Tipping

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

Honestly, it's out of fucking control and we need it reigned in immediately.

Less than 20 years ago, 15% was a good tip. Somehow that's the minimum these days. Also, loads of jobs that used to not get tipped now get tipped. UberEats workers and their ilk won't deliver food unless there is a tip attached. Many food chains have tip options for when you order food online. Why am I tipping BEFORE getting service? Also, what exactly are they doing to earn that tip? Aren't they already being paid to do the job?

Tips used to be for good service. At what point did they become a bribe and a way for the consumer to offset shit wages paid by corporate America?

Why am I being asked to tip 18, 20, or 22% on most kiosks? When did 20% become standard? Will 50% be the standard in another few decades?

CNN's headline story today, it irritates me this is on a Saturday because this conversation needs to be had, is on tipping.

Side note: Tensions are escalating between the U.S. and Iran with actual military action happening and casualties. Also, Putin is making more nuclear threats and moving them into Belarus. Point being, weird that tipping is the top story.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:57 pm Honestly, it's out of fucking control and we need it reigned in immediately.
srsly.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Tipping

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:57 pm a way for the consumer to offset shit wages paid by corporate America?
Since always. Minimum wage for wait staff is like half what it is for everyone else. When I was a waiter, I was paid $2.33/hour + tips. Cooks, etc were paid $5.xx-7.xx.

I don't mind tipping, but I don't always do 20%. Pizza delivery, 20%. If I'm going to the store to pick it up, a few dollars regardless of what the total cost of the food is. Having been a waiter, I tend to tip more (always have, since being a waiter). I also tip in cash 95% of the time. I dunno. I feel pretty good about my financial position and the amount of luck I've had getting to where I've gotten. And having been in their shoes, I know how much an amount that really doesn't mean that much to me, means to them.

But I also don't do Uber eats, etc, because I think the fee to get the food to you (including tip) is more than I want to pay. Justified? Sure. I mean, they make so little I don't want to do what they are doing. But I also don't want to pay that much, so I don't. Also, since I tip in cash, my food would never get delivered anyway. Also, McDonald's is only good for about 10 minutes after it hits the bag. No way it gets to me that fast.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

What an asshole.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by TheCatt »

There's a pizza place near us where we get pickup sometimes. And if I drive the Porsche, my spouse feels obligated to tip extra. (The parking is right in front of the restaurant, with floor to ceiling glass windows)
GORDON
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by GORDON »

Soooorta amusing that there are a million of these "entitled, angry delivery driver" videos out there, but the one that finally goes wide is the mature white male. Finally, someone it's ok to mock.

But yeah, I've greatly cut down on my delivery orders. I don't want to be the $4, 30% tip that is the last straw for a driver on the edge of his/her sanity.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

My wife was telling me that at the Taylor Swift concert there was a "Add a Tip" option at the merchandise stand.

Tipping is out of fucking control and as a society we need to start pushing back hard.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

Cunt proves she's entitled, stupid, and sexist.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by TheCatt »

I hate tipping now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:47 pm I hate tipping now.
Ditto and I have historically been an overtipper.

They lost me when they started demanding tips before service was provided.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

CNN piece ripping DoorDash and tipping.
“Orders with no tip might take longer to get delivered — are you sure you want to continue?” This message is currently prompted to some customers placing an order without adding a tip.
WTF do we continue to allow ourselves to get fucked at every turn as consumers?
GORDON
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by GORDON »

I don't. I don't use DD. And my kid stopped, too. Realized the fees were ridiculous.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by TheCatt »

We have a CC that removes most (but not all) of the DD fees, which makes it reasonable. And, if ordering for a family of four, our tip is large enough that our order gets picked up fast.
Leisher wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:01 pm WTF do we continue to allow ourselves to get fucked at every turn as consumers?
Don't quite get your perspective?

I 100% disagree with the CNN thing. You want service? Pay for it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:16 pm Don't quite get your perspective?

I 100% disagree with the CNN thing. You want service? Pay for it.
Bullshit. You want a good tip? Earn it. And I say that as someone who has always over tipped. (It's an Italian thing apparently.)

A salary or fee is what you get to do an agreed upon job/task. A tip is a bonus for service performed. Tips are OPTIONAL. By feeding into a system where we make tips essentially mandatory we are then reducing the incentive for good service. We're fucking ourselves over by driving up costs and reducing our own spending power.

And here's a thought, DoorDash is the employer providing the service, yes? How about they pay their fucking employees and put a better policy in place than "Fuck the customers. Just deliver to whomever you want and ignore the rest." Why in the hell would anyone give them business? Oh, but they can't pay better or then their quarterly profits wouldn't look as good, and then would displease their Wall St. masters.

Additionally, why has the normal tip percentage skyrocketed? Tips used to be 10-15%. Now there are legitimately people who think 20% is the minimum. That's not how it works. The cost of things go up, which would naturally push up the amount of money your 10-15% tip is worth. The percentage you get should NEVER be driven up by inflation, cost of living, or any other justification.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:34 pm k. A tip is a bonus for service performed.
Yeah, getting my food here before it gets cold.
Leisher wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:34 pm Additionally, why has the normal tip percentage skyrocketed? Tips used to be 10-15%.
I thought they used to be 15-20%, you cheap bastard.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:45 pm Yeah, getting my food here before it gets cold.
You're pre-tipping, so you have no guarantee of that. You're paying extra hoping for good service. Not a good fiscal policy.
TheCatt wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:45 pm I thought they used to be 15-20%, you cheap bastard.
10-15% I still remember all the receipts and discussions among adults when I was a kid.

FYI, I've always tipped 20% or more unless your service was dogshit. Even then, I've never not tipped someone.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:24 pm You're pre-tipping, so you have no guarantee of that. You're paying extra hoping for good service. Not a good fiscal policy.
It works.
Leisher wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:24 pm 10-15% I still remember all the receipts and discussions among adults when I was a kid.
When I was a kid, 10% was cheap/something was wrong, 15% was solid/good/the norm, 20% was exceptional.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:29 pmIt works.
For you. For society, it sucks.
TheCatt wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:29 pm When I was a kid, 10% was cheap/something was wrong, 15% was solid/good/the norm, 20% was exceptional.
Yea, 10% was always the bottom end. 12% was meh, but 15% was the top. A 20% tip was rare, was NEVER listed on receipts to "help" you know what to tip, etc. Now there are business owners writing signs saying if you can't tip 20% don't come and I've seen receipts with 22%-24% as the lowest option. Hell, the bagel place I hit in the morning has three options: 18, 20, and 22.

Even if 20% was exceptional when we were kids, there is still no valid justification for it being on the low side of expected tips these days. That percentage should never be affected by economic factors, just the actual service. And the thing is, service has done nothing but get worse.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:48 pm Hell, the bagel place I hit in the morning has three options: 18, 20, and 22.
yeah, that is ridiculous.
GORDON
Site Admin

Tipping

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:24 pm You're pre-tipping, so you have no guarantee of that. You're paying extra hoping for good service. Not a good fiscal policy.
"They already tipped, I can drop theirs off last."

I predicted, sarcastically, tip expectations at drive through windows, eventually. I was laughed at, of course. And here we are, I'm right a-fucking-gain.

It's because stupid people are easy to read.