The car you drive

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:32 pm Hope it doesn't smell like piss.
I legit laughed.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

The car you drive

Post by Cakedaddy »

Our car needs have changed and my wife decided to brave the new car market since turning her lease in back in June. We decided to try to sell our 2019 Subaru. But I figured it was going to be a hard sell, given that most people will want/need to finance a purchase like this and would go to a dealer to work that out. Fewer people with that much cash to just pay for a vehicle. But, it is what it is. But then I saw an article about how much Carvana was paying for cars. So I figured, what the hell. Let's see what they offer. Entered my VIN, etc. Came back with an offer +/- $200 from what we paid for it (before tax and extended warranty). But the agreed price, after doc fees, destination, etc, is within $200 of what Carvana is paying for it. It's 2.5 years old with 36000 miles on it. Then I heard about Carmax and Varoom or something like that. I've heard about them, but never paid attention to them. Carmax came back with an offer $1400 more than Carvana. Varoom was the lowest.

Finished up the sale yesterday and have our check. I didn't bother to see what the car is selling for, because I don't think I'd have been able to sell it for retail anyway. Happy to drive a car for about 2.5 years for almost free.
Leisher
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by Leisher »

My dad recently did basically the same thing. Sold his car to Carvana and then leased a new one.

Congrats on the "easier than it used to be" cash
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

The car you drive

Post by Cakedaddy »

Ok, it's not a car, but just picked this up last week:

1983 Honda Interceptor VF750
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

That is a super sweet way to die!
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

The car you drive

Post by Cakedaddy »

Thanks mom.

But seriously, not a commuter for me. Will only be ridden on low traffic country roads in northern Michigan. Because I don't want to die.
Leisher
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by Leisher »

Why does that bike look like it escaped the 80s unscathed?
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

Looks like fun.

I thought you were nuts though a decade ago when you were into motorcross. I knew more than one person in their 40s, back then, who were completely unaware they were in their 40s and getting ridiculously serious injuries doing dumb things. :-D

"All I did was jump on his back but then he lost balance and i fell on my arm and now I only have 15% range of motion and every tendon disattached from my shoulder and forearm."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

The car you drive

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:30 am Why does that bike look like it escaped the 80s unscathed?
Because it did! It's an '83.

I trail ride the dirt bike. Motocross has never appealed to me. I mountain biked a couple of times and thought "This thing needs a motor".

But ya. I definitely don't want to grow old. Meaning, that I want to do things I'm too old for. Not that I want to die doing something stupid.
Leisher
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:46 pm Because it did! It's an '83.
Holy shit. I had no idea. I legit just thought it looked like something from the 80s. It's in amazing condition!
Cakedaddy

The car you drive

Post by Cakedaddy »

It's pretty much what I wanted back in '89, but it just didn't happen back then. I started showing my wife pictures of them one day doing random shit on the Internet. She said "You should get one". I'm like "No. It's the last thing I need. Totally impractical." It only took her about 30 more seconds of trying to convince me. Literally. She even found the enclosed trailer we rented to go pick it up, in southern Indiana. She's awesome.

Did you know U-Haul enclosed trailers are less than $20 a day to rent?
Leisher
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:29 am Did you know U-Haul enclosed trailers are less than $20 a day to rent?
Cheaper than the trucks Lowe's rents out.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

You can also rent UHauls to drive across the country when the rental car agencies are all booked solid.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:50 am How do you drive through deep snow, go pick up a half ton of top soil, make a lumber run, pick up a load of stone, hook up a trailer to take your lawn tractor to mow an old lady's grass for her, or drag a ton of tree around with a chain if you don't have a big truck?

I just don't even.
Yeah I famously have an EV, which is really paying for itself at the moment with $5+ gas prices. But this thread was originally about my 2011 Ford F-150, so here's a truck story:

I've had that thing all over the country, it's currently 11 years old and has 140k miles. The intermediate steering shaft is getting a little stiff and I'll have to lubricate it soon. NBD, instructions on YouTube.

So last weekend I had to pull a U-Haul trailer from Atlanta, to Toledo. 6'x12' trailer, double axel, its own braking system.

I was a little worried about both the transmission, and the cost of gas. I ordinarily get 18 MPG highway, and I was worried about getting half that. I can just BARELY get Toledo ---> Atlanta on a single tank of gas, arriving on fumes. I was concerned about 3x$100 fillups, with the trailer.

But nope. Setting the double trip odometer, I got 18MPG down, and 16.1MPG towing the trailer. I kept an eye on my transmission temp, and it didn't go up a single degree over typical. My truck has the "towing package" built in, so I read my manual and used it for the first time. Kept the transmission from shifting all over the place, and used engine braking going downhill in the Appalachians.

When she got me and mine home safely, I gave her a pat and told her she was good girl. She said she wants to go to Key West again.

So I say again.... how does anyone live without a truck?

"I'm bougie and I pay other people with trucks."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:53 am "I'm bougie and I pay other people with trucks."
I have a truck with a lid. Aka a minivan :)
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:59 am
GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:53 am "I'm bougie and I pay other people with trucks."
I have a truck with a lid. Aka a minivan :)
I'd throw a like on that if I could.
Leisher
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:59 am I have a truck with a lid. Aka a minivan
I am shamelessly stealing this line.
thibodeaux

The car you drive

Post by thibodeaux »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:53 am shaft is getting a little stiff and I'll have to lubricate it soon.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

I expected Catt to pick up on that sentence.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:46 am I expected Catt to pick up on that sentence.
Never had lubrication issues :)