"And these water balloons have some sort of white goo in them."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by TheCatt »

Finally got my pistol permit. It's good for 5 years, so I should probably get my pistol before then.

Glock says I should get: https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g17-gen4

Basically would be for shooting at the range for fun and theoretical home protection.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by Leisher »

When I clicked here it took me to the first page and I was crazy confused. Why is Cake asking about buying guns? He has them! Then I saw the date, but I want you to know that I still understood this reference:
GORDON wrote: Go in and ask for a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.
Congrats on the gun Catt.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Congrats on the gun Catt.
Well, I only have the permit at the moment...
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Congrats on the gun Catt.
Well, I only have the permit at the moment...
You're doing it backwards...or I did...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You're doing it backwards...or I did...
In NC, you have to get the permit to buy the gun first.
Cakedaddy

Gun questions

Post by Cakedaddy »

I would HIGHLY recommend you rent guns and try them before buying them. I don't care for Glocks. They just didn't feel right. Plus, everyone has a Glock. I don't like being grouped in with everyone. It's probably the official gun of NASCAR and the NFL.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: I would HIGHLY recommend you rent guns and try them before buying them. I don't care for Glocks. They just didn't feel right. Plus, everyone has a Glock. I don't like being grouped in with everyone. It's probably the official gun of NASCAR and the NFL.
I like super reliable guns, and I know very little, but heard Glocks were reliable.

But yes, planning on hitting the range soon.
Vince

Gun questions

Post by Vince »

I'd also spend some money to get an instructor to help with the firearm selection if you're not very familiar. My wife did that some years back when she was buying hers, and it helped to have a knowledgeable person there to tell her what was happening when she fired. She was anticipating the recoil and pushed down a tad with the lighter pistol. She went with one a little heavier and it resolved that. The instructor was able to pinpoint the issue for her.

If you're looking for reliable, the revolver is something to consider. If you find yourself in a life threatening situation, the adrenaline is going to have you firing very quickly. That's when jams occur.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Cakedaddy

Gun questions

Post by Cakedaddy »

I would argue that if you take care of your gun, it will be reliable. Sure, you could beat the shit out of a glock and it will still fire. But do you plan to beat the shit out of your gun, not clean it, leave it out in the rain, etc?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: I would argue that if you take care of your gun, it will be reliable. Sure, you could beat the shit out of a glock and it will still fire. But do you plan to beat the shit out of your gun, not clean it, leave it out in the rain, etc?
I really plan to leave it in a box most of the imte.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by TheCatt »

Well, I bought a gun. Picking was a bit slim. But, ended up with a pew pew that goes pew pew.
thibodeaux

Gun questions

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote: Well, I bought a gun. Picking was a bit slim. But, ended up with a pew pew that goes pew pew.
Where did you go? There's a shop up here about a mile or two from my house that usually has good selection but I guess w the apocalypse and all...
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by Leisher »

Gun sales are apparently way up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Well, I bought a gun. Picking was a bit slim. But, ended up with a pew pew that goes pew pew.
Where did you go? There's a shop up here about a mile or two from my house that usually has good selection but I guess w the apocalypse and all...
I ended up at Bass Pro Shops, cuz it seemed like they still had some guns in stock. They had a few boxes of ammo in reserve for people buying guns, so I got one of those. Otherwise they were cleaned out.
Leisher wrote: Gun sales are apparently way up.
They said they sold at least as many this week as the past 2 months combined. The guy I was talking to was not terrible impressed by the self-identified liberals who decided they suddenly needed a gun, but that other guns were still bad.

All shotguns were sold out. I know nothing about rifles, and had my handgun permit. A large # of people did not realize they needed permits, etc.

Got a Sig Sauer P320 cuz the Glocks were sold out, and I hadn't thought far enough ahead to come up with a backup. My wife had told me to get a gun last night, so I did.
thibodeaux

Gun questions

Post by thibodeaux »

I had been meaning to restock my ammo for a while but I guess I’ll wait until post-post-apocalypse
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun questions

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: The guy I was talking to was not terrible impressed by the self-identified liberals who decided they suddenly needed a gun, but that other guns were still bad.
Those people only impress themselves.