Amazon

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: At virtual AWS reinvent this year. They're having a poker session with Daniel Negreanu that I'm in. So I'm pretty much a professional now.
I really enjoy watching him play. Seems extremely personable and is a genius at figuring out your cards.
He gave a nice pre-game speech. I got 91st/300 people.

But I got 2nd out of 400 in trivia!

One of the 2 questions I missed, which I'm a little bitter about, was "What was the first English novel?" It was multiple choice: Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare's works, Robinson Crusoe, and something else.

I picked Canterbury Tales. The answer was RC, but apparently it's debated. They didn't specify modern English, either, in the question.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

I would have assumed Shakespeare's works were a red herring, but I wouldn't have gotten that right unless I guessed.

Congrats on 2nd place! What did you win?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Congrats on 2nd place! What did you win?
I don't know. It's just swag though, so nothing too fancy I assume.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Gives up on this attempt to remake healthcare.
Haven, the joint venture formed by three of America’s most powerful companies to lower costs and improve outcomes in health care, is disbanding after three years, CNBC has learned exclusively.

The company began informing employees Monday that it will shut down by the end of next month, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.

Many of the Boston-based firm’s 57 workers are expected to be placed at Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway or JPMorgan Chase as the firms each individually push forward in their efforts, and the three companies are still expected to collaborate informally on healthcare projects, the people said.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Amazon air.

Just cargo apparently, but soon all airlines will be Amazon! :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Returning items to Amazon is like roulette.
We are processing your replacement. You don't need to return the original item back to us!
Some days you just get to keep the item, sometimes you have to send it back. The other day we had a pantry order for about $75 of stuff. The laundry detergent in it broke and spilled over everything including soaking the box (yet someone still delivered it). They wanted us to repackage it all and send it back. I told them to (politely) go fuck themselves. They eventually relented and just gave us a credit for everything.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:49 pm Bezos stepping down as CEO.
Andy Jassy seems like a good guy to takeover. He's been running AWS for(ever?) a while, and I've seen him speak each year at the reInvent conference.
thibodeaux

Amazon

Post by thibodeaux »

Jassy promises to have a cool DJ or cover band perform during all future AMZN quarterly calls.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:42 am Jassy promises to have a cool DJ or cover band perform during all future AMZN quarterly calls.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Biden supports Amazon workers unionizing.

I wasn't aware they were actually going to be voting on it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Too bad amazon didn't take care of their workers well enough to keep that from happening. Now there's going to be a stupid union middleman fee attached to all of our amazon purchases.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

I will find it very interesting to see if an Amazon union demands Amazon start doing business overseas the same as other major retailers like Walmart. That being, refusing to work with companies that aren't paying appropriately or providing safe workplaces.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

FUCK!

We missed our chance!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:25 am FUCK!

We missed our chance!
Dammit. We'll just have to get her to contribute to our Human Fund with her philanthrophy.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm Union vote fails.
I'm sure it will spawn 1,000 lawsuits.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

We've had a strangely large # of delayed/lost/damaged shipments since the pandemic started. Used to be a once every quarter thing, now it's been about once a month. Although, we're probably ordering more things. Just happened again after happening 3 weeks ago. (and we were on vacation for 2 weeks in between)
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Biggest problem I've had with amazon is related to GPU shortages.

Bought PC with rtx 2060 video card for my kid, who has been without a pc for a while. 1600 was a good price for the whole system, I thought. Well, what got shipped to him was about 2 classes down, the one listed for $900. Clearly unacceptable.

Returned it, tried again. Different model pc, $1700, contained rtx 2060. This one arrived with a card with physical damage, like the card itself had been dented at some point. Pc wouldn't turn on. Clearly it didn't pass a bench test, but I guess they shipped it anyway in hopes we'd just accept it. But no.

It was then I researched and learned of the gpu shortage, and the cards alone in these systems were listing for $1100+. They were still selling the systems and hoping to get away with it.

After the second major return, amazon emailed me and asked wassup. That was when I had the email issues described elsewhere, but I eventually told them this bait and switch stuff was kinda bullshit.

Ultimately, ordered an HP high performance system... No pretty LED lights, but the 2600 card, I7 10700 cpu, 1 tb ssd, etc.... For $1300. I ordered with "1 left in stock." Got the confirmation. Immediately after went to get a link to show my kid, and the same pc was now "4 left in stock for 1600." So, ultimately got a good deal
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

But these sellers are going full scam. Beware.