Microsoft

Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Officially the world's most valuable company.

Amazing a company can get so big and treat its customers like dogshit.

I still haven't found a rep...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Considering how left for dead MSFT seemed 8-10 years ago, that's pretty impressive.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

It is impressive.

The new dickhead in charge has been auditing the fuck out of customers, which I'm sure helped.

Plus, the Surface line has been curb stomping iPads and iMacs.

I still want a fucking rep though.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, the auditing bit my last company as well, $$$-wise.

I don't quite hate MSFT like I hate Oracle, but I sure don't want to give them more money.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Yeah, the auditing bit my last company as well, $$$-wise.
We passed both with flying colors, but the whole process pissed me off. It was a ton of additional work for me. Just fucking come here with a team. I'll give you full access. Do the audit yourself.

Additionally, when I pass with flying colors, including having extra licenses, don't fucking audit me the following year!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

I was working in the software development department. MSFT had always been pretty generous about licensing for dev, so we had been pretty loose. Then they got super anal about some stuff, so we paid them, then re-architected to get off of MSFTs software within a few years.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, the audits will definitely drive people into the arms of other software providers if they're annoying enough.

I'm now getting audited by Infor.

Yay! What an awesome trend in the IT world...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

So Oracle is charging for JDK/JRE usage in corporate environments. Something like $2.50/month for workstations, $25/month for servers, I think.

Amazon announces Corretto based on OpenJDK for free with extended support as well.

I used it yesterday for the first time in anticipation of being able to avoid Oracle's fees, and it worked perfectly.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Microsoft dumps simple executable files for installing Office in favor of a more complex system.

It really isn't difficult once you go through all the new hoops, but most businesses are SMBs and won't have the techs to pull this off.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Nearing $1T valuation.

Apparently auditing the fuck out of your customers and being impossible to reach is profitable.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Nearing $1T valuation.

Apparently auditing the fuck out of your customers and being impossible to reach is profitable.
AMZN, AAPL, and MSFT all flirting with $1T right now. Which is a little insane since they were at $635B, $670B, and $728B just 4 months ago.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

MS finally agrees that password rotation is dumb.

I remember working once place that had 6 week rotations. Because they wanted to be MORE secure than a 3 month recommendation. /facepalm

Me: All that does is mean people will use a simple password and rotate the # at the end, like Password1, Password2, then roll back to Password 1 eventually.

Them: we'll make it so they can't use the last 20 passwords!

Me: Ok, Password01, Password02....
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Password rotation has always been stupid and causes lots of problems.

Also, I've read in multiple places that the ideal password isn't $h1tL1k3Thi$. It's random words and phrases, like tittyfuck lobster wheels.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Password rotation has always been stupid and causes lots of problems.

Also, I've read in multiple places that the ideal password isn't $h1tL1k3Thi$. It's random words and phrases, like tittyfuck lobster wheels.
I'd argue the latter with a bit of punctuation/numbers though to reduce dictionary/rainbow table attacks. Also, a potential flaw of the latter is the predictability of words chosen by the person.

like gordon picking "ilove cocks in my ass and mouth"
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: like gordon picking "ilove cocks in my ass and mouth"
Why would you post his password for all to see?

Apparently MS did hit $1T today.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

15 years of trying to find a MS employee to visit or call me with zero results.

However, I just received notice that Microsoft wants to audit me for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Big enough to squeeze for more money, but not big enough to acknowledge...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: 15 years of trying to find a MS employee to visit or call me with zero results.

However, I just received notice that Microsoft wants to audit me for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Big enough to squeeze for more money, but not big enough to acknowledge...
lol. I was about to post “just have an unlicensed copy of windows 10 on your network’

Just call them and say “Azure,” they’ll never stop calling you
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Attended a conference yesterday where the speaker had just returned from Microsoft Ignite.

He said their stated future vision and goal is that everyone and every business will log into Azure AD and ALL of their products will be subscription based. Everything will be cloud based. They want to completely eliminate "on premises".

So basically, they want to control everyone and every business' ability to function and their data.

FYI: While the event was sponsored by Microsoft, no Microsoft rep was in attendance. I'm now in year 15 of not being able to speak with an actual MS employee.

What could possibly go wrong with MS' plan to run the world's IT?