Today in data breaches

TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

External emails should be yellow or red by default. Like “dont trust this” by default
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

That's what happens when your VPN doesn't have MFA.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Linked In

Ngl, I wanna know what my "inferred salary" is.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Hackers keep winning, infect > 1000 companies in a single hack.

In unrelated news, I might go buy a large water cistern. Any advice on rifles? :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Governments around the world...including Russia and China...need to recognize that this stuff needs to be stopped immediately. It is honestly a great example of how ineffective and powerless they really are if they allow it to keep happening.

"Don't fuck with the money."

Anything sanctioned by a government MUST be treated as an act of war and recognized as such by the UN.

Anything not sanctioned by a government should be pursued and litigated in the same way as pirates.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by GORDON »

Well... it's like spies. Every government has them, none of them admit it, and most get abandoned if caught.

You pay a hacker group $X to focus efforts an an enemy state (or even just immunity for other misdeeds), and they go to town with no official government sanction.

Kinda like the Privateers in the 1700s.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:00 am Governments around the world...including Russia and China...need to recognize that this stuff needs to be stopped immediately.
Why would they think that?

They get to harass the US for free.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:59 am
Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:00 am Governments around the world...including Russia and China...need to recognize that this stuff needs to be stopped immediately.
Why would they think that?

They get to harass the US for free.
Because if it's happening here, imagine what damage will be done when these people turn their sights inward. It WILL happen. Just a matter of time.

The entire world knows the majority of these attacks come from China and Russia. Two massive countries with oppressive governments. Nobody would have an easier time stopping this stuff if they wanted to...which is why they should be treated as acts of war.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:39 pm Because if it's happening here, imagine what damage will be done when these people turn their sights inward. It WILL happen. Just a matter of time.
Why would those hackers want to die?
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:18 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:39 pm Because if it's happening here, imagine what damage will be done when these people turn their sights inward. It WILL happen. Just a matter of time.
Need/desire for money has always made people risk death.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:57 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:18 pm
Need/desire for money has always made people risk death.
If their current cash cow ran out, maybe.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:51 pm Hackers keep winning, infect > 1000 companies in a single hack.

In unrelated news, I might go buy a large water cistern. Any advice on rifles? :)
The company that was hacked probably knew it was vulnerable.
This wasn't the first time Kaseya faced security issues, either. The company's software was reportedly used to launch ransomware at least twice between 2018 and 2019, and it didn't significantly rethink its security strategy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:20 pm
TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:51 pm Hackers keep winning, infect > 1000 companies in a single hack.

The company that was hacked probably knew it was vulnerable.
This wasn't the first time Kaseya faced security issues, either. The company's software was reportedly used to launch ransomware at least twice between 2018 and 2019, and it didn't significantly rethink its security strategy.
They have a decryptor key from a 3rd party.

An un-named 3rd party...
REvil subsequently demanded $70 million in exchange for a universal decryption key to unlock all of the victims’ data.

However, in a surprising twist, the gang then proceeded to disappear from the web. Indeed, less than two weeks after REvil made its ransom demand, nearly all traces of the cybercriminal group vanished from the internet, including its website and payment portal.

Now, somehow, Kaseya says it has managed to get ahold of the universal decryption key, though it hasn’t explicitly said how that happened.

When asked by Gizmodo where the key came from, a Kaseya spokesperson reiterated that it had come from “a trusted third party.” When asked whether the company paid for the key, the spokesperson said that the company could not “comment to your question around payment.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

Accenture

I really wish the U.S. government would start drone striking in retaliation for this shit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by TheCatt »

Unclear to me what got taken i Accenture hack
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »

It was ransomware, so I assume tons of private data. The standard threat is being used that they will release it on the dark web.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in data breaches

Post by Leisher »