Amazon

Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Amazon Basics products are dangerous.

What a shock.

Amazon refuses to stop working with third world factories like the one in Malaysia that collapsed killing over 1000 people. Amazon also refuses to do anything to stop third party sellers from selling known defective and harmful products. (For my source here, go back several pages in this thread. I linked an article from Forbes or something about Amazon's unethical practices.)

In other Amazon news, the distribution facility they just opened near my office is hiring and offering $30K signing bonuses.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Amazon used to be pretty decent when shipments fucked up. Now, the best you can seem to hope for is $5 credit.

I had a delivery that was supposed to arrive 2 days ago. Complained that day, and they said "We will mark it priority to be delivered as fast as possible! Here's a $5 credit"

So the next day it says "Cannot be delivered," so I contact them again. "What is your phone # so you can contact the shipping company?" Me: "Wtf?" Amazon: We need your cell phone number. Me: The hell you do. You are in charge of shipping not me. (5 minutes later) Amazon: The shipment got soaked, we will replace the order Me: OK Amazon: What is your phone number so they can contact you? Me: WTF?
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Amazon used to be pretty decent when shipments fucked up. Now, the best you can seem to hope for is $5 credit.

I had a delivery that was supposed to arrive 2 days ago. Complained that day, and they said "We will mark it priority to be delivered as fast as possible! Here's a $5 credit"

So the next day it says "Cannot be delivered," so I contact them again. "What is your phone # so you can contact the shipping company?" Me: "Wtf?" Amazon: We need your cell phone number. Me: The hell you do. You are in charge of shipping not me. (5 minutes later) Amazon: The shipment got soaked, we will replace the order Me: OK Amazon: What is your phone number so they can contact you? Me: WTF?
The replacement package, to replace the package they fucked up the first time, is also fucked up now. The front line people are only authorized to give a $5 credit. The second line people can give you $10 (I dunno if more, I gave up).

First line person: Is there any landmark or identifying location near your house we can use for delivery?

Me: Amazon has been delivering here like every other day for the past 10 years. But there's a bright shiny 118, which, you know, is the street address.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Shitty, lazy driver covering your neighborhood this week?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Amazon

Post by Cakedaddy »

Wife HATES Amazon any more. So many reports of counterfeit goods being sold/shipped. Quality of goods is way down, etc. Walmart, for years, has sold sub par stuff. As in, they force manufacturers to give them a lower price, so they can sell for less than everyone else. The manufacturer would then lower their production quality to meet the lower price. One simple example would be rubbermade totes. The tote you buy at walmart will have thinner walls than the same tote bought elsewhere. Same thing was happening with TVs, etc. Now it seems Amazon is in that market. The items you get via Amazon are of a lessor quality than items elsewhere, but lead you to believe you are buying the exact same product. You can't trust Amazon any more.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Shitty, lazy driver covering your neighborhood this week?
I have no idea, it doesn't appear to even be making it to the driver, per the status updates. But Amazon told me on order #1 that there was a delivery error, but then told me "The package got soaked with water." But then still asked me how to make the delivery easier. So I just assume the CSRs are retarted.
That being said, we've gotten all our other packages this week, just not this one.
Cakedaddy wrote: Wife HATES Amazon any more. So many reports of counterfeit goods being sold/shipped. Quality of goods is way down, etc.
We make sure stuff is only sold by Amazon, not the 3rd party things. But yeah, the Walmart-spec goods are happening to Amazon, too, in some areas.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wife HATES Amazon any more. So many reports of counterfeit goods being sold/shipped. Quality of goods is way down, etc. Walmart, for years, has sold sub par stuff. As in, they force manufacturers to give them a lower price, so they can sell for less than everyone else. The manufacturer would then lower their production quality to meet the lower price. One simple example would be rubbermade totes. The tote you buy at walmart will have thinner walls than the same tote bought elsewhere. Same thing was happening with TVs, etc. Now it seems Amazon is in that market. The items you get via Amazon are of a lessor quality than items elsewhere, but lead you to believe you are buying the exact same product. You can't trust Amazon any more.
There's been pressure on amazon to clearly label chinese sellers. Don't know what's happening with it.
I have no idea, it doesn't appear to even be making it to the driver, per the status updates. But Amazon told me on order #1 that there was a delivery error, but then told me "The package got soaked with water." But then still asked me how to make the delivery easier. So I just assume the CSRs are retarted.
That being said, we've gotten all our other packages this week, just not this one.
The only problem I've had lately, aside from a chinese webcam taking 4 months to deliver, was I ordered a small package of pure stevia, again. 3rd or 4th i've gotten. It said it shipped, and I had just noticed it hadn't arrived in a week when I got a "your requested refund was processed" email. I never received it, nor requested a refund. Ordered it again, and it was here in 2 days. No idea what happened, there.
Cakedaddy

Amazon

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: We make sure stuff is only sold by Amazon, not the 3rd party things.
I wish that meant you were safe! I still buy from Amazon, but it's with nowhere near the confidence that I used to.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote:
TheCatt wrote: We make sure stuff is only sold by Amazon, not the 3rd party things.
I wish that meant you were safe! I still buy from Amazon, but it's with nowhere near the confidence that I used to.
We have not had any quality issues, yet.

But holy fuck they just canceled 5 of my orders because Amazon "sent them to the wrong fulfillment facility"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
But holy fuck they just canceled 5 of my orders because Amazon "sent them to the wrong fulfillment facility"
They sent these packages to the same facility ALL of my packages have been going through. And it's Amazon's facility.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
They sent these packages to the same facility ALL of my packages have been going through. And it's Amazon's facility.
So far they have given me $20 of credits, and refunded me the $26.79 cost of the item, but are still, supposedly, sending it to me.

We'll find our tomorrow, i guess.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Cakedaddy wrote:Walmart, for years, has sold sub par stuff. As in, they force manufacturers to give them a lower price, so they can sell for less than everyone else. The manufacturer would then lower their production quality to meet the lower price.
Maybe my chili sauce is getting all runny with a higher water content because if was produced for distribution to walmart....
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Walmart, for years, has sold sub par stuff. As in, they force manufacturers to give them a lower price, so they can sell for less than everyone else. The manufacturer would then lower their production quality to meet the lower price.
This is not exclusive to Walmart.

Everyone does this, and manufacturers don't need to be pressured by their distributers either. Go take a walk in the toy aisle of any store and marvel at the cheap shit they make these days. It's garbage.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Amazon

Post by Cakedaddy »

GORDON wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote:Walmart, for years, has sold sub par stuff. As in, they force manufacturers to give them a lower price, so they can sell for less than everyone else. The manufacturer would then lower their production quality to meet the lower price.
Maybe my chili sauce is getting all runny with a higher water content because if was produced for distribution to walmart....
I would buy one can from Walmart and one can from Kroger and see if there's a difference.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
So far they have given me $20 of credits, and refunded me the $26.79 cost of the item, but are still, supposedly, sending it to me.

We'll find our tomorrow, i guess.
Well, all 5 items arrived, including the one that was double-canceled, and they are refunding all of them. So $20 of credits + $87 of items. But at least stuff's arriving now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

When an Amazon Prime Video user buys content on the platform, what they're really paying for is a limited license for “on-demand viewing over an indefinite period of time” and they're warned of that in the company's terms of use.
Oh yeah, because anyone reads that shit. BS.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

If they refunded the cost, I'd have no problem with it.

But they don't. So I have a problem with it. And this is one of my exact arguments way back when I used to defend my physical media library.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

At virtual AWS reinvent this year. They're having a poker session with Daniel Negreanu that I'm in. So I'm pretty much a professional now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: At virtual AWS reinvent this year. They're having a poker session with Daniel Negreanu that I'm in. So I'm pretty much a professional now.
I really enjoy watching him play. Seems extremely personable and is a genius at figuring out your cards.