Traitor
25%

Total votes: 8

TheCatt
Site Admin

The government spying thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: We told a telecom-ish product to the UK, and they had all sorts of restrictions, and one of them was that no employee from our company could enter the room where production stuff ran, or use a terminal that connected to it. You had to tell someone, one room over, what to do, without being able to see what they were doing.
The problem with that is they're in the building, which means they're already past most of your firewalls and whatnot. Point being, it's a million times easier to hack from within a building than from outside of it.
Anything that connects to that room is isolated, so it's not the same firewalls. It's another set of firewalls, etc. It's like breaking into the house, but there's still a safe.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: We told a telecom-ish product to the UK, and they had all sorts of restrictions, and one of them was that no employee from our company could enter the room where production stuff ran, or use a terminal that connected to it. You had to tell someone, one room over, what to do, without being able to see what they were doing.
The problem with that is they're in the building, which means they're already past most of your firewalls and whatnot. Point being, it's a million times easier to hack from within a building than from outside of it.
Anything that connects to that room is isolated, so it's not the same firewalls. It's another set of firewalls, etc. It's like breaking into the house, but there's still a safe.
But you're still past the exterior walls...

Half the movie in caper films is getting TO the safe.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm generally OK with government (police, etc) using technology to do their fucking job.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I'm generally OK with government (police, etc) using technology to do their fucking job.
Ditto, but to a point.

Stop terrorism, sex trafficking, and crimes that threaten the fabric of society and whatnot.

Don't stop crimes that are misdemeanors and other such things. Then it becomes a police state and people start rebelling. I know it sounds odd, but you have to allow some crime for people to feel free.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Seems very unconstitutional
Right? Smells like something that SCOTUS is going to have to bitch slap out of existence once the inevitable lawsuits are filed.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The state of Ohio declared speed cameras unconstitutional, and a Toledo judge appealed it and they kept collecting revenue while it was being appealed, but the state just declared the appeal invalid.

Toledo suspending speed cameras and radar gun cops.

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/Tole ... 11701.html

I pass 2 fixed camera poles, and one spot where a cop is standing there behind a tree with a camera in a school zone 20% of the time, on my twice-daily commute.

Regular commuters know these spots, and slow down for them. They're going to drive even worse than they normally do, now. I'm really going to miss it in that school zone, because school zone speeders need to be pulled out of their cars and beaten on the street.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Regular commuters know these spots, and slow down for them. They're going to drive even worse than they normally do, now. I'm really going to miss it in that school zone, because school zone speeders need to be pulled out of their cars and beaten on the street.
Park a fucking cop car there. Even if there's no cop in it, people will slow down. You don't even need to do it every day. Just often enough that people think, "The cops love to run radar here."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Scotland believes hate speech in private homes must be prosecuted.

Soon Alexa and Siri will be listening for racist speech within homes. Then they'll be listening for conservative speech. Then anything anti-government...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Biden's administration using loopholes to spy on citizens.
By partnering with research firms who have more visibility in this space, the DHS could produce information that would likely be beneficial to both it and the FBI, which can't monitor US citizens in this way without first getting a warrant or having the pretext of an ongoing investigation. The CIA and NSA are also limited on collecting intelligence domestically.
Ah, America! The freest country in the world! Where people have to encrypt their grocery lists so Big Brother doesn't know their favorite cereal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'm fine with that. But, I think facial recognition should be everywhere. Like, I dunno, Chicago would be a great place to start.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:37 pm
I'm fine with that. But, I think facial recognition should be everywhere. Like, I dunno, Chicago would be a great place to start.
It would if the people in charge actually cared.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

They have to be paid to care
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Old hotness: video + audio surveillance are the police state.
New hotness: video + audio surveillance have shortcoming.
A gunshot detection system that has cost Chicago tens of millions of dollars and is touted as a critical component of the police department's effort to combat gun violence rarely produces evidence of gun-related crime in the city, Chicago's watchdog agency concluded.

In a scathing report released Tuesday, the Office of Inspector General's Public Safety section said the police department data it examined “does not support a conclusion that ShotSpotter is an effective tool in developing evidence of gun-related crime." And, the office concluded, if the department has information that shows ShotSpotter plays a key role in developing such evidence, its “record-keeping practices are obstructing a meaningful analysis of the effectiveness of the technology.”

The inspector general’s office found that between Jan. 1, 2020, and May 31 of this year, just over 50,000 ShotSpotter alerts were confirmed as probable gunshots, but that actual evidence of a gun-related crime was found in only about 4,500 instances, or about 9%.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Another couple arrested for selling secrets.

That is treason. Hang them. Not kidding.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:54 pm Another couple arrested for selling secrets.

That is treason. Hang them. Not kidding.
Like.