Amazon

Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Amazon Go test store launching in Seattle.

They're actually just eliminating the cashiers and self-scanners. So no lines at checkout.

I wonder how they'll do the produce? If Amazon is trying it, can Kroger and all the other grocery stores be far behind?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Amazon Go

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:Test store launching in Seattle.

They're actually just eliminating the cashiers and self-scanners. So no lines at checkout.

I wonder how they'll do the produce? If Amazon is trying it, can Kroger and all the other grocery stores be far behind?
With the potential this would have to completely eliminate shoplifting, maybe grocers could start opening up in shitty neighborhoods, again.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote:Test store launching in Seattle.

With the potential this would have to completely eliminate shoplifting, maybe grocers could start opening up in shitty neighborhoods, again.
They would just rob people leaving the store. :D

Seriously though, I wonder if shoplifting would increase initially? Cameras, but no security? The real test of this would have to come later. Do they use facial recognition software to identify folks and then go arrest them? Why aren't they already doing this with identity thieves?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Maybe, like Costco, you can't walk into the store unless you yourself are a chipped member?

But yeah, I can see that I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe have the doors lock if someone is walking out with RFIDd merch that isn't paid for.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Another thing to keep in mind is that Seattle is one of the cities with a $15 hr minimum wage I believe. So it's more economically feasible there than in normal cities.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon Go

Post by GORDON »

I may have found a flaw in Amazon's order history page.

I was looking to repeat-purchase a set of ear buds I bought at some point in the past.... I thought 2016, but couldn't find them in either 2016 nor 2015's order history.

Finally I found the link in one of the dtman fitness threads where I reviewed them, and clicked it, and it said I ordered them January 1, 2016. The order history page is not displaying them... it isn't showing an order on the first day of the year. I wonder if I ordered them before midnight, it processed after midnight, now there is a disconnect on the order history page.

Or something.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Only if I already had security cameras everywhere.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Only if I already had security cameras everywhere.
So you can watch the masked intruders who hacked Amazon Key steal your shit?
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: Only if I already had security cameras everywhere.
So you can watch the masked intruders who hacked Amazon Key steal your shit?
The idea being that you can then sue amazon, with proof their agents robbed you. Key hacked? So they say. They have amazon credentials, then they are amazon agents.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

It comes with a camera.

We already have two cameras. This isn't a terrible idea. Part of the reason we have the front door camera is someone stole a package off of our front porch (it was construction paper for the kids, I'm guessing the thief was hoping for a tablet or something more fun). The person opened it and discarded it 3 houses down from us, in someone's front yard. So we still recovered it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

Thieves are scum.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Thieves are scum.
Agreed.

I'd give a pass to someone stealing food to feed their starving family. However, all other thieves can go fuck themselves.

I honestly think the death penalty should be considered for thieves over the age of 30. You're old enough to show that you'll never accomplish anything good, so removing you from the ecosystem is a win.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

I'd listen to arguments pro and con death penalty for thieves, but right now, today, I would erect public stocks in every town so people can throw rotten vegetables at convicted thieves while they hang there shitting themselves for 3 straight days.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Order now and get a bonus package for free!

Read until the end. I'll bet Amazon cracks down hard on third parties.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Only for month to month people.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

For now.
thibodeaux

Amazon

Post by thibodeaux »

So, the RTP area was on the "short list" of possible locations for the new Amazon HQ2. Like most towns, we have a local left-of-Lenin "alternative" alt/indy/underground free newspaper. They did a cover story about this, subtitled: "but do we want the damn thing?" I actually have to concur with that. I *don't* want it.

Funniest quote:
And, says Jon Sanders, director of regulatory studies at the conservative John Locke Foundation, which opposes corporate incentives on the grounds that they distort the free market....
How much did it pain the author to put that in there? LMAO.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

I want it. I want it soooo badly. Give it to me, Jeffy B.