Google/Alphabet

GORDON
Site Admin

Google

Post by GORDON »

Oh, I see.

When I migrated to a new phone (Pixel 2 --> Pixel 4a), I didn't have a SIM card... everything just restored from my google account. Apps reloaded and were even in the exact same real estate as how I had them grouped/clustered on my old phone.

I don't recall............... if everything was already signed in, or not.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 pm Oh, I see.

When I migrated to a new phone (Pixel 2 --> Pixel 4a), I didn't have a SIM card... everything just restored from my google account. Apps reloaded and were even in the exact same real estate as how I had them grouped/clustered on my old phone.

I don't recall............... if everything was already signed in, or not.
I'd say about 20 apps were not signed in. All the google ones were, obviously. Then about 10 other apps were signed in. And of course, have to move all the TFA app stuff over.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 pm I wish all my accounts moved over and autologged in when i migrate to a new phone. i have to do like 20 manually each time.
Holy shit, Apple actually does something technologically better than Google?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:28 am
TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 pm I wish all my accounts moved over and autologged in when i migrate to a new phone. i have to do like 20 manually each time.
Holy shit, Apple actually does something technologically better than Google?
Yeah. That and tablet + (probably) phone hardware.

The amazing part is that they do a software thing well.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

Google adapting to hybrid workforce.

Very positive move, and one I endorse completely. Hopefully this leads to a corporate America with a less stressed workforce.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Google

Post by GORDON »

Good for San Fran housing prices. Or bad, depending on your perspective. Less demand.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

Pixel 6 confirms Google made processor.
But perhaps the most impressive demo I saw was when Osterloh played a video of someone giving a presentation in French. Despite taking six years of French in middle and high school, understanding more than a random phrase or two was way above my level. However, with a couple of quick taps, Osterloh was not only able to turn on live captions, he also enabled live translation, allowing the Pixel 6 to convert the recording from French to English in real time. Google’s Live Caption and Interpreter Mode features have been available for some time on various devices, but they’ve never been available for use at the same time on a phone, simply because previous chips couldn’t deliver the kind of AI and machine learning performance to support them.
It'll be interesting to see how this actually performs.
GORDON
Site Admin

Google

Post by GORDON »

Universal translators.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:36 pm Actually cares about its employees.
Ours is delayed until at least Oct 15th, and will be revisited then.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

Pixel 6 getting solid reviews and only a $599 price.

Pro is $300 more (!!!)... trying to figure out if I can wait to see if there'll be a discount.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:23 am I considered buying a Google network 3-pack, but I cannot decide between that and the Orbi.
Back in the day, we went for google wifi, then nest wifi. Nest decided it would randomly go down to 1Mbps up/down about weekly.

Got annoyed, bought an Orbi with Wifi 6. It's nice, and it's fast. Setup sucked balls cuz it kept breaking. Finally I got it far enough to update the firmware, and it all went fine. Very fast. Interestingly enough, it FEELS faster using my browser and stuff. Makes me wonder what extra little bit of latency I was getting from the nest.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:40 am TikTok is more popular than Google.
Well, there goes society.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:44 am
Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:40 am TikTok is more popular than Google.
Well, there goes society.
Right?

If I had a nickel for every time I hear "I saw it on TikTok" when I ask a friend or family member where they heard __________, I'd already be richer than Gates.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Google

Post by GORDON »

Anyone have any experience integrating cameras with your Google Home system? Looks like the official Nest cams are really expensive, and a bunch of knockoffs that claim to work in the google ecosystem are really cheap.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:46 pm Anyone have any experience integrating cameras with your Google Home system? Looks like the official Nest cams are really expensive, and a bunch of knockoffs that claim to work in the google ecosystem are really cheap.
We have tried Arlo + google. Both of the camera systems are a bit slow to work, imho. Like "Hey google, show me the front door" (wait like half a minute) "Here it is"
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:17 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:11 pm Stadia as a video game service is dead.
Officially shutting down in Jan 2023.
Google can never be trusted.