just like a robo caller eventually dialing your number, they will also send you an email. I mean, that's why we have spam filters.
Basically, yes.

That's why the "paste" is a much bigger deal. It indicates there was a reason to put your info out to where it could be used. Of course, that could just be for spam I suppose...?