X (fka Twitter)

Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:59 pm A few people have tried launching alternative phones, and flopped. But maybe he'd be different + special.
Like I said, I think he'd pull in people just based on emotion. Trust in the government and media are at all time lows, not to mention corporations. If two of the biggest decided to pull Twitter from their phones just because he owns Twitter, I think a lot of folks would go that route not because of Elon, but because they're sick of the censorship and whatnot that's been going on.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

How the hell is this "Visual Arts"? Twitter keeps giving me Elon supporters, then labeling it something like "Cars" or "Technology" or "Writing" But it has nothing to do with any of those topics, it's just "I love Elon"
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

I have not noticed the tags. I'll start looking at them to see why I'm getting so many far left propagandists filling my feed lately. Bring back my OSU, Steelers, and sports memes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

"Automotive"
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

To be fair, that one I can understand why it was incorrectly tagged with "automotive". Replace Tesla with "Ford" and it'd be the same thing.
GORDON
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by GORDON »

I am really sick of all the Elon news lately. It's hit "Bush Derangement Syndrome" levels.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

If he would just declare Democrat to be the correct way to vote, he'd completely disappear from the news.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

Senator Hawley wants Apple to answer for some things.

This is on Apple Insider, so the defense of Apple is strong, and honestly, pretty accurate. However, they do dodge the question of why Apple helped to suppress the Chinese people by limiting AirDrop. They also dodged the slavery question.

And it's definitely political posturing on the part of Hawley (or am I being too cynical?).

Still, it does bring up a different question regarding the freedom of speech here versus the rest of the world. Who is in charge of the U.S.? Is it us or is it Europe or Asia? If Apple has to pull Twitter off their store because of concerns from ________ over their speech laws, then Apple needs to regionalize their app store. The U.S.' speech laws are different from Europe's which are different from, say, China's. One size does not fit all and pulling an app to fit the laws for some foreign country IS a stance against the freedom of speech whether Apple intends it or not.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:19 am However, they do dodge the question of why Apple helped to suppress the Chinese people by limiting AirDrop.
That is explicitly addressed in the article you linked. But does punt on slavery.
GORDON
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by GORDON »

Answer is probably "Because we wanted more money." The real answer, anyway.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:46 am
Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:19 am However, they do dodge the question of why Apple helped to suppress the Chinese people by limiting AirDrop.
That is explicitly addressed in the article you linked. But does punt on slavery.
As far as Zhengzhou's factory goes, after the rioting started, Apple sent a team to assess the situation.
Not an acceptable response.
AirDrop was limited in China for what Apple called testing, before the recent protests. Apple says that it is a world-wide change coming soon, to prevent a setting set by a user perhaps long ago, from allowing the unwilling receipt of nudes or other objectionable content while in public.
I don't buy it even a little bit. First of all, the claim implies it was working when the riots had begun, but was changed during them. (Are they riots or protests?) Secondly, even if they were doing a "test", doing so in an oppressive country before rolling it out to the rest of the world speaks volumes.

Also, I meant to post that article under Apple, not Twitter. Oh well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Fair enough, Though AirDrop should not be public/open by default. That feels like an easy “duh”
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:27 pm Fair enough, Though AirDrop should not be public/open by default. That feels like an easy “duh”
No argument there, but nobody that pays attention is going to accuse anyone in the tech industry of actually being concerned about user privacy. Particularly not Apple.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

Kayne needs serious help.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

George Takei is really upset his echo chamber is gone, and other folks are welcoming him to their Twitter experience for the prior several years.

Personally, I don't mind more diverse opinions in my feed. I just want my sports stuff and funny memes to dominate.
Apparently, there's a setting change that explains why people are seeing tweets they don't normally see.
GORDON
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by GORDON »

Probably the fault of Shatner's oversized ego, George.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:56 pm Apparently, there's a setting change that explains why people are seeing tweets they don't normally see.
I keep clicking "show fewer tweets from elon musk, and they keep showing up"

Yes, and also a bunch of right ring garbage.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Musk: Fires CSAM (child sexual abuse material) team

Musk: It's a disgrace that no one at twitter is working on CSAM.