Today in data breaches

TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:27 pm That's behind a paywall.
weird. you might be able to google it as "ft ransomware game"

Worked for me that way
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

I had to pay $800K.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:59 pm I had to pay $800K.
Did you get fired?
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

No, they were pretty happy with me and I remained on as CEO or whatever.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

MGM gets shut down.

How'd they do it?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Social engineering man. One nice thing about my company: We're still small, and everyone except the SWE team works in one place. Far less likely to fall for this stuff.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

SMBs definitely have a huge advantage in this area.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:52 am SMBs definitely have a huge advantage in this area.
We've been getting the "I need to change my payroll information" emails, and, they are obviously fake - But the COO can just yell "Hey, Bob, you send this?" "No" The end.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:57 am
Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:52 am SMBs definitely have a huge advantage in this area.
We've been getting the "I need to change my payroll information" emails, and, they are obviously fake - But the COO can just yell "Hey, Bob, you send this?" "No" The end.
Can you fish them in reverse, get some identifying info, and turn them in?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:06 am
TheCatt wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:57 am
Can you fish them in reverse, get some identifying info, and turn them in?
I wish. If they're half-smart, they're 1) international and 2) using VPNs.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

Can you send the phone spiders?

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Transunion. The most insidious part of these hacks isn't the actual hacker, it's the company not telling employees, vendors, and customers their PI has been compromised.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Sony again.

Did I mention the stat I saw on T-Mobile? How many times do you think they've been hacked since 2018?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:53 pm How many times do you think they've been hacked since 2018?
Google: # of days since 2018
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:34 am
Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:53 pm How many times do you think they've been hacked since 2018?
Google: # of days since 2018
That's funny.

It's 8 times. 8 fucking times for a big corporation!

1. At some point it would really be great if those worthless bags of mostly water in DC would start treating hacks seriously. This is not a D or R thing. Resolving this should have bipartisan support, and Wall St support.
2. Can any IT department really protect themselves? Is anyone "hack proof"?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:06 am 2. Can any IT department really protect themselves? Is anyone "hack proof"?
I figure it's like secrets. 3 people can keep a company secure, if 2 of them are dead.

Social engineering is harder with fewer people. And that's a primary vector.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

Air gap everything so in order to access data you need an air duct, pulleys, and Tom Cruise.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:32 pm Air gap everything so in order to access data you need an air duct, pulleys, and Tom Cruise.
Good thing we can't clone Tom Cruise... yet.