The Republican Party

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by TheCatt »

Decent republican (based on the article) leave party over election attacks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/14/michiga ... biden.html
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

That guy is a hero. More politicians should be willing to separate from their parties.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

The Republican Party

Post by Cakedaddy »

Hero? He's doing it 10 minutes before retiring.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

I was going to point that out, but he's still doing it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

People want Marjorie Taylor Greene gone.

I'm 95% sure I agree (the other 5% wonders how much freedom of speech plays into this).

What are the rules about a Congressperson resigning or their party removing them? Can their party remove them? If so, what about independents?

IF the rule is that one she's gone the seat is open and an election is held, then I think that's stupid and needs to be changed. That alone would make either party hold onto the person forever.

The party should be enabled to remove the person AND select their successor to fulfill the rest of that person's term. However, it should be "for cause", and perhaps with the other parties' blessing? So, for example, if a congressperson began voting for the people instead of for his/her party it shouldn't be easy for the party to simply remove them for someone who will vote how they want. It should begin with obvious behavior issues, a petition from the public, a subcommittee hearing presided over by a member of the other party, and then the removal/nomination of the replacement. There needs to be a strict time limit on those actions too to remove the playing of politics.

Just a thought.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:53 am The party should be enabled to remove the person AND select their successor to fulfill the rest of that person's term.
Too much power to the party. The people elected her, they have to recall her. Or, should could be impeached, iirc.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:10 am Too much power to the party.
That's why I put in the requirement of help from the other party.

The whole point was to avoid either party letting someone like that stick around forever simply because they don't want to lose that seat.

Maybe just give the public the means to more easily recall such a person, BUT with the caveat that the next person to fulfill the term will be selected by the party? Or selected by the public, but only people registered to that party can run?
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:23 am BUT with the caveat that the next person to fulfill the term will be selected by the party? Or selected by the public, but only people registered to that party can run?
AGain, too much power to the party, but I see how you're trying to make it easier for a given party to put away their trash.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:47 am
Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:23 am BUT with the caveat that the next person to fulfill the term will be selected by the party? Or selected by the public, but only people registered to that party can run?
AGain, too much power to the party, but I see how you're trying to make it easier for a given party to put away their trash.
There's simply no motivation to do it now, and actually motivation to not do it (maintaining power). That's what I think we need to eliminate.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

CNN video showing why it's important to give the parties this ability.

That's a bigoted talking head spewing straight propaganda. Furthering the divide among the parties in the eyes of the masses. Allow the parties to eliminate such people WITH the help from the opposing party, and you bring people together. All of a sudden we're not as divided. When someone like MTG exists and one or the other party isn't allowing her to be dismissed, the blame falls easily at whoever is in charge of that step.

But let's be honest, nobody in Washington wants accountability to exist.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

The Republican Party

Post by Cakedaddy »

Things are spiraling very quickly. . . how are these people getting elected?
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

Now that we know some of the Capitol rioters didn't even vote...I don't know.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

Liz Cheney gaining support among Rs.

That's a sign that the GOP is starting to gain momentum moving away from Trump.

McConnell's complete turnaround is another.

Cake asked elsewhere about MTG, "how do these people keep getting elected?"

I think that's the most important question Rs need to figure out. Remember when Ds moved farther left thinking that's where the country wanted them and then lost massively in the elections? (Mainly prior to and including the Clinton-Trump election.) Ds had to figure out who their real base was and adapt. Turns out, it's not insane left wingers. It's moderate Dems. Rs are in the same boat now. Do they really think 70+M people voted for Trump because they're all QAnon believers or because they were voting for the letter R, were voting against the letter D, and so on?

I really wish moderates from both parties were steering their respective ships.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

Dems are going to force a vote on MTG.

As you read the article, they get into how all of her stuff was prior to winning office. That gave me some pause, until I read this:
As more and more information about Greene's past came out and as the congresswoman showed no remorse
It's kind of funny that this is essentially "cancel culture" tactics/logic, but this isn't a baker or celeb. This is a lawmaker.

Minority Leader McCarthy met with her for hours and suggested she apologize and show remorse. Clearly that isn't happening, so I have a feeling he's kind of taking the cowards way out and told the Ds to go ahead and force a vote. This means every R will have to decide on their own, which could be used against them come election season.

The smart play is to vote to remove her from committees. Like we discussed many moons ago prior to the Clinton-Trump election, "the parties need to stop coddling the extreme side of their political spectrum because it's not like those people will vote the other way."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

Cheney won her vote by over double the opposing votes.

I guess the GOP isn't all in Trumpland.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:24 pm I guess the GOP isn't all in Trumpland.
Only 1/3rd are crazy!
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:54 am
Leisher wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:24 pm I guess the GOP isn't all in Trumpland.
Only 1/3rd are crazy!
To be fair, crazy or just in areas where polling suggests most of their base are Trumpers?

Let's not forget how many Dems were throwing themselves head first into the far left less than 10 years ago because they thought that's what would win them elections.

I would also argue that 100% of politicians have some mental illness to want that job.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

The Republican Party

Post by Leisher »

Republicans still don't want the vaccine.

I'm guessing these are the Trumpers in the party.