Hero
75%
Traitor
25%

Total votes: 8

Malcolm

Re: Malcolm's catch all for government spying

Post by Malcolm »

Swedes get to talk to Julian. Only took four years for them to be reasonable.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Do you live in Baltimore? If you said yes, get ready to say goodbye to the last remnant of privacy you thought you had.
Since January, police in Baltimore have been testing an aerial surveillance system developed for military use in Iraq. The system records visible activity across an area as wide as thirty square miles for as much as ten hours at a time. Police can use it to work backward from an event, watching the comings and goings of people and cars to develop leads about who was involved. "Google Earth with TiVo capability," says the founder of the company that provides this system to Baltimore.

But the technology collects images of everyone and everything. From people in their backyards to anyone going from home to work, to the psychologist's or marriage counselor's office, to meetings with lawyers or advocacy groups, and to public protests. It's a powerful tool for law enforcement—and for privacy invasion.
No massive potential for misuse here.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

If it only captured public areas, I have no problem. But as that reads, I have a problem.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:If it only captured public areas, I have no problem. But as that reads, I have a problem.
To the gov't, it's all public.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Your in-flight calls are being snooped.

UK on Israel:
“The Israelis constitute a true threat to regional security, in particular because of the position of this country with respect to the Iranian dossier," a top secret file from Britain's intelligence-gathering unit reportedly read, despite the UK's professed support for Israel and the closeness between the two countries.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Big-ass commutation for Manning.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Wonder if Assange will follow through with his Twitter promise. I wasn't sure if he agreed to be sent to US or Sweden though.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Twitter discloses FBI data requests which conveniently prevented them from talking about said requests for a long period of time. Fuck you, FBI. Rot in hell and die.
Malcolm

Malcolm's catch all for government spying

Post by Malcolm »

Fucking wow.
“In some ways, I do think [leaking has] accelerated,” Pompeo said in the interview broadcast on Saturday. “I think there is a phenomenon, the worship of Edward Snowden, and those who steal American secrets for the purpose of self-aggrandizement or money or for whatever their motivation may be, does seem to be on the increase.”
You mean people who expose American secrets that highlight you breaking your own laws and straight up violating the civil rights of your own citizens? I wonder why the public tends to like them better than you. That's the director of the CIA there, who can't seem to understand why a populous doesn't like being lied to and spied on in the name of "security."
Leisher
Site Admin

The government spying thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That's a command failiure
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

That's a big boo boo
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Confirmed it was attempted murder by nerve gas.

That's fucked up.
Welcome to Russia...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Confirmed again.

I'm really digging my new cold war theory with this incident, Syria, and the Olympics stuff.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »