Verizon

Leisher
Site Admin

Verizon

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Verizon FiOS

Post by TheCatt »

It's amazing to think I can get 1Gbs now... when I grew up with 300bps and 1.2kbs service.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Verizon FiOS

Post by Vince »

We had this (not gigabit, but standard) in some of our stores when I was at Autozone. Was a reliable service, however if there was ever a billing issue it wasn't "oh, this is late (though often it was a screw up in their system) and now that we have this straightened out we will re-enable the service", it was "Oh, we're showing this bill wasn't paid (now I see that it was). Sorry but we'll have to schedule getting your service reinstalled".

So we'd have stores down for about a week, often due to their screwup.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Verizon FiOS

Post by Leisher »

For their new ad campaign, do they intentionally want to come off as smug and pretentious?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Verizon FiOS

Post by Leisher »

Launching home 5G network.
Verizon is promising home broadband speeds ranging from 300 megabits per second to 1 gigabit per second, or fast enough to download a Blu-ray movie in minutes. The carriers are aiming for peak speeds on the mobile side to far exceed that 1Gbps mark.

Verizon is rolling out the red carpet for early takers. Its "First on 5G" customers will get free installation, as well as three months of free service. Customers will also get a free Chromecast or Apple TV 4K, as well as three months of YouTube TV for free. They'll also get priority in purchasing the first 5G mobile device. You don't need to be in the launch markets to be a "First on 5G" member.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Verizon FiOS

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder what actual throughput, latency, and bandwidth limits will be. But it's nice to see wireless able to compete.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Verizon FiOS

Post by GORDON »

Oh cool, Verizon users can hit their monthly data cap in like 5 seconds, now.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Verizon FiOS

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Verizon is promising home broadband speeds ranging from 300 megabits per second to 1 gigabit per second

That's 4G you assholes. As I've pointed out before, current 4G is nowhere near where the standard says it should be. 4G is rated at 100mbps - 1gbps.
The ITU-R set standards for 4G connectivity in March of 2008, requiring all services described as 4G to adhere to a set of speed and connection standards. For mobile use, including smartphones and tablets, connection speeds need to have a peak of at least 100 megabits per second, and for more stationary uses such as mobile hotspots, at least 1 gigabit per second.
As it stands, most of the time when your phone displays the “4G” symbol in the upper right corner, it doesn’t really mean it. When the ITU-R set the minimum speeds for 4G, they were a bit unreachable, despite the amount of money tech manufacturers put into achieving them. In response, the regulating body decided that LTE, the name given to the technology used in pursuit of those standards, could be labeled as 4G if it provided a substantial improvement over the 3G technology.
For 5G:
The ITU IMT-2020 standard provides for speeds up to 20 gigabits per second
So, their 5G will finally be 4G. Which is nowhere near 5G. Either the ITU needs to slow their roll with their specs, or someone needs to smack the providers for lying about what they are providing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Verizon FiOS

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: or someone needs to smack the providers for lying about what they are providing.
This seems the logical move.

In related news, my local ISP, from which I have the highest speed plan, has changed my plan speed from 100 to 200 to now 400 in a matter of 3 months.
Leisher
Site Admin

Verizon

Post by Leisher »

Sells Yahoo and AOL.

Looks like at a $4B loss.