Gun questions

For stuff that is general.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Yeah, I was looking at those, too. Let me know how you like it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Will do.

Some of the stuff I read had to do with them selling out pretty quickly.
When I bought mine, some guy was checking it out (I got the only one one stock... nya nya!).
Also, another customer said he had a Ruger LCP without the laser and he loves it.

I was looking at the LC9 but they only had one without the laser. The guy called his supplier and they were sold out and had no idea how long it'd be before they would come in.

Note: Buy it with the laser bundled on. It's a lot cheaper than adding one on yourself. For example, I think it cost about $75 or $80 more to get the LC9 with the laser, but if you buy the laser separately it costs more than twice as much.

I ordered some accessories for my new LCP on CheaperThanDirt.com. I got some more ammo (jacketed hollow points), a lockable carrying case, a 15 cartridge magazine (which will stick out a bunch but oh well, it's for plinking. Also, reviews on Amazon are bad, but someone said that he read on forums that it works great if you tap it after loading it,which ended up working for him too), and a concealed holster.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Lasers, huh.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Frick'n lasers!

The laser showed me that my point of aim jiggles around a lot more than I thought it did.
Also, when pulling the trigger (unloaded, and uncocked) I was surprised at how much it moved me off target.

But now that I can see the movement it's easy to correct.

Also with the laser, I can practice drawing it quickly, so I can develop a good feel for pointing it exactly where I want to point it without the sites or laser.

Edited By Paul on 1327173106
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I scoff at all of your usages of laser sights on a hand gun. And mock it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

My daughter used the laser to make the dog run around and go crazy in the house.

My brother has a Glock 21 (.45) and when I told him I got a .380 he asked if I got the pink one.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:My brother has a Glock 21 (.45) and when I told him I got a .380 he asked if I got the pink one.
I would have said, "I didn't know they sold those to men."
Paul

Post by Paul »

You're just jealous because you'll never have anything dangerous in your pants.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:You're just jealous because you'll never have anything dangerous in your pants.
Not even a honey badger?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Except for the honey badger.
You got me there.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Looks like it's $60 in KY for a conceal/carry permit.
Plus whatever the class is (I think $75).

I'll wait until my girlfriend is free and see if she'll take it with me. (You know, to hold my hand when the gun makes the loud bangy noise)

Until then I'll have to rely on my concealed honey badger.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Oh man, I only bought the normal edition!
http://www.guns.com/the-ruger-lcr-zombie-slayer-edition.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

I finally shot the Elsie yesterday
I set up a 10 gallon barrel on some firewood at 10 yards and took a couple shots at it.
Then I examined the damage and went back, and emptied the clip into it.
Each shot got progressively lower.

The exit holes made a smiley face:

Since a .380 is basically a short 9mm which is basically a short .38 Special which is basically a short .357 Magnum I was a little worried about being on the low end of the power spectrum.
I fired some shots into a solid piece of oak, then I split the wood until I found the bullets.

Shooting into the grain:
I was surprised to see that it penetrated about as far as the .38 & .357 slugs that I pulled out of oak at my father in law's place.

Against the grain:

The penetration wasn't as good against the grain (as expected) and the bullet made a substantial turn.

I am pleased with my purchase. It is easy to conceal, light, holds 6+1 cartridges, and is pretty accurate.

The laser is intimidating. I mean, if I was a villain and that laser lit me up it would bring a humbling reality to the situation. It's sort of like being shot without being shot yet. It's almost like a violation.

Besides, getting a gun with a laser fulfills a promise I made to myself when I was a kid and saw the first Terminator movie.

This is not a gun I would take to a gun fight. The iron sights are tiny (so as not to snag in your pocket) and a .380 doesn't have the stopping power of a larger caliber weapon. Plus, the shorter barrel decreases accuracy.
This *is* a gun I could comfortably stick in my pocket and so it is something I'd could have on my person if trouble finds me.

I honestly don't expect to carry it around town, but I am likely to have it on my person when I take my dogs for walks.

Everything is a tradeoff with handguns.
If I was just interested in plinking I'd get a .22 LR handgun because the ammo is dirt cheap ($16 for 500 rounds, about 1/10 of what .380's cost) and recoil is minimal. (I might get one. They seem like a lot of fun.)
If I was just interested in home protection I'd get a .38 Special or maybe a .40, because I want my shots to count.
If I did a lot of target practice and wanted it for home protection too I'd probably get a 9mm, because it has good stopping power and the ammo is cheap.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I decided to site in the laser to the LCP this morning.
I went from it being a couple inches off to it being 6 inches off to it being way off the paper.
Ugh.

I couldn't tell were the shots were going at that point.
Then I thought, "Duh. Use the iron sights."

I wasn't sure if the irons sites were accurate so I used them and put a hole an inch from the bulls eye on my first shot.
After that sighting in the laser was easy.

I put several more clips through the .380.

Oh, I did make one mistake. Mid way through I took off my 25 DB ear ear muffs and forgot to put them back on before firing a cartridge.

That mofo is loud! In fact, I found myself wincing in anticipation of the boom after that. I had to force myself to do a long smooth trigger pull rather than yanking the trigger.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I ended up getting a 12 gauge last week so I could do some turkey hunting this week.
It's a Mossberg 535 which is a lower end gun, but suites my purposes.

I've been shooting 3.5" shells in it and it kicks like a mule.
It is *not* fun to shoot, but I'll only be using it for Spring & Fall turkey hunts, and home protection.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Get that weapon in a really tight, firm prone position so your whole body takes the recoil instead of just your shoulder.
Paul

Post by Paul »

thibodeaux wrote:Yeah, I was looking at those, too. Let me know how you like it.
I've had it awhile now, and I like it.
If it's not too bright you can see the laser outside at 20 yards, but I don't like to shoot it that distance, and when I do I prefer using the iron sights.

The LCP is a close quarters weapon, made to shoot at nearby threats. I know the KY CCW test is at 7 yards, but I tend to shoot it at ten yards in my back yard.

It has a long pull instead of a safety but once you get used to it it's no big deal.
Some people on the forums complain of "trigger slap" but once they get used to shooting it with a firm grip that goes away.
I really don't shoot it enough to get a sore finger. It's not a plinking gun, so I might go through two clips before shooting something else.
If I wanted to plink with a handgun I'd get a .22LR because ammo is dirt cheap, has less recoil, and not as loud (especially if you get the sub-sonic ammo). I guess a 9mm would be my second choice for plinking because ammo is cheaper and it can double as a defensive round. They're bigger though, so they'd be less fun to lug around in my pocket when I take the dogs on hikes in the woods.

*If* I did use my wallet holster to carry my Ruger LCP every time I go into my woods (in case of coyote or venomous snake) it would be small enough that I would forget it was there most of the time. It's technically illegal to do that without a CCW until the signed bill goes into law this July.

So I would say that the LCP is an inferior target shooting gun, slightly inferior to the 9mm as far as stopping power, but superior to carry around and forget about it.

IMO, if you want target shooting and home protection, get a 9mm.
If you only want home protection get a .38 Special or larger (.357, .45, etc.). Get the biggest caliber that your weakest shooter is comfortable shooting. I think most wives will prefer a .38 Special.
If you only want to plink, get a .22LR.
If you want to carry/conceal, get a .380 or 9mm depending on what you're comfortable carrying.
Paul

Post by Paul »

GORDON wrote:Get that weapon in a really tight, firm prone position so your whole body takes the recoil instead of just your shoulder.

I do brace myself and hold it firm against my shoulder.
I probably screw up the stance though.
It really digs into my collar bone.

I didn't know that Marines use Mossberg's sometimes.
Paul

Post by Paul »

When I took my CCDW (carry/conceal/deadly/weapon) class we set our firearms on a counter up front. He pulled my Ruger LCP and said that it was the same weapon that he carries as backup. He also said it was an excellent weapon and passed it around class so that people could see what he recommended. There were maybe 30 people in class.

When we hit the range I felt a little pressure because I was using "the gun." You need to land only 11/20 shots anywhere on the silhouette. I hear legally blind people have passed the test so I wasn't worried about failing, I just wanted to be accurate.

From what I saw, I probably had the 2nd best grouping of the class. The #1 guy user a revolver with a 6" or 7" barrel.

I was surprised at how many people didn't correct their shots. They'd have a pretty right group, but not on the center of the target.

After we qualified on the range one guy asked to see my target, then said he planned on getting a Ruger LCP too.

My rifle is a Henry .44. I got it (over the .357) because it's a better hunting rifle, and Henry makes a beautiful firearm.
I have some thick brush in my area and I've read that a .270 and even a .30-06 will deflect with small branches but a .44 magnum will cut through the brush fairly well.

Lately I've been eyeballing a cheap .44 magnum revolver which can be used for hunting and uses the same ammo as my rifle but I'm afraid that Cakedaddy's wife will tease me if I get one. :(
Cakedaddy wrote:The wife kept pointing out the overly huge, massive Dirty Harry revolvers.

Edited By Paul on 1351911935
Paul

Post by Paul »

Basically before I get the .44 magnum handgun I want to know if having one will nix the chances of Cakedaddy's wife ever sleeping with me.

I know how mush she likes small things.

Edited By Paul on 1351913225