Microsoft

GORDON
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by GORDON »

Ask the company to send you to Redmond, and wait in the lobby until someone will see you. Have documentation showing how impossible it's been.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: He said their stated future vision and goal is that everyone and every business will log into Azure AD and ALL of their products will be subscription based. Everything will be cloud based. They want to completely eliminate "on premises".
I mean, it's a vision. How many companies end up matching a given vision? Soooo few.

That being said, networks keep getting faster, on prem matters less and less...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: That being said, networks keep getting faster, on prem matters less and less...
Totally agree with that, but as Michael Dell has stated the Fortune 500 companies are pushing back against "all cloud solutions", subscription based software, and SaaS.

Meanwhile, imagine all the jobs that would be lost in a world where Microsoft is running everyone's network.

It's going to be interesting to watch what happens.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

At my job we have 90% of our stuff in the cloud, and 10% on prem. Cuz their network isn't Google Fiber fast. And even if it were, 1Gb of shared internet speed isn't the same as local files for large files, still.

At my last job, I pushed for 100% of my project to be cloud-based. Why? To save on hardware, and use the right service for the right application and all that, but a strong reason was "Corporate IT sucks balls," and I could control everything in the cloud. I'm sure governance would catch up to me at some point, but hey, I left before that happened :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Some stuff 100% belongs in the cloud. Other stuff 100% doesn't.

In related news, I'm using Outlook 365 right now (seriously, it's on my other monitor), and the numbering feature is straight up busted. In 2019. In fucking Outlook 365. It's doing this:
1. Here's point one.
2. Here's point two.
a. Pretend this and the following sub points are indented.
b. Here's another
c. Here's another
d. And another
e. and another!
6. See what just happened?
a. I'm not making this up.
2. Yep, that just happened.
a. What do you think will happen next?
2. Did you guess that?

Fucking idiots.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Weird. Works fine for me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

I'm guessing you have a different version.

This is through the school.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I'm guessing you have a different version.

Isn't the whole point of the cloud to have the same version?
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: I'm guessing you have a different version.

Isn't the whole point of the cloud to have the same version?
Not necessarily.

A school's Office suite only needs Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint where a business needs Publisher, Visio, and other ones no school would ever need.

Yes, it would make sense for some products and/or organizations, but schools don't give a shit about giving their students a fully featured Outlook.

Point being, is a school going to be paying the same amount per seat that a Fortune 500 company would? Probably not, so MS is going to cut something.
Cakedaddy

Microsoft

Post by Cakedaddy »

Ya, but Outlook should be Outlook. You shouldn't have Outlook Ver 1.6 if you get the Outlook/Excel/Word package and Outlook Ver 1.8 if you include Publisher/Visio/etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Ya, but Outlook should be Outlook. You shouldn't have Outlook Ver 1.6 if you get the Outlook/Excel/Word package and Outlook Ver 1.8 if you include Publisher/Visio/etc.
This guy ITs
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Ya, but Outlook should be Outlook. You shouldn't have Outlook Ver 1.6 if you get the Outlook/Excel/Word package and Outlook Ver 1.8 if you include Publisher/Visio/etc.
Tell Microsoft!
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Surface Neo

Surface Duo

The Neo is cute, but the Duo could theoretically be a game changer. An iPhone killer. However, the fact that it will be using Droid severely hampers it. MS really needs to figure out how to get Windows 10 onto it, which is what they promised when Windows 10 was first announced.

If that happens, bye bye iPhone. Businesses will almost assuredly switch to the Duo for a multitude of reasons.
Cakedaddy

Microsoft

Post by Cakedaddy »

While I like me a big phone, the Duo seems too big for a pocket. Also, no stylus. Why more people don't do what the Note does, is beyond me. The integrated pen is 90% of the reason I carry a note. When they showed the one on the Neo, my first thought was "That will be lost within the first week".

I really like those devices though.

As far as iphone killer. Nah. Nothing will take down that cult.
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: As far as iphone killer. Nah. Nothing will take down that cult.
The iPhone's primary business is businesses. If MS actually pulled their heads out of their ass and developed a seamless experience from desktop/laptop to phone, they would kill the iPhone market.

You know, until Apple make it so Windows 10 could run on iPhones...
Cakedaddy

Microsoft

Post by Cakedaddy »

Strongly disagree. Iphone is business because business people want to be seen carrying an iphone. How many people that currently use Apple products would switch to windows, or anything else, even after you showed then that something else is better for them?

"This is cheaper and it does more."
"I don't care. I want an Apple."

"This phone folds in half and can do so many things."
"Does Kate Spade make a case for it?"

"Not carry an iphone? What would my friends think?"
Leisher
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Strongly disagree. Iphone is business because business people want to be seen carrying an iphone. How many people that currently use Apple products would switch to windows, or anything else, even after you showed then that something else is better for them?
You do understand why most businesses avoid Droids, right? This isn't opinion, it's fact: Droids are unsecure piles of shit. That's why most companies use iPhone and their secured, proprietary OS and store. I have posted at least one article somewhere on this board that's all about exactly that. Businesses prefer iPhones.

Your opinion based argument IS legit for some users, but not as powerful for business customers as you believe.

If a Windows phone is more efficient and cheaper overall for business users, their IT departments will tell them to stick their Kate Spade cases up their ass because they're getting a Duo.
GORDON
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by GORDON »

The Edge browser was a flop, but I used it as a quick and easy e-book reader, when I was tweaking the format of the e-books I was generating.

Then yesterday it's not working.

Microsoft removed that functionality from Edge so their 3rd-party partners can give me their e-book readers instead. Good thinking, microsfot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ep-reading
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Microsoft

Post by TheCatt »

People who remove functionality can eat dick.