X (fka Twitter)

Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:51 pm They are each and every one of them in the advertisement delivery business, and that's it.
This is 100% true. That's why more organized groups always go after advertisers when they want some change made. Conservatives have no such movement. Apparently their lives aren't miserable enough for them to care about this shit.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Kills 3rd party clients, lies about it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

Iconfactory, the company that made Twitterrific, said in a blog post that under Elon Musk’s management, the social media network has become “a Twitter that we no longer recognize as trustworthy nor want to work with any longer.”
Nope. They lost me right there. Elon's Twitter might not be trustworthy, but the Twitter prior to that was absolutely NOT trustworthy. They were fucking their users and their shareholders.

I'm not reading past that because why read someone's account when they start off with a lie? I'm going to guess that this is sour grapes from a company who got their way with incompetent old Twitter management, but aren't getting their way with new "actually wants to make a profit" Twitter management.

But "boo Elon" so I guess we're supposed to pretend these remora in the form of companies add something to the global environment?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Rug pulls are not cool. Twitterific has been around for 15 years, and Elon's twitter says "You're done"

I'm guessing the twitter clients' users are upset as well.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:02 pm Rug pulls are not cool.
Generally, I agree. For remora, I'd say it really would be based on what they actually added. I have never used a 3rd party Twitter app and it sounds like they are using the content of Twitter, but how is Twitter making money off of them? If they exist solely on Twitter's work and provide nothing to Twitter, fuck 'em.

A good example of this type of remora are the ticket resellers like Stub Hub. They offer NOTHING to the market except higher ticket prices and less ability to buy directly from venues.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe they could, I dunno, license the API?
Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:21 pm A good example of this type of remora are the ticket resellers like Stub Hub. They offer NOTHING to the market except higher ticket prices and less ability to buy directly from venues.
I mean, supply + demand is still a thing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:27 pm Maybe they could, I dunno, license the API?
Maybe they're heading that way? Do you know for sure one way or the other? I don't.
TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:27 pm I mean, supply + demand is still a thing.
Certainly, but these remora are filling voids that don't exist. Instead, they're taking advantage of situations. You can argue semantics or say it's a fine line and I would agree, but there IS a line.

If I create the next social media app and other businesses pop up to showcase my work, but on their platform and I get no profit from them...fuck that. I would stop it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:08 pm Certainly, but these remora are filling voids that don't exist. Instead, they're taking advantage of situations. You can argue semantics or say it's a fine line and I would agree, but there IS a line.
I like resale places. Not because I like them, but I like it a lot more than Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Here there's someone to complain to. CL, you're just fucked if you get screwed.
Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:08 pm If I create the next social media app and other businesses pop up to showcase my work, but on their platform and I get no profit from them...fuck that. I would stop it.
Sure, but I'd start that way, not decide 15 years later.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:18 pm I like resale places. Not because I like them, but I like it a lot more than Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Here there's someone to complain to. CL, you're just fucked if you get screwed.
I disagree. Same scam, different scammer. Oh sure, maybe your tickets are now guaranteed, but they're also insanely overpriced. Oh, and that's the normal price now since these "services" buy all available tickets instantly at face value.
TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:18 pm Sure, but I'd start that way, not decide 15 years later.
It is now well established that the previous management were complete morons and had no idea what they were doing. Just because those bigoted dipshits allowed it, the new owner has to as well?
GORDON
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by GORDON »

A guy scalping two tickets in front of the venue is illegal, because it drives up prices.

A company buying up 1000 tickets the first second they go on sale, and scalping them online for a massive markup is legal, because they must have bribed their local lawmaker.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:30 pm Oh, and that's the normal price now since these "services" buy all available tickets instantly at face value.
Proof?
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:46 pm A guy scalping two tickets in front of the venue is illegal, because it drives up prices.

A company buying up 1000 tickets the first second they go on sale, and scalping them online for a massive markup is legal, because they must have bribed their local lawmaker.
Exactly.
TheCatt wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:13 am
Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:30 pm Oh, and that's the normal price now since these "services" buy all available tickets instantly at face value.
Proof?
C'mon, do we have to do this? Do I need to also prove the sun will come up tomorrow? We all KNOW this is what happens. Want proof? Ask Taylor Swift. The entire purpose of why her Eras tour tickets were done the way they were (pre-register, lottery, then a specific day/time, queues, and a ticket limit) was spelled out by her and Ticketmaster, and that was to allow actual fans to get tickets and cut out the ticket resellers like StubHub.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

Interesting thread breaking down a lot of what is happening at Twitter, including how the previous management had shadow banning in the code.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Had a dream I went to work at twitter. My first day there, I solved some problem that had been bugging Elon a lot. So he brought me into a room with the "core devs." It was about 6-7 cafeteria tables with about 6 devs per table. He gave me a place at the head table where he sat. Then he brought some fancy hors d'oeuvres. Then, I was like, ugh, I just want to scroll reddit, I don't want to actually do any more work.
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

With that attitude you would have fit right in at the old Twitter...and Google...and Meta...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:44 pm With that attitude you would have fit right in at the old Twitter...and Google...and Meta...
I mean, does anyone really want to work all the damned time?
Leisher
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:54 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:44 pm With that attitude you would have fit right in at the old Twitter...and Google...and Meta...
I mean, does anyone really want to work all the damned time?
Normal people? No.

Workaholics? Yes.

Of course, smart normal people don't film themselves not working and then post it on social media for clout.
GORDON
Site Admin

Twitter

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:12 pm Workaholics? Yes.
Gotta work an extra 20 per week and miss put on your family so the boss's stock will go up a point.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."