Amazon

Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Fake and dangerous products trending on Amazon.

Third party sellers are becoming a massive problem for Amazon.

Pretty sure I've already posted about them being directly responsible for unsafe working conditions overseas in the manufacture of products that has Amazon at odds with essentially the rest of the retail world. They've also been selling banned and unsafe items, which is what's being spotlighted here.

Amazon is going to have to do something about it despite these people representing a pretty big percentage of Amazon's annual sales.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Amazon is going to have to do something about it despite these people representing a pretty big percentage of Amazon's annual sales.
Yes. I only buy when Amazon itself is selling shit, now.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

I don't consider Target Amazon's largest competitor. I think that's Walmart.

I have a rant about toys, but that's for a different thread at a different time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Saudi Arabia's a good "guilty until proven innocent" target.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Remember the stuff I posted about Amazon's third party sellers selling banned items and other shody shit? Remember how 1400 garment workers in Malaysia were killed making cheap shit for an Amazon third party seller?

Ginormous ruling expected today about whether or not Amazon can be held responsible for those products.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

On the one hand, I don't think Amazon should be liable. On the other hand, I think it should be SUPER FUCKING CLEAR when you're not buying from Amazon, and it's not.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: I first went to reInvent in 2015, which was their 5th conference, iirc. 19k people. 32k, 40k, 51k followed.

This year, 65,000 people. It's a little insane how busy it is.
Well, this year will be virtual, so my annual excuse to Vegas is gone.
thibodeaux

Amazon

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I first went to reInvent in 2015, which was their 5th conference, iirc. 19k people. 32k, 40k, 51k followed.

This year, 65,000 people. It's a little insane how busy it is.
Well, this year will be virtual, so my annual excuse to Vegas is gone.
Yeah kinda sad :(
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

This is an awesome example of "unintended consequences."

Amazon used to have a handful of central warehouses, so they wouldn't have to charge state sales tax, according to laws of the time. This is how they could be compettitve with a 3-4 day delivery time, versus local brick and mortar.

Local brick and mortar lobbied and whined and cried until they got the Amazon Taqx, so amazon got charged sales tax anyway.

So "fuck it," amazon said. "If we're going to be charged sales tax anyway, we might as well have presence in every state. We'll put the local brick and mortar out of business by being the biggest kid on the block, and kill them with our bulk pricing."

Same result, but there are fewer jobs available at local brick and mortar stores, and we all pay that extra tax, now. Good for more roads or something.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

Amazon

Post by Cakedaddy »

Meh. I'd say a weak swing. It barely competes with Amazon at a pretty comparable price.

You get free shipping from Amazon over $35 without a membership.
SOME things might ship quicker.
No entertainment.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Meh. I'd say a weak swing. It barely competes with Amazon at a pretty comparable price.

You get free shipping from Amazon over $35 without a membership.
SOME things might ship quicker.
No entertainment.
^^^
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

I have no issue with calling it weak. It is still a swing.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Regarding Walmart's "online ordering" for the grocery store, competing with the other grocery stores, I heard Walmart's offering was weak. It took a lot longer for your order to be ready compared to the others, and there was a small error rate. Maybe it's gotten better since launch.

I would expect the same here. You'll get the "Walmart level" of quality, compared to the competitors.

That being said, my local Walmart is an excellent grocery s\tore. I've heard other people bagging on their local walmart, citing rotten vegetables and empty shelves, but I've never seen anything less than an immaculate store at my location (well away from the inner-city, dot dot dot).
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: You'll get the "Walmart level" of quality, compared to the competitors.
We have a Walmart grocery < 1 mile away. We tend to avoid it, because we live in practically the supermarket capital of the world, though. Cuz it's routinely the worst.